Arkansas incident

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Arkansas incident

Post by wilson » September 9th, 2009, 3:12 pm

If this had happened at Duke, it would have led SportsCenter. Just sayin'.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4458614
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Arkansas incident

Post by bjornolf » September 10th, 2009, 8:51 am

If this had happened at Duke, they would have DNA tested every player to ever wear a Duke uniform, violated their civil rights six ways to Sunday, gotten a signed petition by the faculty insisting they be thrown out of school, falsely charged and then slandered in the media to no end. Then they would have found out the girl was lying and everything would just get dropped without any apologies. But that would NEVER happen in real life, right?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 10th, 2009, 9:18 am

bjornolf wrote:If this had happened at Duke, they would have DNA tested every player to ever wear a Duke uniform, violated their civil rights six ways to Sunday, gotten a signed petition by the faculty insisting they be thrown out of school, falsely charged and then slandered in the media to no end. Then they would have found out the girl was lying and everything would just get dropped without any apologies. But that would NEVER happen in real life, right?

%%-
There are certain folks who still need to be strung up by their _______ and ______ for their inflammatory roles in that event.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 10th, 2009, 11:38 am

wilson wrote:If this had happened at Duke, it would have led SportsCenter. Just sayin'.
So, what happened? I can't open the link. Thanks
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 10th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
wilson wrote:If this had happened at Duke, it would have led SportsCenter. Just sayin'.
Three Arkansas basketball players were investigated by campus (and I think local) police in conjunction with an alleged rape at a fraternity house. Barring new evidence or developments, it doesn't appear there will be any charges.
Again, I contend that if this exact situation occurred at Duke, it would lead SportsCenter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 10th, 2009, 5:07 pm

wilson wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
Three Arkansas basketball players were investigated by campus (and I think local) police in conjunction with an alleged rape at a fraternity house. Barring new evidence or developments, it doesn't appear there will be any charges.
Again, I contend that if this exact situation occurred at Duke, it would lead SportsCenter.
Daily.

For several months.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 11th, 2009, 2:12 am

wilson wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
You won't find many that would disagree with you. I would like to think that it is because the media learned something from the 2006 incident. The realistic side says they didn't and had the above incident had been at a Duke, it would have been all over all the news.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 11th, 2009, 11:03 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:You won't find many that would disagree with you. I would like to think that it is because the media learned something from the 2006 incident. The realistic side says they didn't and had the above incident had been at a Duke, it would have been all over all the news.
Yeah, I hate to be a cynic, but I'm of the latter opinion. You can bet your ass Gregg Doyel would have had something to say about it (to say nothing of Jason Whitlock, Bomani Jones, Gary Parrish...).
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 12th, 2009, 10:30 am

wilson wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:You won't find many that would disagree with you. I would like to think that it is because the media learned something from the 2006 incident. The realistic side says they didn't and had the above incident had been at a Duke, it would have been all over all the news.
Yeah, I hate to be a cynic, but I'm of the latter opinion. You can bet your ass Gregg Doyel would have had something to say about it (to say nothing of Jason Whitlock, Bomani Jones, Gary Parrish...).
I'll give Jason Whitlock his due - he actually figured out it was a scam and supported the players. I don't often agree with him but occasionally I do, enough so that I give his columns a look.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 14th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Maybe because this isn't the first time something like this has happened at AR. Sad but true.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 20th, 2009, 8:59 am

wilson wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
Short follow-up: John Pelphrey is suspending at least one player (possibly more) for their role in this incident. Additionally, they're being given community service and individualized, one-on-one meetings with a trained professional on decision-making choices. The entire team is also having to participate in special educational meetings on decisions and consequences, and on the U of A Code of Student Conduct. As a point of comparison, IIRC, Nolan Richardson did nothing when a similar incident happened under his watch.

Okay, here's the point of the story that somehow seemed to escape mention in the ESPN story: the prosecutor that decided not to pursue the case is related by marriage to a couple of U of A Athletic Dept officials. The alleged victim is pursuing action aimed at getting another prosecutor to look at the evidence. Seems to me like there's a valid point here.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein