LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 6:26 pm

wilson wrote:I FOUND MY BRAVES HAT!!! It was twisted up inside one of my shirts.
Conclusions:
1. I am, as ever, a) utterly helpless with regard to finding things, and b) something of a slob...not a good combination.
2. I was apparently a bit drunker than I thought I was on Sunday evening.

But of course, the real upshot of the whole thing is that we are now reunited. I don't have to drop 25 bones on a new hat, and I don't have to go to the trouble of breaking a new one in.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome, congrats man. \:D/

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 29th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Yay Wilson!
booo braves.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 29th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I agree...boo Braves.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 29th, 2009, 9:02 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I agree...boo Braves.
Any other PWs feel free to chime in. You don't even have to like baseball. I hate baseball. I blame it on the braves.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 9:51 pm

colchar wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Favorite channels: 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's (no disco @$&*), classic rock, some jazz and Christian comtemporary.

Sorry to nitpick but, as a historian, I simply cannot let this slide without commenting as it is one of my major pet peeves and it drives me freakin' nuts.

When writing out decades, as you did above (40's, 50's, 60's, 70's), there is no apostrophe needed between the numbers and the letter. If you leave out the first two digits (ie. 18, 19, whatever) then you need one. But none is used between the number and the letter 's'. So what you have above should be written as '40s, '50s, '60s, 70s. If you keep the first two digits it would read 1850s, 1950s, etc.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled PWing.
I stand corrected. :oops:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 9:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
colchar wrote:But none is used between the number and the letter 's'. So what you have above should be written as '40s, '50s, '60s, 70s. If you keep the first two digits it would read 1850s, 1950s, etc.
Just being a nitpicker and pointing out you screwed up on your own rule. :D :-B
:)) :)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 9:53 pm

wilson wrote:I FOUND MY BRAVES HAT!!! It was twisted up inside one of my shirts.
Conclusions:
1. I am, as ever, a) utterly helpless with regard to finding things, and b) something of a slob...not a good combination.
2. I was apparently a bit drunker than I thought I was on Sunday evening.

But of course, the real upshot of the whole thing is that we are now reunited. I don't have to drop 25 bones on a new hat, and I don't have to go to the trouble of breaking a new one in.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yea, but will it help them maul the Marlins? :roll:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Any other PWs feel free to chime in. You don't even have to like baseball. I hate baseball. I blame it on the braves.
I like the Braves, but not as much as I used to since TBS dropped them. Watched 'em for about 30 years.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 29th, 2009, 10:01 pm

devildeac wrote:
I like the Braves, but not as much as I used to since TBS dropped them. Watched 'em for about 30 years.
Bingo! ...and I miss the long gone announcers.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 29th, 2009, 10:06 pm

devildeac wrote:
colchar wrote:But none is used between the number and the letter 's'. So what you have above should be written as '40s, '50s, '60s, 70s. If you keep the first two digits it would read 1850s, 1950s, etc.
:)) :)) =)) =))
We could make money editing papers of importance here. Screw advertising, we have brain power. At the very least we'll make sure the professor laughs.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 29th, 2009, 10:06 pm

I remember the Dale Murphy-Bob Horner Braves.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 10:09 pm

captmojo wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Bingo! ...and I miss the long gone announcers.
Skip, Ernie, Pete and Don among the ones I remember most fondly.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 29th, 2009, 10:11 pm

If you're into streaming music radio stations, I suggest that you bookmark this site...
http://www.radio-locator.com/
These folks list nearly every radio station in the world. I highly recommend London's Jazz FM. *-:)
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 29th, 2009, 10:13 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I remember the Dale Murphy-Bob Horner Braves.
I remember when the National League pitchers and coaches finally figured out that Murphy couldn't find a slider.
The end.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Baseball sucks. It is the third most boring sport on the planet after cricket and soccer. And the Braves suck more than any other major league team. They all suck, but the Braves really fucking suck.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2009, 10:56 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
colchar wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Favorite channels: 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's (no disco @$&*), classic rock, some jazz and Christian comtemporary.

Sorry to nitpick but, as a historian, I simply cannot let this slide without commenting as it is one of my major pet peeves and it drives me freakin' nuts.

When writing out decades, as you did above (40's, 50's, 60's, 70's), there is no apostrophe needed between the numbers and the letter. If you leave out the first two digits (ie. 18, 19, whatever) then you need one. But none is used between the number and the letter 's'. So what you have above should be written as '40s, '50s, '60s, 70s. If you keep the first two digits it would read 1850s, 1950s, etc.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled PWing.
I double checked with Grammar Girl, and colchar (how do you pronounce your name? Three out of four Beach Babes pronounce it differently than the fourth.) is correct.

It is pronounced coal-char (as in char-broiled). When I first started posting on DBR I was in a long-term relationship with a girl named Charlotte so I took my post name from our joint email account which was simply the combination of my name (Colin...and no, it is not pronounced the way Colin Powell pronounces his name) and her name. So who of the Beach Babes got it right? And what the hell were y'all saying about me when you were drunk on the beach ;)
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2009, 10:57 pm

Fuck, I hate making typos when I'm trying to point something out. In my defense, I have been drinking.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2009, 10:59 pm

bjornolf wrote:That used to bother me, being the son of an english teacher, but it's become SO pervasive throughout society these days that I've found it's easier on the nerves to just ignore it. I've even caught myself doing it once or twice, and had to go back and fix it when I noticed.

%%-

Actually, the way most people do it used to be the accepted standard (I recently found an old article written by the professor who drilled the rule into my head in which he had used the apostrophe) but that has now changed.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » July 29th, 2009, 11:00 pm

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
I double checked with Grammar Girl, and colchar (how do you pronounce your name? Three out of four Beach Babes pronounce it differently than the fourth.) is correct.

It is pronounced coal-char (as in char-broiled). When I first started posting on DBR I was in a long-term relationship with a girl named Charlotte so I took my post name from our joint email account which was simply the combination of my name (Colin...and no, it is not pronounced the way Colin Powell pronounces his name) and her name. So who of the Beach Babes got it right? And what the hell were y'all saying about me when you were drunk on the beach ;)
Hmmm. That's how I've always pronounced your screenname. I didn't realize there were alternatives.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 29th, 2009, 11:12 pm

Sue71 wrote:
colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

Hmmm. That's how I've always pronounced your screenname. I didn't realize there were alternatives.
Me too, except the explanation doesn't seem right. First syllable in Charlotte is phonically not "Char", is it? More like "Shar", perhaps?