Men getting in touch with the softer side

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Men getting in touch with the softer side

Post by DukeUsul » August 14th, 2009, 9:08 am

So, cl buncha made a comment about wanting to learn to knit. That made me think about the men on this board and if any of us are in touch with our "softer" side.

So does anyone have a hobby or skill that would stereotypically be considered a woman's skill or hobby? And I don't include things like cooking in this.... that hasn't been a stereotypically woman's job since a long time ago, at least not in my house.

Here goes mine. My mother taught me to cross stitch when I was 12. I can still do it, though I haven't in a while. I only cross stitched macho, manly things though, for example the time I did a Blackhawk helicopter.

Anyone else, or am I just setting myself up for ridicule here? :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
-- DukeUsul
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Men getting in touch with the softer side

Post by windsor » August 14th, 2009, 9:11 am

No ridicule. I can do count cross - haven't had time in a while (hmmmm something to do with my hands other than smoke....I see a plan forming)

How come if a guy does a traditionally female thing (knit, sew...etc) it is snicker snicker point point but if I, as a female, can fix a car (I can), do plumbing (that too), use power tools (the chop saw is MINE) its 'cool'.

Didn't former NFLer Rosie Grear (greer?) do needlepoint?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 14th, 2009, 9:15 am

windsor wrote:
Didn't former NFLer Rosie Grear (greer?) do needlepoint?
Yes, he did. Wussy! Just kidding, Rosie, just kidding. =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 14th, 2009, 9:16 am

I can sew, sorta. You know, put on buttons, repair small stitches in sleeves or hems.
I cry during sad movies.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 14th, 2009, 9:16 am

windsor wrote: Didn't former NFLer Rosie Grear (greer?) do needlepoint?
Sure did...on the Today Show.
As for me, my hobbies all involve breaking things and/or lighting them on fire. None of that sissy crap here. ;)
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 14th, 2009, 9:39 am

I learned to knit once. And promptly forgot how.
Class of 2014
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » August 14th, 2009, 10:09 am

I can crochet a little, as well as shoot a rabbit at about 40 yards. lol I am a well rounded kind of guy!
I can write poetry but at the same time hammer a nail into a 2x4 with three whacks of a hammer.
So I guess I am in touch with my "softer" side, it just knows it's place and when to surface and when to stay hidden! B-)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 14th, 2009, 10:17 am

knights68 wrote:I can crochet a little, as well as shoot a rabbit at about 40 yards. lol I am a well rounded kind of guy!
I can write poetry but at the same time hammer a nail into a 2x4 with three whacks of a hammer.
So I guess I am in touch with my "softer" side, it just knows it's place and when to surface and when to stay hidden! B-)
I can do a good bit of "handy" stuff, stemming in large part from my years of mission trip experience. If there's another person on site who really knows what they're doing, I'm a great #2. I'm good with all the various calculations & other mathematical things that come up in construction.
You all know how I feel about cooking, but I cannot and will not shoot a rabbit, nor anything else with fur. I might would shoot a bird someday, but I've never done it. I'm a decent fisherman.
I'd say I have few "softer" skills. My mother is a master seamstress, so she's always graciously taken care of that for me. I can't really think of what else might qualify as such these days. The one thing like that that I can do really well is iron. In all the years we've known each other, Charleston Girl has always had me iron her dresses and such.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 14th, 2009, 10:26 am

windsor wrote:How come if a guy does a traditionally female thing (knit, sew...etc) it is snicker snicker point point but if I, as a female, can fix a car (I can), do plumbing (that too), use power tools (the chop saw is MINE) its 'cool'.
If you can fix my car, you would have saved me $1250 this year.
If you can fix the plumbing around the house, you would have saved me $1480 this year.
If you can repair some furniture using some power tools, you would have saved me $600 this year.

Looking at it using a strictly cost/benefit analysis, I think if you can do all of that, you're not just "cool."
You're WAY cool. :-bd
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

I have pretty good touch with my sand wedge. Does that count? =)) =)) =))

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 3:07 pm

DukeUsul wrote:So, cl buncha made a comment about wanting to learn to knit. That made me think about the men on this board and if any of us are in touch with our "softer" side.

So does anyone have a hobby or skill that would stereotypically be considered a woman's skill or hobby? And I don't include things like cooking in this.... that hasn't been a stereotypically woman's job since a long time ago, at least not in my house.

Here goes mine. My mother taught me to cross stitch when I was 12. I can still do it, though I haven't in a while. I only cross stitched macho, manly things though, for example the time I did a Blackhawk helicopter.

Anyone else, or am I just setting myself up for ridicule here? :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
I think this is awesome. Although I typically do the manly kind of things (never enjoyed working on automobiles, because it got my hands greasy and dirty), but I love making things, especially with wood! Never got into metal, iron and the like, but could probably be pretty good at that also.

Let's see... besides wanting to learn to knit to make afghans (they can be so warm and beautiful), I can sew pretty good with or without a machine! Back in the home-eck days (I made shirts, down vest, football and basketball (stuffed toys) and things like that. Now they have sewing machines you can hook up to your computer (I think) and push a button and walla, you can have all kinds of fancy logos, embroidery and graphics applied to your garments or other apparel. I'd like to get one of those one day.

I am pretty good with my hands and would probably be good at sculpturing or pottery and making things with clay. My X didn't have a lot of any similiar interests and she got into pottery so I got her a wheel and a kiln, but she never let me play with it.

I know this may sound kind of strange, but all the years growing up, my mom would never let me wash clothes, so when I got out on my own, I loved doing my own laundry! It is okay today, but not as exciting the first years on my own, so liberating, but it is great when the last load is dry and all folded up nicely!!!

I'd love to do some quilting one day, that looks like alot of fun and I always remember this very old quilt my grandma made from Whiteville, NC and gave us and I loved that quilt, it was sooo warm!!!!

I used to cross stitch also and latch hook!

I don't think this is gender specific, but anyone remember the string art stuff -- you pound nails into wood and then make things like sail boats and flowers and so on. I used to love to do that.

I used to oil paint (by the numbers :ymblushing: NOTHING as brilliant as CB&B) and could free hand draw pretty darn good, guess that is where I got alot of my whiteboarding skills ... I can tear up a whiteboard and love it and love drawing pics of things to communicate processes, messages, themes, approaches, etc.....

I love playing board games and building puzzles.

I love music and I started to learn how to play the trumpet (but a baseball in the lip on 3rd base sort of ruined that start), so then I had a couple of years of piano lessons and wished I would have stuck with it. Basketball and Baseball eventually won over Satuday lessons on the piano.

I enjoy going to musicals/shows like "phantom of the opera" and broadway. Heck, when my lil sis used to dance, I actually got recruited to a drama club during a nutcracker performance and then became a Thesbian! That was a lot of fun acting out plays and doing all of the fund raising, lighting and stage setup! Pretty cool stuff.

That's all I can think of at the moment! Probably more will enter my mind later, but having been pretty self-sufficient and creative as a youngster thru adulthood, I have found that being able to do these things by oneself and/or especially with like minded friends or a partner is a lot of fun also!!!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 17th, 2009, 3:15 pm

cl15876 wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:So, cl buncha made a comment about wanting to learn to knit. That made me think about the men on this board and if any of us are in touch with our "softer" side.

I think this is awesome. Although I typically do the manly kind of things (never enjoyed working on automobiles, because it got my hands greasy and dirty), but I love making things, especially with wood! Never got into metal, iron and the like, but could probably be pretty good at that also.

Let's see... besides wanting to learn to knit to make afghans (they can be so warm and beautiful), I can sew pretty good with or without a machine! Back in the home-eck days (I made shirts, down vest, football and basketball (stuffed toys) and things like that. Now they have sewing machines you can hook up to your computer (I think) and push a button and walla, you can have all kinds of fancy logos, embroidery and graphics applied to your garments or other apparel. I'd like to get one of those one day.

I am pretty good with my hands and would probably be good at sculpturing or pottery and making things with clay. My X didn't have a lot of any similiar interests and she got into pottery so I got her a wheel and a kiln, but she never let me play with it.

I know this may sound kind of strange, but all the years growing up, my mom would never let me wash clothes, so when I got out on my own, I loved doing my own laundry! It is okay today, but not as exciting the first years on my own, so liberating, but it is great when the last load is dry and all folded up nicely!!!

I'd love to do some quilting one day, that looks like alot of fun and I always remember this very old quilt my grandma made from Whiteville, NC and gave us and I loved that quilt, it was sooo warm!!!!

I don't think this is gender specific, but anyone remember the string art stuff -- you pound nails into wood and then make things like sail boats and flowers and so on. I used to love to do that.

I used to oil paint (by the numbers :ymblushing: NOTHING as brilliant as CB&B) and could free hand draw pretty darn good, guess that is where I got alot of my whiteboarding skills ... I can tear up a whiteboard and love it and love drawing pics of things to communicate processes, messages, themes, approaches, etc.....

I love music and I started to learn how to play the trumpet (but a baseball in the lip on 3rd base sort of ruined that start), so then I had a couple of years of piano lessons and wished I would have stuck with it. Basketball and Baseball eventually won over Satuday lessons on the piano.

I enjoy going to musicals/shows like "phantom of the opera" and broadway. Heck, when my lil sis used to dance, I actually got recruited to a drama club during a nutcracker performance and then became a Thesbian! That was a lot of fun acting out plays and doing all of the fund raising, lighting and stage setup! Pretty cool stuff.

That's all I can think of at the moment! Probably more will enter my mind later, but having been pretty self-sufficient and creative as a youngster thru adulthood, I have found that being able to do these things by oneself and/or especially with like minded friends or a partner is a lot of fun also!!!
Did you copy this from a personals ad on the internet?

I kid of course.
I worship the Blue Devil!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 3:22 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
cl15876 wrote:

Did you copy this from a personals ad on the internet?

I kid of course.
#-o #-o #-o #-o Let the ridicule begin, that sure didn't take long!!! #-o #-o #-o #-o
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2009, 3:30 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Next time we get together for dinner here, feel free to do the laundry too! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2009, 4:52 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Next time we get together for dinner here, feel free to do the laundry too! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
We'll save a basket of dirty clothes for you, too... :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 17th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Nice, 8-x, for every "feminine" art you put in there, you included at least one "manly" art form. ;)

Me, I can do some of the manly ones, like fixing things around the house, but I'll stick to the ones actually asked for here:

I can latch hook, but I don't have the patience for it.

I can cross stitch, but I like the ones with the patterns painted on cause I don't have the patience to do all that counting.

I can make a mean sock pot holder with a jersey loop weaving loom. We have tons of them, they hold up well, and they work WAY better than most of the ones you can get at a store. And you can pick the colors. I have some cool Duke colored ones, and I made a VT one for Erica. You have to make sure to get the "bushier" sock loops though. The more "nylony", thin ones just shrink way down and don't keep the heat off very well.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2009, 6:56 pm

"I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra..." :oops: :roll: :)) =))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 6:58 pm

devildeac wrote:"I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra..." :oops: :roll: :)) =))
LOL - I'll be down this weekend and have some trees to chop up and cut down! Please bring your high heels and suspenders and bra and we'll have fun!!!! :D =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2009, 7:06 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:"I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra..." :oops: :roll: :)) =))
LOL - I'll be down this weekend and have some trees to chop up and cut down! Please bring your high heels and suspenders and bra and we'll have fun!!!! :D =)) =)) =)) =))
Oh,no, what have I started... :roll: =))
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 17th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Did anyone ever check out the softer side of Sears?

*Yes, I remember all kinds of ad campaigns from years past.