Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 8:49 am

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Yogurt, matzah ball soup, or pastrami?
Discuss.
Why are you limiting yourself? Matzah ball soup as an appetizer, pastrami as the main course, and your favorite yogurt as a healthy dessert.
Why not add BUD LIGHT to the discussion too?

The problem is that we live in Lexington, KY, and neither MBS nor pastrami have a foothold in the Bluegrass State.

Is there a good pastrami place in Dulles Airport?
There's a couple of sandwich places in the airport, but nothing with good pastrami. However, the Chutzpah Deli that I've been talking about is only about twenty minutes away. If you can extend a layover a little, I could pick you up and we could go grab a sandwich. Or, if you tell me what you want and you could meet me outside of security, I could just bring you something and we could eat at the airport. Hey, Boneman, would you be up for a sandwich with our resident lemur friend? ;)

I'm not personally a MBS fan, but I've heard from others that their MBS is pretty good too. I could include a bowl of that.

Seriously, if you can tell me when you'll be coming through, I'd be up for it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 29th, 2009, 8:56 am

TillyGalore wrote:
Miles wrote:
Discuss.
Why are you limiting yourself? Matzah ball soup as an appetizer, pastrami as the main course, and your favorite yogurt as a healthy dessert.

The problem is that we live in Lexington, KY, and neither MBS nor pastrami have a foothold in the Bluegrass State.

Perhaps ILJ will have a Woodie flown in from Carnegie Deli. ;) ;) :D :D
Better you have a woodie for ILJ :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

I'll bet they have a good place for Bud Lights at the Dulles airport. Ooooh! How long is your layover? Maybe one of our NoVa folks can bring you soup and sammie from the Chotzpah deli they've been bragging about between flights?!!!!! Bunchofnumbers? Bjornolf?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 29th, 2009, 8:58 am

Ah! Great minds think alike!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 9:04 am

Hey, Wilson-

I'm in the market for a new camera. I've been thinking that the D60 is the one for me. However, I've never actually used one. I have friends and a dad with D90s and D40s, but I've never used an actual D60. I'd love a review of your thoughts of it before I plunk down my money!

Anyone else with a D60 is more than welcome to chime in too. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 9:05 am

I am scheduled to arrive at 251PM August 5th, and depart at 510PM. I think I also have to clear customs there, so that may not be enough time to re-enter security etc... I don't think it would be possible. What say you, bjornolf and Bones? Is it practical?

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 9:06 am

I just realized I'm only 21 posts away from passing my number over on DBR. I'll have to start thinking about what I want that momentous post to be. ;) It'll have to be special. Maybe I'll just be a TOTAL PW and start a thread announcing that fact. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 9:09 am

Lavabe wrote:I am scheduled to arrive at 251PM August 5th, and depart at 510PM. I think I also have to clear customs there, so that may not be enough time to re-enter security etc... I don't think it would be possible. What say you, bjornolf and Bones? Is it practical?

Cheers,
Lavabe
If we give you our cell numbers and you can call us with updates and you tell us exactly what you want, I don't see why we couldn't bring a sandwich and a cup of soup to you. Or heck, I could just bring you a couple pounds of pastrami, and you could just take it home with you and make whatever sandwich you want. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 9:16 am

bjornolf wrote:Hey, Wilson-

I'm in the market for a new camera. I've been thinking that the D60 is the one for me. However, I've never actually used one. I have friends and a dad with D90s and D40s, but I've never used an actual D60. I'd love a review of your thoughts of it before I plunk down my money!

%%-
I've only played with mine once so far, but I was very pleased with the first results. The darn thing is a breeze to use, and it takes beautiful pictures. I was struck by the vibrancy of the colors I got with my first batch. Take a look at "Charleston, Part I" on Facebook if you haven't already.
I'm planning on spending the entire morning tomorrow taking pictures around town, so I'll presumably have some more thoughts and lots more results after that.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 9:17 am

bjornolf wrote:I just realized I'm only 21 posts away from passing my number over on DBR. I'll have to start thinking about what I want that momentous post to be. ;) It'll have to be special. Maybe I'll just be a TOTAL PW and start a thread announcing that fact. ;)

%%-
I'm gonna clear 900 today.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 9:26 am

bjornolf wrote:Hey, Wilson-

%%-
Wasn't there a discussion about this hither or yonder?

I seriously considered the Nikon line, but went Canon for several reasons:
1) For the kinds of shots I HAD to have (low light, animals, rain forest, sturdiness a big issue), the lens & camera combo of Canon received MANY more favorable reviews from wildlife photographers. Everyone complains about the weight of the killer Canon lens, and EVERYONE says it's worth it. They're right. Also, the reviews were more favorable for Canon in terms of dealing with elements (a major factor considering how electronic the cameras have all become).
2) I liked some of the other lenses out there by Tamron, and when push comes to shove, the Nikon/Nikon camera & lens combo didn't afford me a significant improvement in quality at that cost.

And as it turned out, most of my photos have been either human subjects or landscape/vegetation (although, I have good news for Bones). The Canon/Tamron combo just kicked butt. I LOVE my Canon 50D. The truth is, if I weren't shooting what I shoot, I'd probably like Wilson's Nikon just as well. Whatever happens, as soon as you get the camera, no matter which way you go, I hope you fall in love with digital photography. It's really wonderful.

Recommendation: Analyze WHAT sort of shots you will take the most with your camera. THEN check out reviews from people doing similar photography.

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 9:33 am

Lavabe wrote:
Wasn't there a discussion about this hither or yonder?

I seriously considered the Nikon line, but went Canon for several reasons:
1) For the kinds of shots I HAD to have (low light, animals, rain forest, sturdiness a big issue), the lens & camera combo of Canon received MANY more favorable reviews from wildlife photographers. Everyone complains about the weight of the killer Canon lens, and EVERYONE says it's worth it. They're right. Also, the reviews were more favorable for Canon in terms of dealing with elements (a major factor considering how electronic the cameras have all become).
2) I liked some of the other lenses out there by Tamron, and when push comes to shove, the Nikon/Nikon camera & lens combo didn't afford me a significant improvement in quality at that cost.

And as it turned out, most of my photos have been either human subjects or landscape/vegetation (although, I have good news for Bones). The Canon/Tamron combo just kicked butt. I LOVE my Canon 50D. The truth is, if I weren't shooting what I shoot, I'd probably like Wilson's Nikon just as well. Whatever happens, as soon as you get the camera, no matter which way you go, I hope you fall in love with digital photography. It's really wonderful.

Recommendation: Analyze WHAT sort of shots you will take the most with your camera. THEN check out reviews from people doing similar photography.

Cheers,
Lavabe
My uncle is a professional photographer, and he told me that there was essentially no difference between the comparable Canon and Nikon models, but that Nikon lenses are a tick better. That's pretty much all I needed to hear. I highly doubt if I would ever have noticed much difference between the two, but I'm already quite happy with my purchase (well, actually my family's purchase :D ).
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 9:35 am

I already love digital photography. I had what they used to call a "prosumer" camera, better than a consumer model, not quite a professional model. 90% of my usage is taking pictures of my kids, especially at things like birthday parties and school productions (that's why I think I need a little better camera...even though I love mine, it has trouble handling crappy lighting with a semi-long shot at kids who aren't overly still...flash doesn't do crap).

A big part of my interest in the Nikon is that my dad has always been a Nikon man, and now has a D90s. I guess it's kinda like NASCAR fans and car people, if you're a Chevy guy, you're gonna love Chevies, even if there's a Dodge or a Ford out there that might be a smudge better for your needs. Also, I figure my dad's a LOT higher on the learning curve than I on the photography side, and could help me out with any problems I have. He's NOT overly computer savvy, but he knows a lot about photography (we bought him the D90s cause it's similar to his N70 that he used for years, so the transition would be easier for him, just learning film to digital, not film to digital plus a totally new style of camera), and he's pretty awesome with his D90s now that he's gotten used to it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 9:44 am

Very little research motivation. Time too short. Strongly considering a game of hooky, as it were.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 9:46 am

Lavabe wrote: Wasn't there a discussion about this hither or yonder?
Yea, I started it. But nobody admitted to actually OWNING a D60 over there, so I thought I could get a direct review of one from Wilson.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 9:54 am

wilson wrote:My uncle is a professional photographer, and he told me that there was essentially no difference between the comparable Canon and Nikon models, but that Nikon lenses are a tick better. That's pretty much all I needed to hear. I highly doubt if I would ever have noticed much difference between the two, but I'm already quite happy with my purchase (well, actually my family's purchase :D .
It DOES vary depending on what photography you're talking about. In my case, the one lens was HEAVILY in Canon's favor. If I were doing Macro work, I'd be all over Nikon. At that point the next issue becomes the other uses, and in my case, it couldn't outweigh the Canon advantage.

Words of pros do vary, which is why I strongly suggested analyzing the reviews of those who are professional in that field, or doing similar photography. For example, I know plenty of animal photographers who shoot in captivity and are devoted Nikon fans, but you don't see them shooting in the field under different conditions with the same equipment. The nature photographers I know would go towards Canon lenses. As for me, the Tamron backups (for non nature photography) did precisely the job I wanted, thus affording me the opportunity to get killer lens.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 10:11 am

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:
Discuss.

Because the others qualify as fine comestibles and are worthy of discussion. :cry: :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 10:14 am

bjornolf wrote:I just realized I'm only 21 posts away from passing my number over on DBR. I'll have to start thinking about what I want that momentous post to be. ;) It'll have to be special. Maybe I'll just be a TOTAL PW and start a thread announcing that fact. ;)

%%-
Why not? I probably would... :oops: :roll: :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2009, 10:22 am

devildeac wrote:

%%-
Why not? I probably would... :oops: :roll: :))
Please don't encourage him. I sometimes wonder if this board was named incorrectly.
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 10:27 am

TillyGalore wrote: Please don't encourage him. I sometimes wonder if this board was named incorrectly.
Ouch. I get the feeling you don't like me anymore Tilly. Sorry for whatever it is I've done to you in the past. I have nothing but respect for you. And, it should be noted I am NOT the biggest PW on this board anymore. DD, the guy you're telling NOT to encourage me, has almost 50 posts on me. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2009, 10:52 am

bjornolf wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: Please don't encourage him. I sometimes wonder if this board was named incorrectly.
Ouch. I get the feeling you don't like me anymore Tilly. Sorry for whatever it is I've done to you in the past. I have nothing but respect for you. And, it should be noted I am NOT the biggest PW on this board anymore. DD, the guy you're telling NOT to encourage me, has almost 50 posts on me. ;)

%%-
Fact: you are the 32nd person to join the board
Fact: you are the second leading poster on the board
Fact: the leading poster on the board joined 5 days before you
Fact: the leading poster only leads you by 40ish posts

I call it as I see it.
I worship the Blue Devil!