Vibes for good friends

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Vibes for good friends

Post by DukeUsul » October 6th, 2009, 9:38 pm

So my wife's best friend from high school, also a good friend of mine, lost her house and all her belongings last night. Fast moving fire wiped everything out. Luckily, they all made it out including all three kids. They have insurance for the house, but don't have coverage for all their items. They're staying with her mom who lived nearby. Everyone is quickly rallying around them to provide clothes for the kids and help collect household items and some money for them to outfit whatever new place they end up living in. It's nice to know even in tough times how nice people can be.

Anyway, I thought I'd put out a request for some vibes. Keep Mary Anne and her husband and kids up in New Jersey in your thoughts and prayers.
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Vibes for good friends

Post by wilson » October 6th, 2009, 9:49 pm

DukeUsul wrote:So my wife's best friend from high school, also a good friend of mine, lost her house and all her belongings last night. Fast moving fire wiped everything out. Luckily, they all made it out including all three kids. They have insurance for the house, but don't have coverage for all their items. They're staying with her mom who lived nearby. Everyone is quickly rallying around them to provide clothes for the kids and help collect household items and some money for them to outfit whatever new place they end up living in. It's nice to know even in tough times how nice people can be.

Anyway, I thought I'd put out a request for some vibes. Keep Mary Anne and her husband and kids up in New Jersey in your thoughts and prayers.
Yikes. That's terrible. I have two very close friends whose family suffered a similar episode about 16 years ago. They still have really wrenching memories and feelings about it.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 6th, 2009, 9:52 pm

We had a nieghbor lose everything a few years ago...sending mega vibes to your friends!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 6th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Happy to hear the good news on their health...vibes for their better being.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 6th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Many vibes & prayers for your friends. I am glad they have friends such as your wife & you.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 6th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Vibes and prayers for your friends. How blessed they are to escape unharmed. I'm glad they have friends rallying around them.
Life is good!
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » October 7th, 2009, 12:42 am

Oh goodness, vibes indeed for your friends!

(Just a plug that the Red Cross is typically the organization that helps families without other means to recover from disasters like these - if you're heading into a fall giving campaign/united way pledge drive, they're a worthy place to direct a few bucks.)
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » October 7th, 2009, 6:18 am

I, too, am sending good vibes to your friends and so glad to hear that they are all safe.
Some friends of mine also lost their house and all possessions several years ago, but were fortunate to get everyone out, including the cat. Friends, family and community rallied round and helped them through that difficult time. All except the cable company, that is. It seems that destroyed by fire was not a sufficient excuse for not turning the cable box back in. The husband pulled a lump of melted something that was located where the tv used to be and took it to the cable office in order to get full credit...
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 7th, 2009, 8:11 am

Vibes enough to shake the Earth on their way to your buddies in Jersey! There but for the grace of God go any of us. It's little comfort I know, but they have already survived and are working through the worst thing that will probably ever happen in their lives. Nothing else will scare them after this.

Let them know about the power of the legendary CTN vibes! They are definitely at work.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 7th, 2009, 8:43 am

You may want to tell your friend if her personal papers were lost (and I'm guessing they are) she should immediately start requesting duplicates of her tax returns and w2s. Also bank statements if not available electronically. When my neighbors lost their house the biggest problem they had was getting the mortgage to rebuild after the insurance payout - they had no documentation because it was all lost in the fire. They spent an extra couple of months in a tiny rental while they gathered up all the paper work. Same deal with social security cards and birth certificates - start getting copies. It isn't something I would have thought about had it not happened to someone I know. It may spare them some grief in the long run.

Everyone else...make sure they really important stuff is in a fireproof cabinet!

Now is the time to make the time to scan those old family photos (yeah, I know it is pain in the arse) burn them up on to DVD and either put them in the safe deposit box or distribute a bunch of copies to family. Couches and TVs can be replaced...my grandmothers baby picture with her mother (the only known photo of my namesake, Ilona, who died in Hungary when my grandmother was 3) ...can't get another one of those!!
Last edited by windsor on October 7th, 2009, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 7th, 2009, 8:55 am

Big vibes DukeUsul.
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 8th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Sending vibes and prayers to your friends.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » October 9th, 2009, 7:15 am

Sending lots of vibes >>>
Class of 2014
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 9th, 2009, 7:18 am

Sending big vibes and prayers for your friend and the family from VA!!! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: