Cover Letters/Resumes/Application Help

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Cover Letters/Resumes/Application Help

Post by DukieInKansas » November 13th, 2011, 1:54 am

captmojo wrote:
Turk wrote:Try this one. Best I've ever seen...
resume.jpg
Damn!
I thought I wrote that shit until I saw the part about killing a hawk. I never did that shit.

But, once I shot and decapitated a Carpenter Bee with my son's trusty 'Official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200 shot, range model air rifle with a compass on the stock and this thing which tells time', from a distance of ten feet.

That was some shit!
:cowboy:
:violence-guntoting:
And, I fired from the hip!
All I did was find a typo in the resume.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 13th, 2011, 9:23 am

colchar wrote:
Miles wrote:Thanks for everyone's great advice! I haven't written a cover letter in fifteen years. I couldn't even buy alcohol back then!

So I feel like now I've gotten my ideas organized, I need to tailor the letter for each position and let the resume and interviews (hopefully!) highlight the breadth of experience.

Y'all are the best.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Have you ever even remotely considered moving out of the US for a job? Here in Canada our economy is in far better shape than the US economy so there are probably more opportunities here. The city I lived in for ten years (throughout university and grad school) is known as Canada's Silicone Valley and I know a bunch of people who work in the tech industry there (there are two universities - including one of the top computer and engineering universities in the world - and a college, it is the insurance capital of Canada, and there are more tech companies than you can shake a stick at including the headquarters of RIM, who make the Blackberry, as they were founded by someone from one of the universities and their main campus is a corner of that university's campus). Your skills look like they would be in demand at some, or many, of the companies in town so if you have ever considered moving, even for a few years, let me know and I can start asking around to see what is available.
Silicone Valley?

What do they make there? Caulk? Adhesives? Implants?

(I'm kidding! But you would be amazed at the number of outsiders who referred to our valley as "Silicone Valley" who didn't know the difference between the element silicon and the compound of silicone.)

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 13th, 2011, 10:21 pm

CathyCA wrote:
colchar wrote:
Miles wrote:Thanks for everyone's great advice! I haven't written a cover letter in fifteen years. I couldn't even buy alcohol back then!

So I feel like now I've gotten my ideas organized, I need to tailor the letter for each position and let the resume and interviews (hopefully!) highlight the breadth of experience.

Y'all are the best.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Have you ever even remotely considered moving out of the US for a job? Here in Canada our economy is in far better shape than the US economy so there are probably more opportunities here. The city I lived in for ten years (throughout university and grad school) is known as Canada's Silicone Valley and I know a bunch of people who work in the tech industry there (there are two universities - including one of the top computer and engineering universities in the world - and a college, it is the insurance capital of Canada, and there are more tech companies than you can shake a stick at including the headquarters of RIM, who make the Blackberry, as they were founded by someone from one of the universities and their main campus is a corner of that university's campus). Your skills look like they would be in demand at some, or many, of the companies in town so if you have ever considered moving, even for a few years, let me know and I can start asking around to see what is available.
Silicone Valley?

What do they make there? Caulk? Adhesives? Implants?

(I'm kidding! But you would be amazed at the number of outsiders who referred to our valley as "Silicone Valley" who didn't know the difference between the element silicon and the compound of silicone.)

:9f:

Damned typos!!!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------