Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 18th, 2013, 7:24 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I had something happen today that has never happened before.

I represented a client in a family law matter. She fired me several months ago. Today, her husband's attorney sent a private process server to my office who personally served me with a subpoena duces tecum. In the subpoena, the attorney requested my ENTIRE client file from my representation of this former client.

Who wants to watch me go to jail? Because that is what is going to happen before I turn over one piece of paper belonging to my former client to her husband's attorney.

:9f:
That's just nuts. I'll chip in to help cover your bail if you go to jail. :9f:
Same here. What idiot judge signed a subpoena duces tecum for your file? Did he/she miss the lectures on work product and attorney/client privilege? Can you file a motion to quash? :9f:
If you can't quash it, can you squish the judge who issued it? :D :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 18th, 2013, 7:42 am

I represented a client in a family law matter. She fired me several months ago. Today, her husband's attorney sent a private process server to my office who personally served me with a subpoena duces tecum. In the subpoena, the attorney requested my ENTIRE client file from my representation of this former client.

Who wants to watch me go to jail? Because that is what is going to happen before I turn over one piece of paper belonging to my former client to her husband's attorney.

Sounds like there should be sanctions for the idiot attorney who did this, too. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 18th, 2013, 8:33 am

That's effed up. I will bake you a cake filled with a file and a hacksaw. And topped with really good frosting.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 18th, 2013, 1:15 pm

That sounds unbelievable!!! Did this happen in Greenville, NC?

What ever happened to Attorney/Client rule?
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 18th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Count me in on the bail collection. What does he hope to accomplish? Even though I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, I still know that an attorney turning over client files is not going to happen.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 18th, 2013, 3:20 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: If you can't quash it, can you squish the judge who issued it? :D :9f:
In North Carolina, attorneys have subpoena power. The attorney issued this subpoena. No judges will be harmed in the quashing of this subpoena.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 18th, 2013, 3:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

That's effed up. I will bake you a cake filled with a file and a hacksaw. And topped with really good frosting.
Chocolate, please!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 18th, 2013, 3:23 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Count me in on the bail collection. What does he hope to accomplish? Even though I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, I still know that an attorney turning over client files is not going to happen.
I'm not sure what he intends to accomplish, other than for me to show my steely resolve not to disclose any information related to the representation.

If you can't send bail money, just come to visit me at the detention center! And bring chocolate!

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 18th, 2013, 3:52 pm

He's messin' with the wrong lawyer! Just send him one of these =)) .
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 18th, 2013, 7:17 pm

CathyCA wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Count me in on the bail collection. What does he hope to accomplish? Even though I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, I still know that an attorney turning over client files is not going to happen.
I'm not sure what he intends to accomplish, other than for me to show my steely resolve not to disclose any information related to the representation.

If you can't send bail money, just come to visit me at the detention center! And bring chocolate!

I can supply you with chocolate. The nearby Lindt chocolate shop is going out of business ( :(( ). Prices were marked down to 75% off. Let's just say I stocked up. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 18th, 2013, 8:02 pm

The weather forecast for this weekend is cooler than I originally thought it would be (darn it!), which means I'll be making a Plan B for my Alumni Weekend wardrobe. Assuming the dress still fits, I'm going to wear a sheath that I've had for a while (scoop neck, black with red flowers) with a shrug-type black sweater. I have a pair of very cute black flats that I can wear, but I want to buy red shoes for a pop of color. My sister is jewelry central, so I'll be able to find something in her collection to wear with the outfit. How does this idea sound?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 18th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Last night I finished reading chapter 2 of the book that Ima recommended ("Give and Take" by Adam Grant). The chapter compared network building strategies of givers, takers, and matchers. The most prominent giver profiled in the chapter was ... drumroll ... Ken Lay. The description of his rise to power was enlightening and appalling, all at the same time. Here's a somewhat intriguing bit of trivia: George W. Bush apparently saw through Lay and steered clear of him. Lay threw lots of financial support behind Ann Richards for Governor of TX until it became obvious that Bush was going to win - then he gave money to Bush. The donation had the effect of allowing Bush to see Lay for what he was.

Interesting bit of trivia: you can use a company's prospectus to tell if the CEO is a giver, taker, or matcher. If the prospectus features at least one very large picture of the CEO, that person is likely a taker. Taker CEOs also tend to make a salary that's significantly greater than anyone else's in the company. They're entitled, you know.

I was completely sucked in and fascinated by the description of how takers build networks. Here's a quote from the section that really struck me: "Although takers tend to be dominant and controlling with subordinates, they're surprisingly submissive and deferential toward superiors. When takers deal with powerful people, they become convincing fakers. Takers want to be admired by influential superiors, so they go out of their way to charm and flatter. As a result, powerful people tend to form glowing first impressions of takers."

Now, why did this whole chapter, and the section quoted above, strike a chord? The answer is simple: the quote above is a frighteningly accurate description of The Minion. My former boss and Pushy PI thought The Minion was sweet and submissive, because she was always deferential to them. However, to the rest of my coworkers, she was dishonest and manipulative. Interpretation: she viewed us as her subordinates. The description applies somewhat to Supervisor Barbie as well - again, remember that Pinhead Former Boss thought she was wonderful and was "grooming her" for an even more powerful position than the one she held. He eventually figured out her ways, though, and she left to find a new job. It fits BarMinion as well, but her boss (RoadRunner) mostly sees through her. Pushy PI is most definitely a taker, based on the passage above and on other discussions throughout the chapter. "Dominant and controlling with subordinates" fits him to a T, and it also fits my former boss. So, Pushy PI would be at the top of the power structure, bullying people in order to get his way. PHB was submissive to Pushy PI (and others of similar ilk) in order to be in a position of power himself. The Minion is below both in the structure but uses her association with Pushy PI to bully others around. All in all, a fun group of people.

I had an interesting conversation on this topic at lunch with MacGyver, Road Runner, and Daughter of Road Runner. Road Runner lived in Sweden for several years, and her daughter lives there now. According to them, culturally speaking, Swedish people are matchers that have very little tolerance for takers. In fact, takers are pretty much shunned according to them. According to the chapter I just finished, this is classic matcher behavior (shunning takers), so it all fits. This has several implications. First off, it means that my assessment of Road Runner as a matcher is probably correct. Secondly, it means that she's really going to tire of BarMinion's antics at some point and cut her off. It also means I need to really watch all the advice for dealing with takers, because that's what I'm dealing with. Thirdly, it also means that I have quite a bit of matcher in me, given my previously stated tendency to deal with takers by avoiding them.

I'm really enjoying this book. thanks for the recommendation, Ima! :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 18th, 2013, 9:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I was completely sucked in and fascinated by the description of how takers build networks. Here's a quote from the section that really struck me: "Although takers tend to be dominant and controlling with subordinates, they're surprisingly submissive and deferential toward superiors. When takers deal with powerful people, they become convincing fakers. Takers want to be admired by influential superiors, so they go out of their way to charm and flatter. As a result, powerful people tend to form glowing first impressions of takers."

Now, why did this whole chapter, and the section quoted above, strike a chord? The answer is simple: the quote above is a frighteningly accurate description of The Minion. My former boss and Pushy PI thought The Minion was sweet and submissive, because she was always deferential to them. However, to the rest of my coworkers, she was dishonest and manipulative. Interpretation: she viewed us as her subordinates. The description applies somewhat to Supervisor Barbie as well - again, remember that Pinhead Former Boss thought she was wonderful and was "grooming her" for an even more powerful position than the one she held. He eventually figured out her ways, though, and she left to find a new job. It fits BarMinion as well, but her boss (RoadRunner) mostly sees through her. Pushy PI is most definitely a taker, based on the passage above and on other discussions throughout the chapter. "Dominant and controlling with subordinates" fits him to a T, and it also fits my former boss. So, Pushy PI would be at the top of the power structure, bullying people in order to get his way. PHB was submissive to Pushy PI (and others of similar ilk) in order to be in a position of power himself. The Minion is below both in the structure but uses her association with Pushy PI to bully others around. All in all, a fun group of people.

I'm really enjoying this book. thanks for the recommendation, Ima! :9f:
Dang. Right next to the dictionary definition of "taker" is a picture of AD's former Minion, and my PHB.

I've never seen Jethro in this light, but I had a discussion with the head Clerk of our GDC today, who said he had just those tendencies to her clerks.

Time for me to download this one and give up on the lengthy historical tome I've been reading. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 18th, 2013, 9:51 pm

I sold a painting on Ugallery today. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 18th, 2013, 9:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I sold a painting on Ugallery today. :D
Yippee! Congratulations! :happy-bouncyblue: \:d/ ^:)^ :clap: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 18th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Very good!!! There's no stopping you now!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 18th, 2013, 11:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:The weather forecast for this weekend is cooler than I originally thought it would be (darn it!), which means I'll be making a Plan B for my Alumni Weekend wardrobe. Assuming the dress still fits, I'm going to wear a sheath that I've had for a while (scoop neck, black with red flowers) with a shrug-type black sweater. I have a pair of very cute black flats that I can wear, but I want to buy red shoes for a pop of color. My sister is jewelry central, so I'll be able to find something in her collection to wear with the outfit. How does this idea sound?
Yup! that works for me. I like the idea of the red shoes to go with the red flowers in the sheath.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 18th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Woo-hoo!

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 19th, 2013, 10:41 am

Chapter 5 features CJ Skender and Reggie Love. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 19th, 2013, 11:43 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Chapter 5 features CJ Skender and Reggie Love. :9f:
Correction: it's chapter 4. The chapter also features Michael Jordan as an example of a taker in a leadership position.
-- Albert Einstein