Brunchgate 10-03 Edition: menu planning and attendance

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Brunchgate 10-03 Edition: menu planning and attendance

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 28th, 2009, 7:46 am

Time to start this one up. Who will be there for the first OFFICIAL Brunchgate? Who's bringing what?

Gametime is at noon.

(edit note: title changed slightly-let's keep our discussion here directly related to CB&B's request and place other comments and hijacks on the 10/3 "social" thread. Thanks, DD )
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Brunchgate 10-03 Edition: menu planning and attendance

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 28th, 2009, 8:25 am

I'll be there. When thinking of menu items, remember that not only are we there for brunch but the tents will remain up for at least an hour AFTER the game, so we can gather again for post game libations and, well, post game food.

I'll bring my standard Bud Light and 1/4 pound all beef hot dogs, thinking these are mainly for after the game. I'm thinking the grill can be re-lit and the dogs cook pretty fast.

I'm hoping we'll have breakfast items pregame - eggs, bacon, TNT's previously mentioned spicy sausages, maybe french toast... Ymm!

Please keep the comments about TNT's spicy sausage in the "social" thread. =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 28th, 2009, 8:46 am

Bud & I will be there...We will bring hot dog chili, chopped onions and relish. I know we will have power. Will there be a way to plug in the crockpot with the chili?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 28th, 2009, 9:04 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:Bud & I will be there...We will bring hot dog chili, chopped onions and relish. I know we will have power. Will there be a way to plug in the crockpot with the chili?
Yes. :)
TNT's generator is only 1000 watts. The TV, satellite dish and sound system probably takes ~300 to 400 watts. The crockpot may take as much as 800 to 1000 watts all by itself (and at least 600 watts), so I really don't think electrically powered heating devices are a good idea. Better to heat the chili in a pot on one of the grills.

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 28th, 2009, 9:14 am

Sounds like too much cholesterol for me to handle, even with Zocor.

I wonder if TNT will do a bruschetta.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 28th, 2009, 11:30 am

I'll plan on making some sort of grilled potato dish. They go great with eggs. And I will have the first homebrew offerings of the season for drinking, a scotch ale.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 28th, 2009, 11:39 am

Guess what I'm bringing? . . . . . Mimosas, of course!!! I hope someone brings bagels and cream cheese :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 28th, 2009, 11:43 am

DukePA wrote:Guess what I'm bringing? . . . . . Mimosas, of course!!! I hope someone brings bagels and cream cheese :D
I do believe Jarhead will be back for this game. I'll send him a PM to remind and check the thread. Didn't he often hit up Panera bread last year?
DukePA

Post by DukePA » September 28th, 2009, 12:01 pm

DukePA wrote:Guess what I'm bringing? . . . . . Mimosas, of course!!! I hope someone brings bagels and cream cheese :D
I do believe Jarhead will be back for this game. I'll send him a PM to remind and check the thread. Didn't he often hit up Panera bread last year?
He sure did and those bagels rocked :)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 28th, 2009, 12:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:Bud & I will be there...We will bring hot dog chili, chopped onions and relish. I know we will have power. Will there be a way to plug in the crockpot with the chili?
Yes. :)
TNT's generator is only 1000 watts. The TV, satellite dish and sound system probably takes ~300 to 400 watts. The crockpot may take as much as 800 to 1000 watts all by itself (and at least 600 watts), so I really don't think electrically powered heating devices are a good idea. Better to heat the chili in a pot on one of the grills.
OK, I'll work on somethng to keep it warm.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2009, 12:42 pm

True. He returns mid-to-late week. Good idea. I'd send one here and DBR. Include BuschDevil in your PM. Yes, he brought bagels and cream cheese or Boar's Head cold cuts and bread/rolls. I'd bet he would be happy to get a reminder and bring one of the above menu combinations.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » September 28th, 2009, 12:58 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I'll be there. When thinking of menu items, remember that not only are we there for brunch but the tents will remain up for at least an hour AFTER the game, so we can gather again for post game libations and, well, post game food.

I'll bring my standard Bud Light and 1/4 pound all beef hot dogs, thinking these are mainly for after the game. I'm thinking the grill can be re-lit and the dogs cook pretty fast.

I'm hoping we'll have breakfast items pregame - eggs, bacon, TNT's previously mentioned spicy sausages, maybe french toast... Ymm!

Please keep the comments about TNT's spicy sausage in the "social" thread. =)) =)) =))
I'm going to state this publicly here- this game will be Duke's "Hot as Hell" game. Right now WRAL is forecasting 20 degrees (78F) and partly cloudy... but, I'm gonna' say it's going to be brutal! Duke always has one stinkin' hot home game and this will be the one. So... plan accordingly. :flame:

As for what I'm gonna' bring (tentatively): Brioche Sticky Buns, Cinnamon Raisin Bread and probably some biscuits along with couple dozen eggs and 2lbs of Bass Farm "Hot" sausage and some apple-wood smoked pepper bacon. Adult beverages, iced tea, water. I'm gonna' fine tune my hot-dog bun recipe as well.

I'll bring both of my tailgate grills, cast iron skillet(s) and all the usual items. I was debating about the TV (as there's not much to watch when you have the early game.) However, if we're gonna' "carry on" after the game I guess I'll bring it. (Besides, if "Thug" U starts beatin' us like a rented mule I may have to wander out and listen to the Duke game and watch something else...)
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Good stuff so far. Lookin' like doughnuts and fruit are glaring deficiencies so far. Hmm, DD is thinking and plotting. Dunkin' Donuts? A fresh fruit tray? Mrs. DD's specialty pumpkin or banananana bread (pee-cans and chocolate chips are possible additives)?
DukePA

Post by DukePA » September 28th, 2009, 2:25 pm

devildeac wrote:Good stuff so far. Lookin' like doughnuts and fruit are glaring deficiencies so far. Hmm, DD is thinking and plotting. Dunkin' Donuts? A fresh fruit tray? Mrs. DD's specialty pumpkin or banananana bread (pee-cans and chocolate chips are possible additives)?
Oooh, pumpkin bread!!! That sounds wonderful especially with a schmear of cream cheese (~~)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2009, 3:17 pm

DukePA wrote:
devildeac wrote:Good stuff so far. Lookin' like doughnuts and fruit are glaring deficiencies so far. Hmm, DD is thinking and plotting. Dunkin' Donuts? A fresh fruit tray? Mrs. DD's specialty pumpkin or banananana bread (pee-cans and chocolate chips are possible additives)?
Oooh, pumpkin bread!!! That sounds wonderful especially with a schmear of cream cheese (~~)
The request shall be formally entered into the discussion this evening. But, you must try a taste or two of pumpkin ale with it... ;) :D
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » September 28th, 2009, 4:55 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I'll be there. When thinking of menu items, remember that not only are we there for brunch but the tents will remain up for at least an hour AFTER the game, so we can gather again for post game libations and, well, post game food.

Ozzie, any word on when they're gonna' let us in the parking lot?
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 28th, 2009, 6:29 pm

TNTDevil wrote: Ozzie, any word on when they're gonna' let us in the parking lot?
Jacob said the tents would be up ~8, or at least they'd be setting them up then. I told him you'd probably be there at 8, and I'd get there around 9. You don't need to get there any earlier than 8, do you?

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2009, 10:47 pm

DukePA wrote:
Pumpkin bread it will be. It has been officially approved and put on the agenda for baking Friday evening. One loaf with pee-cans and the other with chocolate chips. Get your pumpkin ales ready to share/enjoy with this treat. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 30th, 2009, 10:07 am

Here's the latest info for Saturday!
Tailgaters,

Once again you guys did an awesome job. This week we were on numerous news channels and on the front page of the Herald. Last week was rainy and cool and we had every tent full and the atmosphere was awesome.

The team sent this message over: “Thanks to the tailgaters for making the Team Walk an awesome sight on Saturday.”

News about this week.

The tents are going to be set up at 8 am. We will keep them up until 6:30 pm at that time we will start tearing them down. I know some of you had asked that we keep them up after the game. If you want to order food through Thrills from the Grill here is the number 1-877-455-5787. The have great food!

Other than that I look forward to seeing every tent full by 9am, we need everyone there for the team walk.

GO DUKE,

Jacob Powers

Director of Group Sales

Duke University-Athletics

(919)-684-9008

(919) 812-6919 cell

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2009, 10:17 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Here's the latest info for Saturday!
Tailgaters,

Once again you guys did an awesome job. This week we were on numerous news channels and on the front page of the Herald. Last week was rainy and cool and we had every tent full and the atmosphere was awesome.

The team sent this message over: “Thanks to the tailgaters for making the Team Walk an awesome sight on Saturday.”

News about this week.

The tents are going to be set up at 8 am. We will keep them up until 6:30 pm at that time we will start tearing them down. I know some of you had asked that we keep them up after the game. If you want to order food through Thrills from the Grill here is the number 1-877-455-5787. The have great food!

Other than that I look forward to seeing every tent full by 9am, we need everyone there for the team walk.

GO DUKE,

Jacob Powers

Director of Group Sales

Duke University-Athletics

(919)-684-9008

(919) 812-6919 cell
Folks may want to bring a few extra items if they wish to hang after the game and make a post-game early supper out of it. I could probably clean up some leftovers and have another beverage before we head down to the coast for the rest of the weekend. This would also allow all the hokie traffic to clear out...