American Idol

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

American Idol

Post by CathyCA » April 15th, 2009, 9:03 pm

I'm watching American Idol right now and thinking: How cool is it that one of the judges is a Duke grad?

Do you think, if it came down to it, and Anoop (the Tarhole) got voted off, that Kara would vote to save him?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: American Idol

Post by CathyCA » April 15th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Lamely replying to my own post: Anoop is safe for another week. WTF?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
herb
PW in training
PW in training

Post by herb » April 15th, 2009, 9:53 pm

CathyCA wrote:I'm watching American Idol right now and thinking: How cool is it that one of the judges is a Duke grad?

Do you think, if it came down to it, and Anoop (the Tarhole) got voted off, that Kara would vote to save him?
Kara's one of us? I didn't realize that. Cool
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » April 15th, 2009, 11:00 pm

CathyCA wrote:Lamely replying to my own post: Anoop is safe for another week. WTF?

Hey hey hey! West Coast people on the board!
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 16th, 2009, 12:37 am

Sue71 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Lamely replying to my own post: Anoop is safe for another week. WTF?

Hey hey hey! West Coast people on the board!
As a former West Coaster, I know not to click on TV topics that have yet to air in my time zone.

GAH, I LOVE being back on the east coast so that I can watch shows which originate from the west coast originate LIVE instead of having to wait for that pesky 3 hour delay. . .

~ James Naismith
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 16th, 2009, 4:40 am

CathyCA wrote:As a former West Coaster, I know not to click on TV topics that have yet to air in my time zone.

GAH, I LOVE being back on the east coast so that I can watch shows which originate from the west coast originate LIVE instead of having to wait for that pesky 3 hour delay. . .
First, word. I share your philosophy. I don't get to see Lost until Thursdays, so I avoid Lost threads until I've seen the show.

I'm actually torn about sports on the east coast. On one hand, I think the NFL football schedule sucks on the east coast. But on the other, I'll get more Duke games.
sMiles
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 16th, 2009, 9:19 am

Miles wrote:
CathyCA wrote:As a former West Coaster, I know not to click on TV topics that have yet to air in my time zone.

First, word. I share your philosophy. I don't get to see Lost until Thursdays, so I avoid Lost threads until I've seen the show.

I'm actually torn about sports on the east coast. On one hand, I think the NFL football schedule sucks on the east coast. But on the other, I'll get more Duke games.
I think West coasters potentially getting spoiled on shows is the price they have to pay for making us East coasters stay up so late to watch sports. 10:15 tip off times for NCAA games? MNF games that run past midnight?

:p
-- DukeUsul
Miles

Post by Miles » April 16th, 2009, 1:44 pm

DukeUsul wrote: I think West coasters potentially getting spoiled on shows is the price they have to pay for making us East coasters stay up so late to watch sports. 10:15 tip off times for NCAA games? MNF games that run past midnight?
:p
Exactly! MNF is going to kill me, sorta. At least I get to work from home so I can get an extra hour of sleep.
sMiles
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » April 16th, 2009, 8:46 pm

I think Anoop should sing 'Kung Fu Fighting' next week for disco week. He might go down, but it would be awesome!!!!

I think Kris should sing 'You Sexy Thing' for obvious reasons. Plus he could probably pull it off.

I won't suggest anything for Adam, I just want to see what he will do. Although, 'It's Rainin' Men' could be another all kinds of awesome song choice but maybe too much for middle America so, no, I'm not suggesting it.

I love disco night, heck, I love disco music. No parking on my dance floor, baby, cause I've got the Boogie Fever. I'm going to put on my my my Boogies Shoes and take myself to FunkyTown. OMG, somebody, anybody, please sing FunkyTown.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » April 16th, 2009, 8:52 pm

I just heard my oldest son singing 'Mad World' to himself in his room while doing homework with his lovely voice. Makes me want to go vote for Adam right now.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Miles

Post by Miles » April 16th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I just heard my oldest son singing 'Mad World' to himself in his room while doing homework with his lovely voice. Makes me want to go vote for Adam right now.
That's pretty cool! Now go get him the Tears for Fears single so he can have a proper musical education. :D
Seriously thought, Gary Jules version is the best!
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 16th, 2009, 9:59 pm

herb wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I'm watching American Idol right now and thinking: How cool is it that one of the judges is a Duke grad?

Kara's one of us? I didn't realize that. Cool
As mentioned on another thread somewhere off on The Planet Moderator, Kara got a PoliSci bachelors from beloved Duke University.

Then again, maybe the thread was moderated out of existence. :ugeek:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Disco Sucks

Post by Lavabe » April 17th, 2009, 10:07 am

Bostondevil wrote:I think Anoop should sing 'Kung Fu Fighting' next week for disco week. He might go down, but it would be awesome!!!!

I think Kris should sing 'You Sexy Thing' for obvious reasons. Plus he could probably pull it off.

I won't suggest anything for Adam, I just want to see what he will do. Although, 'It's Rainin' Men' could be another all kinds of awesome song choice but maybe too much for middle America so, no, I'm not suggesting it.

I love disco night, heck, I love disco music. No parking on my dance floor, baby, cause I've got the Boogie Fever. I'm going to put on my my my Boogies Shoes and take myself to FunkyTown. OMG, somebody, anybody, please sing FunkyTown.
I'm hoping for the following:
Anoop: How Deep Is Your Love? (Would that count?)
Allison: Blondie's "Heart of Glass"
Adam: Stones' "Miss You"
Matt: Anything by KC & the Sunshine Band (just get him off the show)
Lil: I'm thinking ANYTHING by Donna Summer (just get her off the show)
Kris: Disco Inferno
Gokey: Love Roller Coaster, Love the..., Say What?

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 21st, 2009, 8:22 pm

Okay, posting in the middle of the show, and I don't want to ruin it for the West Coast folks, but Kris Allen just nailed Donna Summer's "She Works Hard for the Money." Simply amazing. :-o :-o :-o :-o :-bd

More later.
Cheers,
Lavabe
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 21st, 2009, 8:28 pm

Lavabe wrote:Okay, posting in the middle of the show, and I don't want to ruin it for the West Coast folks, but Kris Allen just nailed Donna Summer's "She Works Hard for the Money." Simply amazing. :-o :-o :-o :-o :-bd

More later.
Cheers,
Lavabe
I have to agree!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 21st, 2009, 8:31 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Okay, posting in the middle of the show, and I don't want to ruin it for the West Coast folks, but Kris Allen just nailed Donna Summer's "She Works Hard for the Money." Simply amazing. :-o :-o :-o :-o :-bd

More later.
Cheers,
Lavabe
I have to agree!
Alison - woooo whoooooo!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 21st, 2009, 8:41 pm

And Adam sang a greatly slowed down "If I Can't Have You." Sort of like Roy Orbison...

VERY original. REALLY interesting.
Cheers,
Lavabe
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 21st, 2009, 8:57 pm

Lavabe wrote:And Adam sang a greatly slowed down "If I Can't Have You." Sort of like Roy Orbison...

VERY original. REALLY interesting.
Cheers,
Lavabe
You've got a good ear! Concur!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 22nd, 2009, 4:31 am

Whose turn is it to go?
Lil: Should make it into the bottom three, unless the votefortheworst folks have their way. There may also be a backlash against the judges for negative comments they gave her.

Anoop: Will probably make it into the bottom three. Some good notes, and a few baaaaaaaad notes. #-o

Matt: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... see ya! :ymsick:

Gokey: Awful performance of EW&F's September. He is wearing on me big time. :ymsick: :ymsick:

Allison: She wins the whole thing if they have Janis Joplin week... but this was DISCO week. One verse of "Piece of my Heart" or "Me and Bobby McGee," please? She has had a history of getting in the bottom three. :-?

Adam & Kris: They both took disco songs and made them non-disco. Adam should be safe. I hope Kris is as well.

I'd like to see Lil and Matt go, but I don't know what will happen with voting. Do they add in votes from the previous week (when the judges' SAVE went into effect)? Unfortunately, given her previous history of making the bottom three, I wouldn't be surprised if Allison made it there, and were voted off. I'd be disappointed, but not surprised. I really want Gokey in the bottom three. :-l

Cheers.
Lavabe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

So long, farewell...

Post by Lavabe » April 23rd, 2009, 1:23 pm

So long Lil Rounds!! She was disposed of quickly. :ymsmug:

Bye-bye, tar holes!! Anoop Dog is no longer in the house. :ymdevil:

Legacy Lady's favorites are Adam and Allison. It came down to Anoop and Allison. We couldn't dial in because ILoveJimmy had to vote for devildeac's eldest daughter's choice ... Anoop. So not only couldn't we vote, but my wife voted some 50 times for Anoop Dog, the Tar Hole... all as a favor for her niece.

If Allison had gone, there would have been fireworks. x_x

WHY ILJ failed to support her own daughter is beyond me. WHY ILJ supported a hole is beyond me. [-x

Ugh.

Cheers,
Lavabe