Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2009, 12:43 pm

wilson wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
Ouch. Touche. :(( Problem is, with my preschoolers, I only get to listen for about four minutes at a time, or about one song. Then I have to run off and chase them for 20 minutes.

%%-
Reason number 9,672 why I don't want kids anytime soon.
:-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
I worship the Blue Devil!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » July 29th, 2009, 1:38 pm

wilson wrote: Pandora is a streaming music service on the interweb, and it's flippin' awesome.
I no longer use Pandora for the simple fact that I suffer from DDT (Damn Dial Turner) syndrome and they will only let you forward past one song a certain number of times.

So I keep with Yahoo's Launchcast, or go straight to local radio stations by way of google and listen to their streaming live options.
Also known to frequent Live365, Slacker or Spinner (through AOL/CBS) radio.

What are your favorite stations/online sites for free radio??
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2009, 1:58 pm

knights68 wrote:
wilson wrote: Pandora is a streaming music service on the interweb, and it's flippin' awesome.
I no longer use Pandora for the simple fact that I suffer from DDT (Damn Dial Turner) syndrome and they will only let you forward past one song a certain number of times.

So I keep with Yahoo's Launchcast, or go straight to local radio stations by way of google and listen to their streaming live options.

This is another reason I am considering satellite radio. I can call it up on the internet.

I listen to Jimmy Buffett, Celtic music, 40's, Abba (that's right), Billy Joel, and 80's with some classical thrown in every once in a while.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 2:20 pm

knights68 wrote:

Sirius/XM in our coupe and CD's in the other vehicles. Yea, we're that old. I HATE the radio. :oops: :roll:

Favorite channels: 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's (no disco @$&*), classic rock, some jazz and Christian comtemporary.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » July 29th, 2009, 2:37 pm

devildeac wrote:
knights68 wrote:

Sirius/XM in our coupe and CD's in the other vehicles. Yea, we're that old. I HATE the radio. :oops: :roll:

Favorite channels: 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's (no disco @$&*), classic rock, some jazz and Christian comtemporary.
I used to have XM (it's still in the car radio setup but I don't subscribe anymore). It was great when I'd drive back & forth from VA to NJ or NC, but otherwise when I'm mostly driving in town, I don't see the point in spending the money. If I was driving back & forth to LV more, I might consider it. Might.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Sue71 wrote:
I used to have XM (it's still in the car radio setup but I don't subscribe anymore). It was great when I'd drive back & forth from VA to NJ or NC, but otherwise when I'm mostly driving in town, I don't see the point in spending the money. If I was driving back & forth to LV more, I might consider it. Might.
It doesn't make too much sense for me, either. I only ever wish I had it when I'm somewhere that I can't get the Braves game. That's usually not a problem though, since I very rarely drive anywhere outside Georgia or the Carolinas, and I keep a little list in my car of every Braves radio affiliate. Generally, I'm very, very happy with just an iPod, the Braves, and NPR.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 29th, 2009, 2:55 pm

wilson wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
It doesn't make too much sense for me, either. I only ever wish I had it when I'm somewhere that I can't get the Braves game. That's usually not a problem though, since I very rarely drive anywhere outside Georgia or the Carolinas, and I keep a little list in my car of every Braves radio affiliate. Generally, I'm very, very happy with just an iPod, the Braves, and NPR.
Do you subscribe to mlb.com's gameday audio? $14.95/year for EVERY game, home and away broadcast. I rarely miss a Yankee game!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 3:41 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Do you subscribe to mlb.com's gameday audio? $14.95/year for EVERY game, home and away broadcast. I rarely miss a Yankee game!
Someday, I presume that I will, but I really just don't need to right now. Since I live in Atlanta, it's rather rare that I can't get the game.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2009, 3:55 pm

devildeac wrote:

Sorry to nitpick but, as a historian, I simply cannot let this slide without commenting as it is one of my major pet peeves and it drives me freakin' nuts.

When writing out decades, as you did above (40's, 50's, 60's, 70's), there is no apostrophe needed between the numbers and the letter. If you leave out the first two digits (ie. 18, 19, whatever) then you need one. But none is used between the number and the letter 's'. So what you have above should be written as '40s, '50s, '60s, 70s. If you keep the first two digits it would read 1850s, 1950s, etc.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled PWing.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2009, 3:58 pm

colchar wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Sorry to nitpick but, as a historian, I simply cannot let this slide without commenting as it is one of my major pet peeves and it drives me freakin' nuts.

When writing out decades, as you did above (40's, 50's, 60's, 70's), there is no apostrophe needed between the numbers and the letter. If you leave out the first two digits (ie. 18, 19, whatever) then you need one. But none is used between the number and the letter 's'. So what you have above should be written as '40s, '50s, '60s, 70s. If you keep the first two digits it would read 1850s, 1950s, etc.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled PWing.
I double checked with Grammar Girl, and colchar (how do you pronounce your name? Three out of four Beach Babes pronounce it differently than the fourth.) is correct.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 29th, 2009, 4:01 pm

colchar wrote:But none is used between the number and the letter 's'. So what you have above should be written as '40s, '50s, '60s, 70s. If you keep the first two digits it would read 1850s, 1950s, etc.
Just being a nitpicker and pointing out you screwed up on your own rule. :D :-B
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 5:24 pm

That used to bother me, being the son of an english teacher, but it's become SO pervasive throughout society these days that I've found it's easier on the nerves to just ignore it. I've even caught myself doing it once or twice, and had to go back and fix it when I noticed.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
knights68

HAH, IN YOUR FACE!

Post by knights68 » July 29th, 2009, 5:24 pm

;;) hehehehehehe :ymsmug: suckers..... :ymsmug: my girlfriend is coming over ;) and bringing me... :p her world famous ..... \:D/ choco :ymapplause: chip :ymhug: cookies!!! :D and sorry folks, none for you :D
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: HAH, IN YOUR FACE!

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2009, 5:28 pm

knights68 wrote:;;) hehehehehehe :ymsmug: suckers..... :ymsmug: my girlfriend is coming over ;) and bringing me... :p her world famous ..... \:D/ choco :ymapplause: chip :ymhug: cookies!!! :D and sorry folks, none for you :D
You're mean!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2009, 5:29 pm

I feel like I'm back in high school. I bought an academic calendar at the medical center bookstore and because it is black I bought Duke stickers to put on the cover of the calendar. Mission accomplished!
knights68

Post by knights68 » July 29th, 2009, 5:30 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
You're mean!
uummm yeah! :)) /:) :D ;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 29th, 2009, 5:30 pm

knights68 wrote:;;) hehehehehehe :ymsmug: suckers..... :ymsmug: my girlfriend is coming over ;) and bringing me... :p her world famous ..... \:D/ choco :ymapplause: chip :ymhug: cookies!!! :D and sorry folks, none for you :D
:( :( :( :( :(( :(( ... :-? :-? ... :ymtongue: :ymtongue: :ymtongue: ... L-)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 5:58 pm

Ymm... cookies! ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 6:16 pm

I FOUND MY BRAVES HAT!!! It was twisted up inside one of my shirts.
Conclusions:
1. I am, as ever, a) utterly helpless with regard to finding things, and b) something of a slob...not a good combination.
2. I was apparently a bit drunker than I thought I was on Sunday evening.

But of course, the real upshot of the whole thing is that we are now reunited. I don't have to drop 25 bones on a new hat, and I don't have to go to the trouble of breaking a new one in.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sue71

Wilson Wilson Wilson!

Post by Sue71 » July 29th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Go to FB. NOW.

Check my status. I dedicated it to you.

:ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar!
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.