LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » July 21st, 2009, 9:21 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Sure, you can ask for help, but DD lives just up the road and if you force me to take sides....... Anyway, I'll be around and will respond appropriately ;)

Fair enough. Guess I can't compete with that. Gotta keep good with the neighbors.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 21st, 2009, 9:26 am

bjornolf wrote:
bjornolf wrote: That really sucks. I'll often call them the morning of, and ask if they can at least tell me where I was on their list. Often on the day of, they can narrow your window a little, and often you can get the guy to call you when you're next on his list. I've found that can help a lot.

%%-
It's not 100% though, sometimes they forget. Often when I ORDER the service, I'll ask them to make a note on the work order to do that. Sometimes, the guy himself will call me the day before when they make the schedule, and he can give me a better idea. Then I've got his cell number on my caller ID, and I can bug him if he doesn't show. That's always fun. ;)

%%-
It was noted on the service order that I requested "morning". And he has my phone numbers and is supposed to call first, but I find they call about a minute before they get here, which isn't much help.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 21st, 2009, 9:46 am

If you can get them to contact him for you, and give them some kind of reason (even if it's flimsy), sometimes the guy will call you himself and be a little more merciful than that. Good luck, though. I definitely feel your pain. I've been there myself.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 21st, 2009, 9:54 am

Ahoy, Cap'n! So, what are you up to on this fine day?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 21st, 2009, 9:56 am

Oh, and DD, feel free to pad your stats by posting in my new thread about passing by. I truly value your opinion, especially in that area. And I'd love to have you there if you could swing it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 21st, 2009, 10:17 am

bjornolf wrote:Ahoy, Cap'n! So, what are you up to on this fine day?

%%-
1) Taking Mom to the eye doc for his assistants to adjust her glasses for fit. Four days post-fall, she realizes they don't quite sit right on her face.
2) Installing shading fabric between roof joists on pergola. (if not raining or too windy outside)
3) If there is enough time left in the day, I need to go and harvest the fescue at the mountain lake retreat.

Right now, 2 and 3 don't look very promising.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 21st, 2009, 10:45 am

captmojo wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Ahoy, Cap'n! So, what are you up to on this fine day?

%%-
1) Taking Mom to the eye doc for his assistants to adjust her glasses for fit. Four days post-fall, she realizes they don't quite sit right on her face.
2) Installing shading fabric between roof joists on pergola. (if not raining or too windy outside)
3) If there is enough time left in the day, I need to go and harvest the fescue at the mountain lake retreat.

Right now, 2 and 3 don't look very promising.
Sounds like a full day. I hope your mom's glasses turn out okay, and that there aren't any delayed issues form the fall. If the worst thing is her glasses, she's a very lucky woman.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 21st, 2009, 10:50 am

She sports a fine lookin' "shiner".
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » July 21st, 2009, 11:53 am

Dragging a bit... Tripped over "The Right Stuff" on TMC last night (no commercials, even better...)

That movie holds up pretty well..
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 21st, 2009, 12:08 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:How 'bout you, Ozzie, since you're the only other one here. Wanna help me draft back into the lead? I'll start off. How's life? What are you gonna do today?

%%-
I'm waiting for
A) An overnight UPS delivery that I must sign for (my new Vonage box)
B) The Sears applicance service man to fix my refrigerator's water dispenser switch - it is an intermittent problem so without a doubt it will work fine when he gets here. I can't believe they give me a window of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jeeze, can't they narrow it down a litter better than that? Even the cable company gives you a 3 our window.
C) Another service man, but he's waiting on delivery of over night parts too, so I won't see him until this afternoon.
D) All of the above.

As far as drafting, I prefer to sit back and watch you and DD slug it out! :))
A) UPS showed up right at 10 a.m. Connected the box but the phone line lights didn't "light up". Called Vonage, we went through all their standard suggestions, and they are sending me another box. She can't promise it will ship today, but they are sending it overnight, so it will be either tomorrow or Thursday when I get it. She has upgraded me from the standard 2 line box to the one with a built in 1 port router output. Eh. I don't need it but it does give me some flexibility if my router goes out and I still want to hardwire my computer to the router and have my phone lines work, which would be a good thing. Of course, if the router fails, I'll run out to WalMart and buy a replacement, returning home within 20 minutes.
B) No sign, or word, from Sears yet :x :(

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 21st, 2009, 2:11 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I'm waiting for
B) The Sears applicance service man to fix my refrigerator's water dispenser switch - it is an intermittent problem so without a doubt it will work fine when he gets here. I can't believe they give me a window of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jeeze, can't they narrow it down a litter better than that? Even the cable company gives you a 3 our window.
C) Another service man, but he's waiting on delivery of over night parts too, so I won't see him until this afternoon.
D) All of the above.
I called the service center and asked for the guy to call me on my cell phone. I waited a few minutes and then went out for lunch. He called while in the parking lot where I was going to eat and he was in the same parking lot, having just eaten at the MickeyD's (not where I was going to eat). So I turned around and he followed me home (about 1 mile away). He checked the water dispenser and it didn't work! Then it did, but at least he saw it not work! He checked the switch connections and they looked ok, so he has ordered a new switch and will be back in 2 weeks to put it in (when I'll have to go through all this waiting again...). Now I'll go back out for lunch.

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 21st, 2009, 2:20 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I'm waiting for
D) All of the above.
I called the service center and asked for the guy to call me on my cell phone. I waited a few minutes and then went out for lunch. He called while in the parking lot where I was going to eat and he was in the same parking lot, having just eaten at the MickeyD's (not where I was going to eat). So I turned around and he followed me home (about 1 mile away). He checked the water dispenser and it didn't work! Then it did, but at least he saw it not work! He checked the switch connections and they looked ok, so he has ordered a new switch and will be back in 2 weeks to put it in (when I'll have to go through all this waiting again...). Now I'll go back out for lunch.
Funny that he'd be in the same parking lot as you. :))

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 21st, 2009, 5:09 pm

Here's another one of the boys with the elephant.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 21st, 2009, 6:26 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I got this email from Kenny Dennard today. He told me that the computing power it took to send the Apollo mission to the moon 40 years ago is now contained in my Blackberry.
I know technology has advanced significantly since GRACE HOPPER days, but being able to send someone too the moon on a blackberry... hmmm, sounds kind of like a stretch.... sorry... guess that scientific and analytical thinking class paid off by my prof who was a Shakespeare and Chaucer philosophy major! Great class!
The Science Channel had a special on the flight of Apollo 11 this evening. They said the computing power on board 11 was equivalent to a digital watch today. The entire mission control roomfuls of computers had less power than a laptop today. Simply amazing that it all worked.
CathyCA wrote:Kenny wrote it. I believe it.
I know not of this Kenny, but did meet Grace and remember the room full of vacuum tubes required to produce an ASCII letter! Kenny must be a VERY SMART PERSON, but I was thinking about this on my drive home tonight, and CathyCA, OZ, and etc.... It is amazing how we have progressed over the last 40 years with technology (STILL trying to find the digital watch equivalent)!!!! Everything keeps getting smaller as we get smarter (nano chips come to mind) and I was trying very hard to think out of the box about my blackberry technology taking us to the moon, knowing the complexities and ingenuity required to make that happen, still a bit overwhelming to fathom, but I still marvel at where we started from and have gotten too! So, if kenny said so, then who am I to question... I just am not smart enough to put all the puzzle pieces together, YET! :-bd
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 21st, 2009, 6:34 pm

cl15876 wrote:
I know not of this Kenny
Learn about Kenny here
http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball- ... ayerid=114

cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 21st, 2009, 6:44 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
I know not of this Kenny
Learn about Kenny here
http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball- ... ayerid=114
ahhh, thank you, I remember now! Thanks for sharing that memory jogger! ;) :oops: :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 21st, 2009, 11:15 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
devildeac wrote:I actually need the power of a Ymo/DA and/or Lavabe draft and then the NOVA man stands no chance... ;) :oops: :roll:
You rang? :D
Time and place?

Can we enroll Ymo, too? :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 21st, 2009, 11:17 pm

Sue71 wrote:
devildeac wrote:I actually need the power of a Ymo/DA and/or Lavabe draft and then the NOVA man stands no chance... ;) :oops: :roll:
I'm hurt. DA's not the only one on the Left Coast to help you out. :-w
There aren't many folks who can lead AND follow a draft like DA, but I'm willing to give you a whirl sometime... ;)

No offense intended. :ymhug:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 21st, 2009, 11:18 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
I'm hurt. DA's not the only one on the Left Coast to help you out. :-w
And I offer help, but he goes to bed instead. The nerve of some people. :-w :-w

;)
It has been a couple exhausting days. Sorry. :oops:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 21st, 2009, 11:20 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:How 'bout you, Ozzie, since you're the only other one here. Wanna help me draft back into the lead? I'll start off. How's life? What are you gonna do today?

%%-
I'm waiting for
D) All of the above.

As far as drafting, I prefer to sit back and watch you and DD slug it out! :))
Another day, another leader.

Take that, bjornolf...