Austin is Leaving

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Austin is Leaving

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 23rd, 2012, 11:17 am

Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Austin is Leaving

Post by bjornolf » March 23rd, 2012, 11:38 am

I heard on Twitter that Jeremiah said "not so fast, my friend." Might not be back, but it's not 100% QUITE yet.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Austing is Leaving

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 23rd, 2012, 11:55 am

bjornolf wrote:I heard on Twitter that Jeremiah said "not so fast, my friend." Might not be back, but it's not 100% QUITE yet.
Stick to your guns Austin! Fly free!!!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 23rd, 2012, 12:44 pm

I am going to assume he's gone. We are screwed next year. If we're lucky we'll finsih 4th or 5th in conference.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 23rd, 2012, 1:00 pm

Based on the link, I'm more concerned about Mason. I guess we'll find out "next week."
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 23rd, 2012, 3:06 pm

There are some stories out there floating around that the decision has not been made. Hogwash, I think.
Duke freshman guard Austin Rivers will declare for the NBA draft, sources said Friday.
He will make the formal announcement next week after spending the weekend at home in Orlando.
http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/ ... ources-say

That sounds pretty definitive. If Goodman and Katz had said "a source", I think those hoping beyond hope may have a chance, but when they both say "multiple sources" you can write it down. I hate hearing that about the staff knowing "in the latter part of the season that Rivers was going to leave", I wonder if the rest of the team knew also, and how it affected things overall..if at all.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » March 23rd, 2012, 5:52 pm

I'm not sad to see him go. IMO, he never bought into the "Team" concept so it is better for the team that he leaves.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 23rd, 2012, 7:40 pm

Bob Green wrote:I'm not sad to see him go. IMO, he never bought into the "Team" concept so it is better for the team that he leaves.
Yeah, that was the impression I got as well. It seemed as though he improved a bit toward the middle of the season with regard to looking for open teammates.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » March 24th, 2012, 12:05 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Bob Green wrote:I'm not sad to see him go. IMO, he never bought into the "Team" concept so it is better for the team that he leaves.
Yeah, that was the impression I got as well. It seemed as though he improved a bit toward the middle of the season with regard to looking for open teammates.
I agree, AD.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 24th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Guess we're in for finding out what brotherly love is all about. Will Mason stick by Marshal or cut and run? Sure would love to hear some surprising and positive recruiting news. We're in for a dry spell, but I'm still not sorry to hear that Rivers only temporarily dropped anchor and is rollin' on. I think he just got in Curry's way. And can ANYbody light a fire under Dawkins next year? This sauntering around looking laid back doesn't get it done. I hope he's studying hard 'cause he's gonna need a real job after graduation, bless his heart.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » March 25th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: We're in for a dry spell, but I'm still not sorry to hear that Rivers only temporarily dropped anchor and is rollin' on.
His only lasting memory will be the shot over Zeller. Not a bad memory, but hardly compares to what others will be able to look back on. This almost feels like William Avery all over again. Except that Avery's family was in an entirely different economic situation. Kyrie leaving early made sense last year. Neither Mason or Austin leaving does IMHO. But then, we are all allowed to make our own choices.

As for being in a dry spell, it started this year and will continue for a couple more. Lots of good players that will positively impact the university, but no premier athletes or players once Kyrie left.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 1st, 2012, 10:29 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: We're in for a dry spell, but I'm still not sorry to hear that Rivers only temporarily dropped anchor and is rollin' on.
His only lasting memory will be the shot over Zeller. Not a bad memory, but hardly compares to what others will be able to look back on. This almost feels like William Avery all over again. Except that Avery's family was in an entirely different economic situation. Kyrie leaving early made sense last year. Neither Mason or Austin leaving does IMHO. But then, we are all allowed to make our own choices.

As for being in a dry spell, it started this year and will continue for a couple more. Lots of good players that will positively impact the university, but no premier athletes or players once Kyrie left.
Maybe I should take my foot out of my mouth now...