Game of Thrones

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Game of Thrones

Post by wilson » April 17th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Knowing how high the geek quotient is around here, I'm sure some other folks watched the first episode of the new HBO series tonight. I really enjoyed it, and will definitely watch the series.
I have never read the books either, and I believe I've discovered my next project, now that I've finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by windsor » April 18th, 2011, 5:56 am

I enjoyed it as well, and will be watching the series. Very well done. I haven't read the books, and am not sure if I want to while the series is ongoing...will have to think on that.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 18th, 2011, 8:39 am

DO NOT START READING THE SERIES YET!!!!!

I'm a HUGE fan of the series, but we've been promised the next book for about five years now, and Martin keeps getting sidetracked on other projects. Just check out some of the fan sites to see how frustrated people are. There's a current release date for the next book, but we've seen at least four of those come and go with no book. I don't know if the guy is lazy, or suffering writer's block, or if he's just enjoying his other stuff too much, but if I were you and hadn't been sucked in yet, I'd avoid it for now. Read David Farland's Runelords first. He at least likes his fans enough to write fairly often. Or Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Files series.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » April 18th, 2011, 10:19 am

wilson wrote:Knowing how high the geek quotient is around here, I'm sure some other folks watched the first episode of the new HBO series tonight. I really enjoyed it, and will definitely watch the series.
I have never read the books either, and I believe I've discovered my next project, now that I've finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.
You've already finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series?

Damn. You've accomplished in a matter of weeks/months what Kemba Walker is on pace to do in 63 years (read three books cover to cover)!

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 18th, 2011, 3:34 pm

EarlJam wrote:
wilson wrote:Knowing how high the geek quotient is around here, I'm sure some other folks watched the first episode of the new HBO series tonight. I really enjoyed it, and will definitely watch the series.
You've already finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series?

Damn. You've accomplished in a matter of weeks/months what Kemba Walker is on pace to do in 63 years (read three books cover to cover)!

-EarlJam
=)) =)) :ymdevil:

I just spit water all over the CVS pharmacy floor.
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 18th, 2011, 3:51 pm

bjornolf wrote:DO NOT START READING THE SERIES YET!!!!!

I'm a HUGE fan of the series, but we've been promised the next book for about five years now, and Martin keeps getting sidetracked on other projects. Just check out some of the fan sites to see how frustrated people are. There's a current release date for the next book, but we've seen at least four of those come and go with no book. I don't know if the guy is lazy, or suffering writer's block, or if he's just enjoying his other stuff too much, but if I were you and hadn't been sucked in yet, I'd avoid it for now. Read David Farland's Runelords first. He at least likes his fans enough to write fairly often. Or Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Files series.

@};-
Point taken. I will NOT start reading yet...I got hooked on Stephen King's Dark Tower early on...although it wasn't 5 years between books it seemed that way sometimes. I read at a ridiculous pace so I could burn through the first four in no time only to be left tapping my foot awaiting a new offering (and probably having to do what I did with the Harry Potter series - re-read all 6 the week before #7 came out) Five years is a LONG time between books in a series.

Then again, when I read the Dune series it was complete (I consider those written by Frank Herbert to be part of the series...anything else is an add on) and I read them back to back to back....by which point I was ready to get my own stillsuit. :D I was on Dune overload - a little too much of a good thing. When you find yourself reciting the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear you are a llittle over the 'normal' line.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 18th, 2011, 4:17 pm

I've read the series. They're very good. Like Joe said, we've been waiting quite some time for the next book. It sounds like this summer's release date is actually much more real than any of the dates before. He used to post on his blog "I should have it finished sometime this summer" and then summer would come and there'd be nothing but another excuse. But now there's an actual release date and listing on Amazon, so I think it's for real.
http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-Son ... 815&sr=8-1
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » April 18th, 2011, 4:18 pm

windsor wrote:Then again, when I read the Dune series it was complete (I consider those written by Frank Herbert to be part of the series...anything else is an add on) and I read them back to back to back....by which point I was ready to get my own stillsuit. :D I was on Dune overload - a little too much of a good thing. When you find yourself reciting the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear you are a llittle over the 'normal' line.
Dune overload? I have no idea what you mean. That sounds impossible.

And yes - the Brian Herbert DUNE books are shit.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » April 18th, 2011, 4:19 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
windsor wrote:Then again, when I read the Dune series it was complete (I consider those written by Frank Herbert to be part of the series...anything else is an add on) and I read them back to back to back....by which point I was ready to get my own stillsuit. :D I was on Dune overload - a little too much of a good thing. When you find yourself reciting the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear you are a llittle over the 'normal' line.

And I don't mean THE shit. I mean actual excrement.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 18th, 2011, 7:08 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I've read the series. They're very good. Like Joe said, we've been waiting quite some time for the next book. It sounds like this summer's release date is actually much more real than any of the dates before. He used to post on his blog "I should have it finished sometime this summer" and then summer would come and there'd be nothing but another excuse. But now there's an actual release date and listing on Amazon, so I think it's for real.
It's been listed for pre-order with a release date twice on Amazon. I even pre-ordered one of those times, only to have it canceled. So, I won't believe it until it's in my grubby little paw. :D

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 18th, 2011, 8:52 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
windsor wrote:Then again, when I read the Dune series it was complete (I consider those written by Frank Herbert to be part of the series...anything else is an add on) and I read them back to back to back....by which point I was ready to get my own stillsuit. :D I was on Dune overload - a little too much of a good thing. When you find yourself reciting the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear you are a little over the 'normal' line.

I knew you meant :poo: :poo: :poo: - I read Brian Herbert's Dune books. Waste of paper.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » April 18th, 2011, 9:05 pm

bjornolf wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I've read the series. They're very good. Like Joe said, we've been waiting quite some time for the next book. It sounds like this summer's release date is actually much more real than any of the dates before. He used to post on his blog "I should have it finished sometime this summer" and then summer would come and there'd be nothing but another excuse. But now there's an actual release date and listing on Amazon, so I think it's for real.
It's been listed for pre-order with a release date twice on Amazon. I even pre-ordered one of those times, only to have it canceled. So, I won't believe it until it's in my grubby little paw. :D

@};-
I just started reading this. You might find it interesting.
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011 ... act_miller
-- DukeUsul
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » April 27th, 2011, 6:03 pm

bjornolf wrote:

@};-
It is DONE: http://suvudu.com/2011/04/yes-it-is-done-really.html
http://grrm.livejournal.com/212603.html
:banana-dance: