Front Page Help

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Front Page Help

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Ok folks, my fault. I keep saying I'm gonna do something with the front page and changes to the forum (chat room, too), but procrastination is so easy. Here is the call for help. What we need is a couple things.

1. The front page needs to be dynamic. Obviously it's not. I don't know if anyone of us even go there, I don't. I'd love to have some cool stuff like a calendar of events there, related to upcoming games and CT outings / get togethers. EarlJam had said he wanted to do a column, and I loved that idea. Basically, we need to give that page a different look and a purpose. I have the keys to the kingdom, so to speak, but need someone who is pretty good with code to take the reigns. I wish I had the time, but I don't. The site is heavy in MySQL/PHP, so knowledge helps.

2. The phpbb has a mod that we can utilize that adds a chat room. We can totally set up live chat for games, as well as any time use, similar to snrubchat, except that it is built directly into CTN instead of being a separate login. Once again, php knowledge is a must there. I'm way rusty on my coding and debugging, so it's been on my back burner in fear of my actions doing something horrible, like wiping everything out. #:-s

3. Content for the front page. Like I mentioned, EJ said he would love to do a column. Well, we would need more than one person writing, so anyone can help out there contributing. Photos from games will be most welcome and encouraged as well.

Respond here with what you would be willing or capable of doing. We can take our time with this, in fact we SHOULD take our time with this if we want it looking great. I'll do my best to relegate duties. Obviously some of you will need admin priveleges behind the scenes, just be aware that those priveleges come with responsibility, since you would have the power to wipe the whole site out. X(
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Front Page Help

Post by wilson » August 17th, 2009, 10:32 pm

I'd love to write some, maybe every 2-3 weeks. It's very useful to me to stay "sharp" by way of writing something non-academic on a regular basis, but without something of a nudge, I won't do it.
I don't know shit about coding, even though I got a B+ in CompSci at Duke. Note to future Blue Devils: don't take Dietolf Ramm.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 10:38 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Ok folks, my fault. I keep saying I'm gonna do something with the front page and changes to the forum (chat room, too), but procrastination is so easy. Here is the call for help. What we need is a couple things.

1. The front page needs to be dynamic. Obviously it's not. I don't know if anyone of us even go there, I don't. I'd love to have some cool stuff like a calendar of events there, related to upcoming games and CT outings / get togethers. EarlJam had said he wanted to do a column, and I loved that idea. Basically, we need to give that page a different look and a purpose. I have the keys to the kingdom, so to speak, but need someone who is pretty good with code to take the reigns. I wish I had the time, but I don't. The site is heavy in MySQL/PHP, so knowledge helps.

2. The phpbb has a mod that we can utilize that adds a chat room. We can totally set up live chat for games, as well as any time use, similar to snrubchat, except that it is built directly into CTN instead of being a separate login. Once again, php knowledge is a must there. I'm way rusty on my coding and debugging, so it's been on my back burner in fear of my actions doing something horrible, like wiping everything out. #:-s

3. Content for the front page. Like I mentioned, EJ said he would love to do a column. Well, we would need more than one person writing, so anyone can help out there contributing. Photos from games will be most welcome and encouraged as well.

Respond here with what you would be willing or capable of doing. We can take our time with this, in fact we SHOULD take our time with this if we want it looking great. I'll do my best to relegate duties. Obviously some of you will need admin priveleges behind the scenes, just be aware that those priveleges come with responsibility, since you would have the power to wipe the whole site out. X(
- I'll draw squares within squares!!! :D
- I am rusty also Chris, but have the Computer Science background and Sys Engineering to quickly get back to speed. My concern is also time availability. But, I'm like a pitbull once I get started, I will keep working it until it is complete and functioning as expected.
- I will contribute and participate as much as I can.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 11:02 pm

I can help inasmuch as I have time. I don't do extensive PHP development, but I've done a number of PHP sites over the years, including implementing PHP/MySQL open source tools like Drupal, Mambo, ZenCart, etc. Most of my experience is taking out of the box PHP apps and extending and modifying them.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2009, 11:05 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I can help inasmuch as I have time. I don't do extensive PHP development, but I've done a number of PHP sites over the years, including implementing PHP/MySQL open source tools like Drupal, Mambo, ZenCart, etc. Most of my experience is taking out of the box PHP apps and extending and modifying them.
One of the great things about php/MySQL and this board software is that being opensource there is tons of help online. Someone has an answer for something not working. But having the experience ahead of time is great.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 17th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Count me in with the other php/mysql "developers". I've also got a designer/web programmer friend that owes me big time, so maybe he could get something going for the front page, including the dynamic bits and pieces. From there, maybe we could make the transition into maintenance mode.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 18th, 2009, 1:40 am

wilson wrote:I'd love to write some, maybe every 2-3 weeks. It's very useful to me to stay "sharp" by way of writing something non-academic on a regular basis, but without something of a nudge, I won't do it.
Same here. I would be more than happy to write if given the nudge. But what should we write about?

I don't know shit about coding

I'm betting I know even less than you.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 18th, 2009, 1:42 am

cl15876 wrote:
- I'll draw squares within squares!!!
Fuck that, your drawings suck :D
- I am rusty also Chris, but have the Computer Science background and Sys Engineering to quickly get back to speed. My concern is also time availability. But, I'm like a pitbull once I get started, I will keep working it until it is complete and functioning as expected.
You're hired ;)
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 18th, 2009, 1:52 am

In addition to the front page I was wondering if it might be an idea to have a couple of us write something up that would help get any newcomers up to speed fairly quickly so that they felt more part of the community (understanding inside jokes etc.). Maybe the two resident historians could collaborate and do this? Or is this a dumb idea?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2009, 7:14 am

colchar wrote:In addition to the front page I was wondering if it might be an idea to have a couple of us write something up that would help get any newcomers up to speed fairly quickly so that they felt more part of the community (understanding inside jokes etc.). Maybe the two resident historians could collaborate and do this? Or is this a dumb idea?
That's a great idea.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 18th, 2009, 10:40 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
colchar wrote:In addition to the front page I was wondering if it might be an idea to have a couple of us write something up that would help get any newcomers up to speed fairly quickly so that they felt more part of the community (understanding inside jokes etc.). Maybe the two resident historians could collaborate and do this? Or is this a dumb idea?
That's a great idea.

It is an excellent Idea!!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 18th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Alright, so we need to compile a history of CTN. Wilson, you up for it?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 18th, 2009, 4:43 pm

colchar wrote:Alright, so we need to compile a history of CTN. Wilson, you up for it?
All over it. I love it. Let's do this.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2009, 4:46 pm

wilson wrote:
colchar wrote:Alright, so we need to compile a history of CTN. Wilson, you up for it?
Make sure you remember our first CT board...that lasted all of about 2 days! (Still lotta posts for 2 days 8-| )
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 18th, 2009, 4:58 pm

wilson wrote:
Make sure you remember our first CT board...that lasted all of about 2 days! (Still lotta posts for 2 days 8-| )
I don't have any recollection of that board. Remember, I didn't sign up until about three weeks after this place was up and running. I had so thoroughly checked out on the DBArr! :ar! that I didn't know this place was in the works until Lavabe called me and told me to get my ass in gear already.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 18th, 2009, 7:18 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:"quote="colchar""Alright, so we need to compile a history of CTN. Wilson, you up for it?"/quote"
I don't have any recollection of that board. Remember, I didn't sign up until about three weeks after this place was up and running. I had so thoroughly checked out on the DBArr! :ar! that I didn't know this place was in the works until Lavabe called me and told me to get my ass in gear already.
CB&B - he obviously can follow instructions... give him a chance!!! I think he has potential, but Wilson, we will make you walk the plank if you fuck up all our posts! To be forewarned is to be armed and educated! :D :-bd
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 19th, 2009, 1:24 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote: Make sure you remember our first CT board...that lasted all of about 2 days! (Still lotta posts for 2 days 8-| )

I had already thought of that. By the way - I want my posts from that board to count towards my PWing here.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 19th, 2009, 3:21 pm

I'se awful ignurnt.
I are willin' to do what I kin ta help ye do wutever.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 19th, 2009, 4:42 pm

captmojo wrote:I'se awful ignurnt.
I are willin' to do what I kin ta help ye do wutever.
Ye can be the front page editor! =))
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 19th, 2009, 5:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: Ye can be the front page editor! =))
Dat'd be wunnerful. Hell, I cud even do it n vernacklur. :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"