Duke vs. Army

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

dukediv2012
PW in training
PW in training

Duke vs. Army

Post by dukediv2012 » September 7th, 2009, 10:29 pm

This game is important for the young Duke team. Practices this week will focus on PERFECT preparation. The coaches after the Richmond game want the players to show more in practice than last week (no more going through the motions). I expect that we see a different team on the field this week than last. Not necessarily different players, but different schemes.

This will be an exciting game as Coach K will be inducted into the Army HOF at halftime. (I will be there!)

GO DUKE!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Duke vs. Army

Post by DukePA » September 7th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Fantastic!! Sometimes we need to stumble before we gain momentum and fly.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2009, 10:37 pm

dukediv2012 wrote: This will be an exciting game as Coach K will be inducted into the Army HOF at halftime. (I will be there!)
Very cool!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 7th, 2009, 10:39 pm

dukediv2012 wrote:This game is important for the young Duke team. Practices this week will focus on PERFECT preparation. The coaches after the Richmond game want the players to show more in practice than last week (no more going through the motions). I expect that we see a different team on the field this week than last. Not necessarily different players, but different schemes.

This will be an exciting game as Coach K will be inducted into the Army HOF at halftime. (I will be there!)

GO DUKE!
Doubly special! An important game in the rising of the phoenix and Coach K being honored! I look forward to reading what you have to say afterward.... game and induction.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 8th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Apparently some of the Duke Alumni are taking a boat up the river in New York to the Army game! I want to go! :!: :!: :!:
Class of 2014
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 8th, 2009, 2:47 pm

CellR wrote:Apparently some of the Duke Alumni are taking a boat up the river in New York to the Army game! I want to go! :!: :!: :!:
Boat? It's a yacht. Price per person for the chartered yacht only is around $500. The limited space was made available to Iron Dukes who may or may not be alums. A nice package including the yacht up the Hudson, round trip bus transportation to and from the docks in NYC and West Point Landing, several meals plus two nights at the NY Marriott Marquis. Not included: air fare or other transportation to NYC, round trip transportation to hotel, game tickets.

Sure wish I could be there!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 8th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
CellR wrote:Apparently some of the Duke Alumni are taking a boat up the river in New York to the Army game! I want to go! :!: :!: :!:
Boat? It's a yacht. Price per person for the chartered yacht only is around $500. The limited space was made available to Iron Dukes who may or may not be alums. A nice package including the yacht up the Hudson, round trip bus transportation to and from the docks in NYC and West Point Landing, several meals plus two nights at the NY Marriott Marquis. Not included: air fare or other transportation to NYC, round trip transportation to hotel, game tickets.

Wow, for $500 that is a great price if it includes meals and hotels. I couldn't afford it, but it's a bargain all the same. (It still won't beat brunchgate!)
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 8th, 2009, 4:58 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Wow, for $500 that is a great price if it includes meals and hotels. I couldn't afford it, but it's a bargain all the same. (It still won't beat brunchgate!)
$500 was for the yacht portion only (did include meals that day). The total package was priced at $760 per person double occupancy or $1020 for single occupancy. Still a pretty good deal considering the rack rates for the hotel included. Air, transportation to the hotel and game tickets extra. The announcement was dated July 26. Deadline August 7. Basically nonrefundable.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 8th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I got an email alert today, round trip to NYC from RDU = $168. I didn't look to see how those actual dates would work out. My next trip isn't until next spring (Vegas to see friends)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 9th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Yesterday's "line" that I saw in the n&o had us as 2.5 point underdogs. Time to earn some respect.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 9th, 2009, 8:05 pm

devildeac wrote:Yesterday's "line" that I saw in the n&o had us as 2.5 point underdogs. Time to earn some respect.
I suspect that the practices this week will be geared toward more intense, focused play. Having Coach K honored may add a spark of intensity..... what do your sources say regarding Coach K speaking to the team before the game?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 9th, 2009, 8:56 pm

devildeac wrote:Yesterday's "line" that I saw in the n&o had us as 2.5 point underdogs. Time to earn some respect.
I suspect that the practices this week will be geared toward more intense, focused play. Having Coach K honored may add a spark of intensity..... what do your sources say regarding Coach K speaking to the team before the game?
Haven't heard about that but I will inquire via PM tonight... :D ;)
dukediv2012
PW in training
PW in training

Post by dukediv2012 » September 10th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Devildeac's source has not heard if K will speak to the team before the game, but does have some interesting news.

The kicker at Army will be a walk-on... Will Snyderwine. Today he made a 8-9 attempts including at 57 yarder. His final kick of the day was a 39 yard field goal (the rest of the team surrounding him while yelling and the coaches were blowing their whistles in his ears) and he..... MADE THE KICK! He served as the kick-off man last week, but will also assume all field goal attempts at Army.

The coaches were excited about practices this week and Coach Cut was extremely pleased with the amount of intensity that the team showed the entire week. He said that they look "hungry" and he demands their best during this game at West Point.

Last week was a shock to the coaching staff and the team, but Cut basically said, "No excuses for that loss because we didn't play well at all!" He expects a much better effort at 12pm Saturday afternoon.

On another note, I have been granted a full exemption from the Grad School Campout this weekend because of our trip to West Point, but I plan to enjoy the experience when we return home on Saturday evening. GO DUKE!

P.S. I saw Andre Dawkins, Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, and Miles and Mason Plumlee today... they are big dudes.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 10th, 2009, 6:24 pm

dukediv2012 wrote: The kicker at Army will be a walk-on... Will Snyderwine. Today he made a 8-9 attempts including at 57 yarder. His final kick of the day was a 39 yard field goal (the rest of the team surrounding him while yelling and the coaches were blowing their whistles in his ears) and he..... MADE THE KICK! He served as the kick-off man last week, but will also assume all field goal attempts at Army.
That story is too funny. DD noticed they called Snyderwine's name on our last PAT Saturday.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 10th, 2009, 10:24 pm

dukediv2012 wrote: The kicker at Army will be a walk-on... Will Snyderwine. Today he made a 8-9 attempts including at 57 yarder. His final kick of the day was a 39 yard field goal (the rest of the team surrounding him while yelling and the coaches were blowing their whistles in his ears) and he..... MADE THE KICK! He served as the kick-off man last week, but will also assume all field goal attempts at Army.
That story is too funny. DD noticed they called Snyderwine's name on our last PAT Saturday.
I'm really happy to hear this. Hasn't Maggio been stinking up the joint for like, two-plus seasons now?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 10th, 2009, 11:11 pm

wilson wrote:
I'm really happy to hear this. Hasn't Maggio been stinking up the joint for like, two-plus seasons now?
I thought Maggio and Surgan were respectable last year. Surgan stunk up the field 2 years ago. He and Maggio split the PK (not PW :oops: :roll: ) duties last year with one being the long PK guy and the other being the short PK guy. I can't remember which was which.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 10th, 2009, 11:13 pm

I would say Maggio was fine last year, it was 2 years ago that we looked so reminiscent of last Saturday. bleah!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 10th, 2009, 11:14 pm

dukediv2012 wrote:Devildeac's source has not heard if K will speak to the team before the game, but does have some interesting news.

The kicker at Army will be a walk-on... Will Snyderwine. Today he made a 8-9 attempts including at 57 yarder. His final kick of the day was a 39 yard field goal (the rest of the team surrounding him while yelling and the coaches were blowing their whistles in his ears) and he..... MADE THE KICK! He served as the kick-off man last week, but will also assume all field goal attempts at Army.

The coaches were excited about practices this week and Coach Cut was extremely pleased with the amount of intensity that the team showed the entire week. He said that they look "hungry" and he demands their best during this game at West Point.

Last week was a shock to the coaching staff and the team, but Cut basically said, "No excuses for that loss because we didn't play well at all!" He expects a much better effort at 12pm Saturday afternoon.

On another note, I have been granted a full exemption from the Grad School Campout this weekend because of our trip to West Point, but I plan to enjoy the experience when we return home on Saturday evening. GO DUKE!

P.S. I saw Andre Dawkins, Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, and Miles and Mason Plumlee today... they are big dudes.
I saw MP2 (I think) at the FB game with MP1 and if Miles is a legit 6'10", the Mason appeared to be 6'11 3/4"(nobody likes to be listed/called a 7 footer, except Zooooooooooooooooooooooobeck, of course ;) )
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 11th, 2009, 8:09 am

Yay! I verified I have the CBS sports network channel, and I will be able to watch the game tomorrow. Yay!
:D :D :ymparty: :ymparty: :D :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 11th, 2009, 8:09 am

And I will be chatting away in Section 21!