LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » July 6th, 2009, 8:25 am

Lavabe wrote:I've been screaming to post since this subthread started up, but you know, this SPAMHAUS thing is really ridiculous. And now I have to go out to the field in a couple of days. X( X( :evil: ~x(

Hey look, y'all are forgetting the obvious problem with the song...

Lee Greenwood.

There. I've said it. I know, over yonder, they'd delete this post. I wouldn't be contributing anything.

We are not over yonder.

I can't stand the dude. As much as wilson trashes (and rightfully so) Fleetwood Mac, I can tolerate maybe 0.021 seconds of that Lee Greenwood song. Maybe it's the pomposity of our former school board, who played it instead of the SSBanner at a meeting I attended. Maybe it's that it was played so often during the 2000 Dubya election as a GOP standard that I associate the song with party politics. To me, it's just not a worthy patriotic song for all of us if it's THAT partisan.

FWIW, if you ARE going to replace the Banner with something else, I'm all up for a classy version of America the Beautiful (all the verses), or maybe even THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND. God Bless America is a GREAT standard to play. But I prefer the Banner. And leave out the Wild Bill Hagy O's.

DON'T do Lee Greenwood and DON'T do John Cougar Mellencamp (sorry, I can't get one of his stagenames out of my mind).

Don't give me sentence parsing, metaphorical states of being, or other excuses (such as, it's got a beat, I can dance to it)... the problem with the song is Lee Greenwood.

At least ask me where I really feel. :)) :))

Next play.
Have a hard time disagreeing with you there. I don't hate the song, I have to admit (it's not on my iPod, I wouldn't go out of my way to hear it or go to a concert to hear him sing it, but I also don't change the station when it comes on), however, he personally kinda drives me nuts for some reason. Every time I SEE him, I want to change the channel. Don't know why. There's just something about him that annoys me for some reason.

He's kinda like Ron Howard's brother that way. I'm not saying he's as weird looking as him, he just gives me the same feeling. Anytime I see him in a movie, I want to change the channel.

Image Image

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 6th, 2009, 8:35 am

Lavabe wrote: And leave out the Wild Bill Hagy O's.
Don't pick on Bill. He was a good friend of mine. Although I'm sure he'd agree that the Oh's had their place in Baltimore alone.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 6th, 2009, 8:57 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Lavabe wrote: And leave out the Wild Bill Hagy O's.
Don't pick on Bill. He was a good friend of mine. Although I'm sure he'd agree that the Oh's had their place in Baltimore alone.
Are you serious, you were a friend of Wild Bill's? That is the coolest thing ever, well, next to swimming with sharks. ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 6th, 2009, 9:06 am

I like Lee Greenwood's song. It doesn't bother me if it's grammatically incorrect, they're song lyrics, it's okay to bend the rules (ducking from Cathy's inevitable throwing of rotten vegies ;) ).

The song does not remind me of the 2000 election, rather it reminds me of the first Gulf War and 9/11. Both times we banded together as a country and refused to be run over, nor allow another (somewhat) free country to be run over. It reminds me of people like my father who spent their careers defending our freedoms, and especially of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

It doesn't bother me that not everyone likes it, okay maybe it does a little. But we're all allowed to be different. That is what makes each of us unique.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 6th, 2009, 9:15 am

TillyGalore wrote:I like Lee Greenwood's song. It doesn't bother me if it's grammatically incorrect, they're song lyrics, it's okay to bend the rules (ducking from Cathy's inevitable throwing of rotten vegies ;) ).

The song does not remind me of the 2000 election, rather it reminds me of the first Gulf War and 9/11. Both times we banded together as a country and refused to be run over, nor allow another (somewhat) free country to be run over. It reminds me of people like my father who spent their careers defending our freedoms, and especially of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

It doesn't bother me that not everyone likes it, okay maybe it does a little. But we're all allowed to be different. That is what makes each of us unique.
I vote with Tilly on this. But also with Lavabe on the point that playing it in place of the Star Spangled Banner is just wrong.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Shameless Plug

Post by DukieInKansas » July 6th, 2009, 9:24 am

My niece's new show airs for the first time today on ESPN2 at 4pm edt - Sportsnation. If you have access to a TV please report back - I forgot to set the VCR.
Life is good!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Shameless Plug

Post by TillyGalore » July 6th, 2009, 9:44 am

DukieInKansas wrote:My niece's new show airs for the first time today on ESPN2 at 4pm edt - Sportsnation. If you have access to a TV please report back - I forgot to set the VCR.
Crap! Won't get home in time to DVR the program. Is it a daily program?
DukieInKansas

Re: Shameless Plug

Post by DukieInKansas » July 6th, 2009, 9:54 am

TillyGalore wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:My niece's new show airs for the first time today on ESPN2 at 4pm edt - Sportsnation. If you have access to a TV please report back - I forgot to set the VCR.
Crap! Won't get home in time to DVR the program. Is it a daily program?
Yes, it is a daily show. I'll have to get the VCR set for tomorrow.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 6th, 2009, 10:33 am

I have a flat tire. It was brand new. I got them on June 24.

Thank goodness for run-flats because this one showed up in the boonies of Brunswick County.

Thank goodness for fat tire warranties. Although it cost me big bucks a year ago to get this warranty, it's costing me $0 today to get the tire replaced.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » July 6th, 2009, 10:36 am

CathyCA wrote:I have a flat tire. It was brand new. I got them on June 24.

Thank goodness for run-flats because this one showed up in the boonies of Brunswick County.

Thank goodness for fat tire warranties. Although it cost me big bucks a year ago to get this warranty, it's costing me $0 today to get the tire replaced.
Flat tires are a pain. Did you find a nail in the tire or was it just a mystery flat? I'm glad you had the warranty.
Life is good!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 6th, 2009, 11:13 am

Yay for you. Shouldn't you get at least two new tires for balance purposes?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 6th, 2009, 11:20 am

TillyGalore wrote: Are you serious, you were a friend of Wild Bill's? That is the coolest thing ever, well, next to swimming with sharks.
Yes, he was a very good friend. I never met him in person, but played golf with him online every night for many years. We played Microsoft Links and I ran a team called "Soaring Eagles", and Wild Bill was one of my first "recruits". Early on, we could only chat through text messages while we played, but later we used Ventrilo to talk. He didn't talk too much about being THE Wild Bill of Orioles fame. He always had his fridge full of Budweiser and we'd play for hours into the early morning. We'd always laugh after Bill had filled up on his Bud, he'd have "to go water my petunias". We're pretty sure he had the best looking and biggest petunias in Maryland. I was probably one of the last people to talk to him, he died at his computer, and I'm sure was doing what he loved much, playing with friends. He was a favorite of our team as well as other teams we'd play. Not the best golfer, but so much fun. I miss him very much.
--
Great video link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoSYXQ1EEM
wildbill.jpg
Wild Bill
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 6th, 2009, 11:26 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I hate after-holiday-Mondays. Bleah.
Preach it, brother.

In addition, I really hate 9AM meetings on after-holiday mondays. Better get going....
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 6th, 2009, 11:57 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I hate after-holiday-Mondays. Bleah.
Preach it, brother.

In addition, I really hate 9AM meetings on after-holiday mondays. Better get going....
There should be a law against morning meetings the first business day after a holiday weekend.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 6th, 2009, 12:05 pm

TillyGalore wrote: Are you serious, you were a friend of Wild Bill's? That is the coolest thing ever, well, next to swimming with sharks.
Yes, he was a very good friend. I never met him in person, but played golf with him online every night for many years. We played Microsoft Links and I ran a team called "Soaring Eagles", and Wild Bill was one of my first "recruits". Early on, we could only chat through text messages while we played, but later we used Ventrilo to talk. He didn't talk too much about being THE Wild Bill of Orioles fame. He always had his fridge full of Budweiser and we'd play for hours into the early morning. We'd always laugh after Bill had filled up on his Bud, he'd have "to go water my petunias". We're pretty sure he had the best looking and biggest petunias in Maryland. I was probably one of the last people to talk to him, he died at his computer, and I'm sure was doing what he loved much, playing with friends. He was a favorite of our team as well as other teams we'd play. Not the best golfer, but so much fun. I miss him very much.
--
Great video link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoSYXQ1EEM
wildbill.jpg
I loved watching that piece. I was in Baltimore in 1979, and watching that piece brought back so many memories. Thank you for posting the link, CB&B.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 6th, 2009, 1:02 pm

I wonder how many times I will have to submit post # 6000 on the DBR? I have one up on the "ymm, beer" thread now that is my 2nd time around after they deleted about 4-5 posts for ? reason/s... :roll:

I may have to start labeling them 6000.1 or 6000.01if they start bouncing them regularly... :)) :D ;) :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 6th, 2009, 1:30 pm

devildeac wrote:I wonder how many times I will have to submit post # 6000 on the DBR? I have one up on the "ymm, beer" thread now that is my 2nd time around after they deleted about 4-5 posts for ? reason/s... :roll:

I may have to start labeling them 6000.1 or 6000.01if they start bouncing them regularly... :)) :D ;) :roll:
LOL..the forces of The Dark Side are against you.
DukeEmperor.jpg
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 6th, 2009, 3:59 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

Flat tires are a pain. Did you find a nail in the tire or was it just a mystery flat? I'm glad you had the warranty.
It was a 4 inch nail. The guy at the dealership in Wilmington located it. The tires were 11 days old. I got a new one. It cost me $12.98 for "shop materials" that weren't included in the warranty coverage.

The service guy was having a hard time deciphering the warranty because their dealership sells a different type of warranty. While he was trying to figure it out, over the PA system came this announcement, "Joseph Wade, you have a call on line 1." I inquired if that was Joseph Wade who had worked at the BMW dealership in Kinston. The service guy replied that yes, he was THAT Joseph Wade. "Why don't you ask him," I suggested, "since he's the guy who sold me my car and my warranty." Small world.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 6th, 2009, 5:07 pm

devildeac wrote:I wonder how many times I will have to submit post # 6000 on the DBR? I have one up on the "ymm, beer" thread now that is my 2nd time around after they deleted about 4-5 posts for ? reason/s... :roll:

DukeEmperor.jpg
Is that what some/most/all the mods look like on DBR? :)) :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 6th, 2009, 5:20 pm

devildeac wrote:

DukeEmperor.jpg
Is that what some/most/all the mods look like on DBR? :)) :))
With the exclusion of Devil84, maybe (yes I note you said most)!!!! :D :D =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))