John Lester

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

John Lester

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2009, 8:24 pm

I sure hope Red Sox pitcher John Lester wasn't seriously injured by the wicked line drive off Melky Cabrerra's bat that hit him on the inside of his right knee, while he had his full weight on it during his follow through. As the recipient of two of those playing softball - you've all seen the pictures I posted back in April from #2, I am both empathetic and sympathetic to his pain. Hope he gets back in time for their playoff run. He's their ace.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: John Lester

Post by Bostondevil » September 25th, 2009, 8:27 pm

That's very kind of you Ozzie. Meanwhile, I hope Melky Cabrerra burns in hell.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Bostondevil wrote:That's very kind of you Ozzie. Meanwhile, I hope Melky Cabrerra burns in hell.
Y'know, he didn't do it on purpose. If the ball had gone through, he would have gotten 2 RBIs instead of just 1. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Good news for you, BD. X-rays negative, it hit him in the quad, not the knee. It did leave a mark.....

Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 25th, 2009, 8:52 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:That's very kind of you Ozzie. Meanwhile, I hope Melky Cabrerra burns in hell.
Y'know, he didn't do it on purpose. If the ball had gone through, he would have gotten 2 RBIs instead of just 1. :D
That's beside the point. Purposeful or not, may he burn in hell. I've always hated him, now I have a reason.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 25th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
That's beside the point. Purposeful or not, may he burn in hell. I've always hated him, now I have a reason.
What's a Melky Cabrerra? ;)

Again with the New York Steroid Users and the Boston Steroid Users... Oy!! A plague o' both your houses. :tease: :ymtongue:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:

What's a Melky Cabrerra? ;)

Again with the New York Steroid Users and the Boston Steroid Users... Oy!! A plague o' both your houses. :tease: :ymtongue:
Hey Lavabe! Go play with your lemurs. BD and I are having fun here! Well, at least I am having fun! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 25th, 2009, 9:29 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Hey Lavabe! Go play with your lemurs. BD and I are having fun here! Well, at least I am having fun! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Can we expect the name "Melky" to be part of the next generation of Ozzies? /:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Hey Lavabe! Go play with your lemurs. BD and I are having fun here! Well, at least I am having fun! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Can we expect the name "Melky" to be part of the next generation of Ozzies? /:)
Uh, NO!
Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE on September 25th, 2009, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 25th, 2009, 9:31 pm

If there are 100 players on that list, it's not our fault they only leak the Red Sox and the Yankees. That's 100 positive tests. You figure for every positive test there are 2 or 3 other guys that beat the test. That's 300-400 steroid users. That's everybody. Baseball, at least from the late '90s through 2007 was just like cycling. You were either a cheater or a loser. But I still bet some Pittsburgh Pirates were on the list. If you've got a problem with baseball, that's OK with me, but don't be naive and think that there was a single team that was clean.

The steroid user I can never forgive is Marion Jones.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 25th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Bostondevil wrote: If you've got a problem with baseball, that's OK with me, but don't be naive and think that there was a single team that was clean.
I've got a problem with baseball.

With all due respect, the attitude that "you're either a cheater or a loser" is good enough reason to leave baseball. And it sends such a great message to the kids who play. :Boo:
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 25th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Fine, you don't have to follow baseball. But neither Boston nor New York has a corner on the steroid user market. They just paid their users more money.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 26th, 2009, 7:59 am

Bostondevil wrote:Fine, you don't have to follow baseball. But neither Boston nor New York has a corner on the steroid user market. They just paid their users more money.
And have sustained postseason success built on the actions of alleged or noted ped users on the list, including Manny and Papi (who, I believe I heard the other day on ESPN, still believes if you're caught, you should be out of baseball for a year).

And with all due respect, the extent to which each team has been affected by ped/steroid use has not been established as equal. If, at a bare minimum, most of your production on a team is on the list, and that team wins at least two World Series, well that IS different. Or if two of your starting pitchers on your World Series teams have allegedly been linked to peds, that IS different.

I've been burned too many times supporting teams that benefitted (sp?) differentially from others (e.g., the McGwire Cardinals). I'm just not willing to be burned again. And I just can't see getting too excited about teams whose big producers (Papi and ARoid) are under such suspicion.

Now a Fenway or Yankee Stadium hot dog... those I can get excited over. Meeting folks at a St.Louis or Braves game... you bet. :D
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 26th, 2009, 9:39 am

And I will argue that everybody's 'stars' were on that list but they only leaked the Red Sox and Yankee players cause those are the ones that make news. If the Braves had won more World Series, I'm sure Chipper Jones would have been leaked by now. And which year do we suspend Ortiz for? He tested postive 6 years ago when MLB had no official policy against steroid use. And if you do think that Ortiz should be suspended, well, then we have to take a look at the whole list and suspend everybody on it. It was all wink, wink and don't talk about it back then. Baseball enjoyed the results and turned a blind eye. I refuse to hold individual players accountable for the entire culture. Rules are in place now and as far as I know, Ortiz hasn't broken them. Neither has Alex Rodriguez. Manny has and he got suspended for 50 games, although he was neither a Red Sock or a Yankee at the time of his suspension.

So, fine hate baseball, but seriously, don't keep harping on the Red Sox and the Yankees when everybody was doing it. The Red Sox and Yankees just have the resources to pay for the best steroid users. A generation ago the Yankees paid for the best amphetamine users. Before that it was drunks like Ruth.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 26th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Bostondevil wrote:And I will argue that everybody's 'stars' were on that list but they only leaked the Red Sox and Yankee players cause those are the ones that make news. If the Braves had won more World Series, I'm sure Chipper Jones would have been leaked by now. And which year do we suspend Ortiz for? He tested postive 6 years ago when MLB had no official policy against steroid use. And if you do think that Ortiz should be suspended, well, then we have to take a look at the whole list and suspend everybody on it. It was all wink, wink and don't talk about it back then. Baseball enjoyed the results and turned a blind eye. I refuse to hold individual players accountable for the entire culture. Rules are in place now and as far as I know, Ortiz hasn't broken them. Neither has Alex Rodriguez. Manny has and he got suspended for 50 games, although he was neither a Red Sock or a Yankee at the time of his suspension.

So, fine hate baseball, but seriously, don't keep harping on the Red Sox and the Yankees when everybody was doing it. The Red Sox and Yankees just have the resources to pay for the best steroid users. A generation ago the Yankees paid for the best amphetamine users. Before that it was drunks like Ruth.
Umm, did the list ever come out, or at the very least, was it shown that members of all teams were represented on the list?

If they "have the resources to pay for the best steroid users," then they deserve to be known for it. Right? ;)

There are times when I just wish that MLB would go on hiatus and correct things. WHOOPS... didn't it do that already? Wasn't that part of the reason folks just went "wink, wink?"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 26th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Bostondevil wrote: A generation ago the Yankees paid for the best amphetamine users. Before that it was drunks like Ruth.
Gee, BD, you seem a little bitter... =))

Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 26th, 2009, 1:37 pm

The list was sealed by court order. There were over 100 names on that list. The names that have been 'leaked' over the years have been done so by anonymous sources who were breaking the law. And again, Ortiz and Rodriguez, and for that matter McGwire and Sosa and Palmeiro and Caminiti and all the others who haven't tested positive since the clean-up shouldn't have to address the issue. I'm sorry but they shouldn't. Unless the list becomes unsealed (which is not going to happen) it should be a non-starter of a news story when somebody else with ulterior motives decides to make a buck or whatever by releasing a name on the list. Either publish it or be done with it. Let's move forward. If you want to assume that everybody is still using steroids, that's your right. I will choose to believe that Ortiz is not using anything today. But I also think that there is no way Lance Armstrong could have had his career without cheating. So. I still watched the Tour de France this year. You may prefer not to watch any sports where the participants use performance enhancing drugs. May I suggest figure skating? To my knowledge, no figure skater has ever been accused of using steroids. I'm going to guess you don't watch football. Just look at the average size of offensive lineman today compared with a generation ago. It's not better (or worse) eating habits.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 26th, 2009, 1:38 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Bostondevil wrote: A generation ago the Yankees paid for the best amphetamine users. Before that it was drunks like Ruth.
Gee, BD, you seem a little bitter... =))
Nah, we don't have a cheap owner anymore, we can compete. How many years has it been since the Yankees won it all by the way?
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 26th, 2009, 1:39 pm

And speaking of figure skating. So glad the Yankees failed in their attempt to pull a Tonya Harding on our ace. ;)
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 26th, 2009, 1:40 pm

:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: Melky Cabrerra :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: