LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 11:10 pm

It is, indeed, a great book. Have you read A Time to Kill by John Grisham? It's also great and is somewhat reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I have read A Time to Kill and I need to read that again as I swear he lifted a buncha ideas from To Kill a Mockingbird for his book.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 11:14 pm

devildeac wrote:It is, indeed, a great book. Have you read A Time to Kill by John Grisham? It's also great and is somewhat reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I have read A Time to Kill and I need to read that again as I swear he lifted a buncha ideas from To Kill a Mockingbird for his book.
Yes, indeed. I liked A Time to Kill, but at times it seemed a bit too close to To Kill a Mockingbird. And A Painted House is a whole lot like The Grapes of Wrath.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 11:16 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:It is, indeed, a great book. Have you read A Time to Kill by John Grisham? It's also great and is somewhat reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Yes, indeed. I liked A Time to Kill, but at times it seemed a bit too close to To Kill a Mockingbird. And A Painted House is a whole lot like The Grapes of Wrath.
Who wrote A Painted House, he inquired ignorantly? :oops:

Grapes of Wrath. There's another classic I must re-read. I think I read that for a 9th grade English class..
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 11:21 pm

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Who wrote A Painted House, he inquired ignorantly? :oops:

Grapes of Wrath. There's another classic I must re-read. I think I read that for a 9th grade English class..
It's another Grisham book. I've read Grapes of Wrath slightly more recently than that, but it's a great book and bears another reading.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 26th, 2009, 12:00 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

It's another Grisham book. I've read Grapes of Wrath slightly more recently than that, but it's a great book and bears another reading.
I have read most of his writings and have enjoyed them, despite the fact he is a lawyer. :roll: I simply did not recognize that one. :oops:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 26th, 2009, 6:41 am

AD and DD, your posts bring up an interesting point. There are only so many good stories to go around for humankind and thus you often see repeats. I mean they are even re-doing/hve re-done the classic horror movies that came out in my youth(Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, etc.). Nearly every major Shakesperean play was adapted as an opera. I could continue...but I won't.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 26th, 2009, 8:07 am

Resolution for the day: More time reading and walking and less time posting.

Really. I'll try very hard.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 26th, 2009, 10:21 am

devildeac wrote:Resolution for the day: More time reading and walking and less time posting.

Good luck with that.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 26th, 2009, 10:46 am

devildeac wrote:Resolution for the day: More time reading and walking and less time posting.

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

How much is "LESS TIME POSTING?" 8 hours? 4 hours? 1 hour? ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » July 26th, 2009, 11:12 am

YmoBeThere wrote:AD and DD, your posts bring up an interesting point. There are only so many good stories to go around for humankind and thus you often see repeats. I mean they are even re-doing/hve re-done the classic horror movies that came out in my youth(Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, etc.). Nearly every major Shakesperean play was adapted as an opera. I could continue...but I won't.
There are existing sources for every single Shakespeare play except Merry Wives of Windsor. As far as we know, that one is his only original story. For me, it's not the story you tell, it's how you tell it.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 26th, 2009, 11:39 am

The final day of the Tour de France, the ride through Paris, is really one of the most beautiful sports events in the whole year.

Oh yeah... and Mark Cavendish is an insane rider!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 26th, 2009, 11:44 am

Lavabe wrote:The final day of the Tour de France, the ride through Paris, is really one of the most beautiful sports events in the whole year.
Agreed. I really wish, though, that one of these years, two riders would come in close enough to each other to make it more than just a ceremonial procession (like it was back in '88, when LeMond won by 8 seconds...although that was a final-stage time trial).
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 26th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Julio Lugo appears to have found a new life with the St. Louis Cardinals.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 26th, 2009, 2:32 pm

I'm hungry.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 26th, 2009, 2:36 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

Good luck with that.
So far, so good.

2 journals, about 60 pages of Tai-Pan and about 15-20 minutes here. Plus an hour of slow, tentative walking on the beach.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 26th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Lavabe wrote:

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

How much is "LESS TIME POSTING?" 8 hours? 4 hours? 1 hour? ;)
You shoulda quoted DinK, now I get 2 posts out of my pledge and to the doubters. :roll: :oops: :))

See above reply. I'll bet I keep it under an hour here today. I have another SLOW walk to complete, another 2-3 journals to read and I am gonna try to get through another 100 pages or more of Tai-Pan. Plus a nap. :oops: :))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 26th, 2009, 4:23 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Julio Lugo appears to have found a new life with the St. Louis Cardinals.
Julio Lugo or Julio Franco? :-o :))
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 26th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Lavabe wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Julio Lugo appears to have found a new life with the St. Louis Cardinals.
Another post down...Lugo. I'm not sure where Franco is playing these days, probably somewhere in Latin America.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 26th, 2009, 4:36 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Another post down...Lugo. I'm not sure where Franco is playing these days, probably somewhere in Latin America.
Who's older? Lugo or Franco? ;)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 26th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:AD and DD, your posts bring up an interesting point. There are only so many good stories to go around for humankind and thus you often see repeats. I mean they are even re-doing/hve re-done the classic horror movies that came out in my youth(Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, etc.). Nearly every major Shakesperean play was adapted as an opera. I could continue...but I won't.
There are existing sources for every single Shakespeare play except Merry Wives of Windsor. As far as we know, that one is his only original story. For me, it's not the story you tell, it's how you tell it.
Speaking of Shakespeare, I saw an excellent production of The Merchant of Venice last weekend.
-- Albert Einstein