Run, BostonDevil, Run!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Run, BostonDevil, Run!

Post by windsor » April 16th, 2012, 7:06 pm

She posted on facebook. The heat was too much, in the interest of not doing herself permanent harm, she claimed victory over 20 miles of the course and had to withdraw

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: That you recover quickly!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » April 16th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Thanks for following me guys, I mean it. In the end it was a long difficult day and I listened to my "don't hurt yourself" inner voice more than my "keep going, what's a little cramping/dizziness/trouble breathing" voice. I think it would have been different if I didn't already have one in the can. Next time? Oh hell no, I'm done. Sorry to go out this way, but even I can't control the weather.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 16th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Thanks for following me guys, I mean it. In the end it was a long difficult day and I listened to my "don't hurt yourself" inner voice more than my "keep going, what's a little cramping/dizziness/trouble breathing" voice. I think it would have been different if I didn't already have one in the can. Next time? Oh hell no, I'm done. Sorry to go out this way, but even I can't control the weather.
Hold your head up high! You did great. The weather was tough. My friend Elton (who is the same age as you) regularly runs Marathons in the 3 hour zone...Boston he has been 2:50 to 3:10 over the last seven races. Today he ran 4:20 and told me he SHOULD have quit. He's getting IV fluids right now. My VP at work runs 2:30 or so usually...he was 3:20 today. Both these guys live and train in freakin' Florida. 20 miles on that course in that heat is something to be proud of.

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 16th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Lisa, I am so proud of you. You ran the Boston Marathon. How many of us on this board can say the same? I had so much fun following you today.

You rock, BostonDevil! You inspire me!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 16th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Bostondevil, you made it farther than I would've. Kudos to you! Your health is important, and listening to your inner voice in this case sounds like a good idea. I'm proud of you! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 16th, 2012, 8:46 pm

I do things on purpose, just to prevent me from doing things like :
running in marathons; hiking up mountains; extended bike rides; chasing cars; running for elected office;
accepting positions of authority; becoming worthy of respect; etc, etc, etc. :whistle: :twitch:

I admire your courage in making the attempt to push yourself through this race, even though you didn't finish. Many, many others that were registered to run, bailed out after watching the weather report this morning. Good job! :Clap:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 16th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Thanks for following me guys, I mean it. In the end it was a long difficult day and I listened to my "don't hurt yourself" inner voice more than my "keep going, what's a little cramping/dizziness/trouble breathing" voice. I think it would have been different if I didn't already have one in the can. Next time? Oh hell no, I'm done. Sorry to go out this way, but even I can't control the weather.
You are amazing...at least you got out there and did over 20, some didn't even bother showing up because of the forecast. Happy to hear you made it out still walking, enjoy a well earned rest! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: ^:)^
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 16th, 2012, 9:33 pm

BD, I'm glad you stopped when you did and your OK. Good job!! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 16th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Well done, good decision! :ymhug: :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 16th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Discretion is the better part of valor! Well done on all counts!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 17th, 2012, 8:15 am

Just read the News and Observer article about the Boston Marathon and saw where it was the 2nd hottest ever with a maximum 89 degrees by early afternoon. 20 miles is a super heroine effort and a wise decision to stop at that point. I guess I would have lasted about 2 miles so well done, BD. :clap: :clap:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » April 17th, 2012, 9:06 am

Well done! Women like you are my heros! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 17th, 2012, 9:35 am

Kudos to you, both for attempting this in the first place, and for making a very smart decision in regards to the heat. Our hats are off to you! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 17th, 2012, 12:33 pm

At least 135 people went to the hospital yesterday. Very happy that BD was not one of them.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/on ... hon-041612
Miles

Post by Miles » April 17th, 2012, 2:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:At least 135 people went to the hospital yesterday. Very happy that BD was not one of them.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/on ... hon-041612
Not to mention that this article says (indirectly) that BD ran further than last year's winner and record holder!
"Many others gave it a try but abandoned the journey early, including last year's winner and race record-holder Geoffrey Mutai, of Kenya, who dropped out due to cramping after 18.5 miles."
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 17th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Miles wrote:including last year's winner and race record-holder Geoffrey Mutai, of Kenya, who dropped out due to cramping after 18.5 miles.
Wuss. L-)
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » April 17th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Yeah, I made it further than last year's winner!

Although, to be fair, he got there a lot faster than I did. And it was at about Mile 18.5 that I knew it wasn't going to happen for me yesterday. I decided to just get to my family at Mile 20 and it probably took me another half hour to make it up those last 2 hills.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!