NASCAR 2009

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: NASCAR 2009

Post by Lavabe » July 7th, 2009, 8:57 am

bjornolf wrote:The commercial with Smoke switching seats with the King during a race so he can eat his Burger King is pretty hysterical, at least I thought. :))

%%-
This belongs in the "While you were away..." thread. I sense when I return that it will be a whole day of youtubing. :o)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 7th, 2009, 10:31 am

Lavabe wrote:Is anyone else getting annoyed with these start-and-park jobbies in the C-list? I still don't get what they are trying to do. If you start, what's the harm in racing?
Other than Marcos, you're absolutely right. For me, the only thing worse than a C-list start-and-park, is a B-list'er having to leave the race as his car is totaled a la Junior. I know this past weekend wasn't his fault, but I have not received any Fantasy lovin' from Jr, and I'm really getting frustrated.
I worship the Blue Devil!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 7th, 2009, 11:36 am

bjornolf wrote:Man that finish was INSANE! I'm just glad nobody got hurt too bad. Kyle's lucky to walk away from that one. It's NEVER good to take a second hard shot to an already caved in driver side. Joey Logano DRILLED him there at the end. It was kinda cool to watch, knowing in hindsight that he was okay. Often a driver gets one cool hit per wreck. Kyle got turned sideways and caught air, smashed the wall, then got shot up into the air and rode on top of Kahne's car for a while, spun around to hit the wall again, then took the T-Bone shot from Logano. He's DAMN lucky that the COT are so much tougher than the old cars. He probably would have been in the hospital in the old cars, and maybe dead without the HANS device.

I was watching the race but had to leave to head out to the bar so I decided to tape the race so that I could watch it later. At the bar, they were showing the replay of the race so, between home and the bar, I got to watch most of it. When I got home I checked the interwebs for the results. After seeing those I immediately erased the race from my PVR because I've got a ton of stuff saved on there and need the space (I really need to figure out how to transfer those shows to my computer). So I missed the end of the race and didn't get to see the crash. Sucks to be me.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 7th, 2009, 12:00 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Is anyone else getting annoyed with these start-and-park jobbies in the C-list? I still don't get what they are trying to do. If you start, what's the harm in racing?
Other than Marcos, you're absolutely right. For me, the only thing worse than a C-list start-and-park, is a B-list'er having to leave the race as his car is totaled a la Junior. I know this past weekend wasn't his fault, but I have not received any Fantasy lovin' from Jr, and I'm really getting frustrated.
I was really tempted to pick Jr, especially after our PM about him. I figured I'd give him one more week to earn his way back into things.

Luckily, I didn't pick him. Don't think I will this year. Now Casey Mears is a different matter completely.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 7th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Lavabe wrote:How much worse was this than Carl Edwards' Talladega fly-by?
Well, for pure spectacle, Edward's was more impressive, if this is the one you're talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FsYDEIZWk. I loved how he ran down the track to finish on foot. I think he should get credit for that, darnit. He did take a NASTY hit to the front, but most of the damage near him personally was along the softer fence (you can see it bowing WAY out). And he gets extra credit for going upside down for a second and catching fire. However, Kyle gets HAMMERED right on the driver side multiple times.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember these things like some do. Who was it a couple years ago that went into the in-field, caught air, ended up flying across the finish line with his front grill pointed straight into the ground, then did some tumbling? I was thinking it was either Edwards or Kenseth, but I'm not sure. That was pretty impressive too.

If I'm remember it correctly, then this one certainly wasn't as VISUALLY awe inspiring as that one. However, for hardness of hit and danger to driver, I think this one had it beat. He was trying to hold off Smoke in the last quarter lap. He crossed in front of Tony, and Tony hit the gas, getting up to about Kyle's rear wheel, then Kyle tried to come back across him, hitting him. This turned him sideways and he flew up the track, both his right wheels leaving the ground. He SLAMMED into the wall, pancaking the driver side of the car. As he came back down the track, he spun so that he was facing the correct way, just in time for Kasey Kahne to SLAM into his back bumper, which launched his rear tires into the air to a point where his rear wheels were well above Kahne's windshield. His tires came crashing down on Kahne's windshield, and they drove like that for a few hundred feet until Kahne got out from under him. By this point, Tony and the rest of the top 5 were past the finish line, but everybody else was wrecking. Kyle slid up the track as he crossed the finish line and hit the wall on the driver side AGAIIN, facing backwards as cars rushed by him in the smoke. His car spun and came down the track just as Joey Logano entered the smoke from his tires. Joey, surrounded by other cars, tried to drive through the smoke. He'd started braking a little, but was still going over 100 mph I'd guess when he T-Boned Kyle's already pancaked driver side at a straight on 90 degree angle. Several other cars in the smoke and wreckage took hard shots, but Kyle was the only one I saw get smashed in the driver side TWICE. So, while it wasn't as spectacular as Carl's (except maybe when his car did a cannon ball on Kahne's hood), I think it was probably more dangerous to the driver. You can see a pretty good video of it on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwoutquuWpQ

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 7th, 2009, 1:19 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Well, for pure spectacle, Edward's was more impressive, if this is the one you're talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FsYDEIZWk. I loved how he ran down the track to finish on foot. I think he should get credit for that, darnit. He did take a NASTY hit to the front, but most of the damage near him personally was along the softer fence (you can see it bowing WAY out). And he gets extra credit for going upside down for a second and catching fire. However, Kyle gets HAMMERED right on the driver side multiple times.
%%-
That's your opinion, I disagree. I think Edwards' was much worse as had it not been for the fence, there would have some deaths that day.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 7th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Martin Truex is going to MWR, Michael Waltrip Racing.

DEI loses yet another premier driver, or rather #1 driver.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nascar/story/5519530/
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 7th, 2009, 3:59 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
%%-
That's your opinion, I disagree. I think Edwards' was much worse as had it not been for the fence, there would have some deaths that day.
I was more speaking just danger to the driver, but taking into account danger to everyone, I would argue that if it weren't for the safer barriers and then later the wall, people would have died this weekend, too. Remember, they didn't always have walls. In some countries, they still don't.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 9th, 2009, 9:15 am

Crap, I missed the deadline to change drivers and now I'm stuck with Blech Busch.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 9th, 2009, 10:30 am

TillyGalore wrote:Crap, I missed the deadline to change drivers and now I'm stuck with Blech Busch.

You can still swap your reserves in for your starters.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 9th, 2009, 10:47 am

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Crap, I missed the deadline to change drivers and now I'm stuck with Blech Busch.

You can still swap your reserves in for your starters.
Oh, I know, but I wanted to change my whole line-up.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 9th, 2009, 7:41 pm

BFTW = Blech for the win!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 9th, 2009, 7:41 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
BFTW = Blech for the win!

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 10:41 am

Race in Chicago tonight, not sure if I'm going to see it.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 11th, 2009, 11:55 am

My drivers are starting 1st, 16th, 19th, and 33rd. I think I might swap Edwards in for Kenseth as I am not at all happy about him starting 33rd. Then again, Edwards is only starting 25th but that's still better than Kenseth.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Yeah, I get into debates with myself over their starting positions. But then its where they finish that really matters.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Blech finishes 33rd.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 11:49 pm

5,6,8, & 11

So, not bad...not great but not bad.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 12th, 2009, 12:29 am

New standings are available.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 1:17 am

I mostly lost interest in NASCAR when Rusty Wallace retired. If they still had the Cartoon Network car from the mid-90s (the "Wacky Racer", they called it), I'd definitely root for it. But they don't. So I don't.