LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 9:37 pm

I'm reading "American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House" right now. It's a pretty cool book if you're into biographies. It's funny; the last couple of books I've read are ones that I've learned about through "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart." Saw another one this week that looked pretty interesting.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 25th, 2009, 9:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm reading "American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House" right now. It's a pretty cool book if you're into biographies. It's funny; the last couple of books I've read are ones that I've learned about through "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart." Saw another one this week that looked pretty interesting.
I'm not terribly shocked, but definitely bemused by the fact that, in the wake of Walter Cronkite's death, Jon Stewart was selected as America's new "most trusted newsman."
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 25th, 2009, 9:47 pm

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'm reading "American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House" right now. It's a pretty cool book if you're into biographies. It's funny; the last couple of books I've read are ones that I've learned about through "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart." Saw another one this week that looked pretty interesting.
I'm not terribly shocked, but definitely bemused by the fact that, in the wake of Walter Cronkite's death, Jon Stewart was selected as America's new "most trusted newsman."
Seriously?

If so, I'm not sure whether that speaks more poorly of the news-watching public, or the state of television 'journalism.'
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 25th, 2009, 9:49 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
wilson wrote:
Seriously?

If so, I'm not sure whether that speaks more poorly of the news-watching public, or the state of television 'journalism.'
Then again, I do remember reading somewhere, that among self-identified "conservatives," a majority thought that Stephen Colbert was not playing a character role, but was serious in his nightly show. :-o x_x
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 25th, 2009, 9:51 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Seriously?

Yes, seriously:
http://www.timepolls.com/hppolls/archiv ... s_417.html

It doesn't actually bother me too much; I happen to think his commentary, while certainly geared toward a particular segment of the political spectrum, is quite intelligent. Political views aside, though, I think it's a really interesting comment on the state of journalism as a field and the political/cultural climate in the "infotainment" age.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 25th, 2009, 10:02 pm

wilson wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:
Seriously?

Yes, seriously:

It doesn't actually bother me too much; I happen to think his commentary, while certainly geared toward a particular segment of the political spectrum, is quite intelligent. Political views aside, though, I think it's a really interesting comment on the state of journalism as a field and the political/cultural climate in the "infotainment" age.
Don't get me wrong, I love Jon Stewart, and think his shtick is brilliant. That said, what he does is not journalism or reporting. Yes, his staff does some research, especially in putting together those, "what he said today/what he said two years ago" sort of clips, but he doesn't actually contribute to the better understanding of a news topic. He just mocks those who claim to be contributing.

I understand that his show may be a provider of news to a large segment of society who don't get it anyplace else, but that still does not make him a journalist. It makes him a regurgitator of journalism.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 25th, 2009, 10:04 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
wilson wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:
Seriously?

Yes, seriously:

Don't get me wrong, I love Jon Stewart, and think his shtick is brilliant. That said, what he does is not journalism or reporting. Yes, his staff does some research, especially in putting together those, "what he said today/what he said two years ago" sort of clips, but he doesn't actually contribute to the better understanding of a news topic. He just mocks those who claim to be contributing.

I understand that his show may be a provider of news to a large segment of society who don't get it anyplace else, but that still does not make him a journalist. It makes him a regurgitator of journalism.
Okay, AD made a point on my facebook that she likes his interviews. She's right - he does do some good work there. (His back&forth with Huckabee has been great.) I was thinking more of the first 10 minutes of his show.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 10:35 pm

DevilAlumna wrote: Okay, AD made a point on my facebook that she likes his interviews. She's right - he does do some good work there. (His back&forth with Huckabee has been great.) I was thinking more of the first 10 minutes of his show.
I like the first 10 minutes of the show, too. In general, he points out the ridiculousness of politicians and mainstream news shows. If he does nothing more than make people think critically about what they hear on the news, then he has done a great service. His coverage of the tea parties was great - he pointed out the difference in coverage between Fox News (shot at an angle to make the crowd look really big) and MSNBC (shot to make the crowd look smaller). He also gave out a series of "awards" for network news coverage of Michael Jackson's death.

His interviews are great because he has intelligent discourse with his interviewees and he's not afraid to ask tough questions. He's had some great interviews over the past couple of weeks with Obama cabinet members. And, as I mentioned earlier, several of his interviews with authors have made me buy their books and read them.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 25th, 2009, 10:40 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: I like the first 10 minutes of the show, too. In general, he points out the ridiculousness of politicians and mainstream news shows. If he does nothing more than make people think critically about what they hear on the news, then he has done a great service. His coverage of the tea parties was great - he pointed out the difference in coverage between Fox News (shot at an angle to make the crowd look really big) and MSNBC (shot to make the crowd look smaller). He also gave out a series of "awards" for network news coverage of Michael Jackson's death.

His interviews are great because he has intelligent discourse with his interviewees and he's not afraid to ask tough questions. He's had some great interviews over the past couple of weeks with Obama cabinet members. And, as I mentioned earlier, several of his interviews with authors have made me buy their books and read them.
Well said. This is mostly what I was getting at above.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 10:44 pm

wilson wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:
Seriously?

Yes, seriously:

Just took a look at the poll and noticed that Brian Williams is number 2 behind Jon Stewart. It's interesting to note that Williams has been a guest several times recently on Stewart's show. They're usually pretty funny to watch, although Stewart was a little rough on Williams on the most recent visit (after Cronkite's death). He held his feet to the fire because Michael Jackson got more coverage than Walter Cronkite.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 10:52 pm

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: I like the first 10 minutes of the show, too. In general, he points out the ridiculousness of politicians and mainstream news shows. If he does nothing more than make people think critically about what they hear on the news, then he has done a great service. His coverage of the tea parties was great - he pointed out the difference in coverage between Fox News (shot at an angle to make the crowd look really big) and MSNBC (shot to make the crowd look smaller). He also gave out a series of "awards" for network news coverage of Michael Jackson's death.

Well said. This is mostly what I was getting at above.
Thanks! I might also add that I think he DOES add to my understanding of the news. There have been times when I've gotten better, more complete info from his schtick than I've gotten from network news in particular. And he's not patronizing, and most network news shows come across that way to me.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 10:57 pm

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:I am spending WAYYY too much time here today. But, I don't have too much else to do except read Tai-Pan, post and rest... :oops:
Tai-Pan? Very nice. I love James Clavell. Shogun is among my favorite books.

I musta read them 25 years ago or more and knew I would have a LOT of recovery time this weekend so I grabbed Tai-Pan just before we left for the coast on Friday. I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I had never read it before. Fabulous work.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » July 25th, 2009, 10:59 pm

devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:I am spending WAYYY too much time here today. But, I don't have too much else to do except read Tai-Pan, post and rest... :oops:

I musta read them 25 years ago or more and knew I would have a LOT of recovery time this weekend so I grabbed Tai-Pan just before we left for the coast on Friday. I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I had never read it before. Fabulous work.
Last edited by cl15876 on July 25th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 25th, 2009, 10:59 pm

devildeac wrote:I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I had never read it before. Fabulous work.
Never read it. Kind of embarrassed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 25th, 2009, 11:00 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote: Tai-Pan? Very nice. I love James Clavell. Shogun is among my favorite books.

Weren't you like 1 then? I seriously doubt that!
I think you've got your crazietalkers confused.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 11:03 pm

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I had never read it before. Fabulous work.
Never read it. Kind of embarrassed.
I was pretty embarrassed, too, when I realized I had not read it prior to this week. :oops:
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » July 25th, 2009, 11:07 pm

wilson wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Weren't you like 1 then? I seriously doubt that!
I think you've got your crazietalkers confused.
Yes I tried to fix, but you guys were too fast!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 11:07 pm

devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:

It is, indeed, a great book. Have you read A Time to Kill by John Grisham? It's also great and is somewhat reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 11:08 pm

There are 10 users and 1 guest on-line now. I hope we don't exceed our bandwith or burn out the PWometers. :oops: :roll: :))
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Has anyone else watched the infamous YouTube viral video of the wedding processional to the Chris Brown song "Forever"? It's pretty cool. Definitely unique.
-- Albert Einstein