Moral Support Needed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Moral Support Needed

Post by windsor » August 7th, 2009, 8:33 am

Morning crazie talkers.

I'm going to need some moral support! I've smoked (yeah I know) since I was a Duke - back when cigarettes were cheaper than coke (meaning the soft drink of course :D ). I've quit a couple of time along the way but always went back. I'm on my third day taking Chantix (per the instructions I'm still smoking) the official toss the cigarettes day is 8/12. Lucky thus far I haven't had any side effects from Chantix (it made one of my co workers so sick she only lasted 3 days).

Yes, I know it is filthy nasty disgusting and bad for my health. If any of that made any damn difference I'd have quit for good years ago.

Smoking finally ran head long in to something I love to do - most of you know I run agility with my dogs (handler directs dog around obstacle course) My poodle is retired (he'll be 11 soon), he was an experienced dog, and I could handle him easily from 50-60 feet away so I didn't have to run all that much. Now I'm working with the young Lab, Jester....since he's not experience I have to run a lot further and stay closer to him. I can't do it (not without looking like a bass in the bottom of boat when I'm done :ymsick: ). It is either quit smoking or quit running agility. Agility wins.

When I want to ~x( ~x( or :(( :(( can I count on you guys for some encouragement?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: Moral Support Needed

Post by captmojo » August 7th, 2009, 8:42 am

Yes. You know the folks here will support you in any way possible. Count on it!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2009, 8:42 am

windsor wrote:Morning crazie talkers.

I'm going to need some moral support! I've smoked (yeah I know) since I was a Duke - back when cigarettes were cheaper than coke (meaning the soft drink of course :D ). I've quit a couple of time along the way but always went back. I'm on my third day taking Chantix (per the instructions I'm still smoking) the official toss the cigarettes day is 8/12. Lucky thus far I haven't had any side effects from Chantix (it made one of my co workers so sick she only lasted 3 days).

Yes, I know it is filthy nasty disgusting and bad for my health. If any of that made any damn difference I'd have quit for good years ago.

Smoking finally ran head long in to something I love to do - most of you know I run agility with my dogs (handler directs dog around obstacle course) My poodle is retired (he'll be 11 soon), he was an experienced dog, and I could handle him easily from 50-60 feet away so I didn't have to run all that much. Now I'm working with the young Lab, Jester....since he's not experience I have to run a lot further and stay closer to him. I can't do it (not without looking like a bass in the bottom of boat when I'm done :ymsick: ). It is either quit smoking or quit running agility. Agility wins.

When I want to ~x( ~x( or :(( :(( can I count on you guys for some encouragement?
1000%, windsor!! We got you covered!! \m/
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2009, 8:57 am

Absolutely! I'm here whenever you need me.

I really admire you for doing this and know you will be successful.

Let's go Windsor! clap, clap, clap, clap, clap
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 7th, 2009, 9:12 am

I'm here for you, also, Windsor. Anything I can do to help you through this, I will do. Congratulations on making the decision and good luck. I think Chantrix is what my brother used - successfully.
Life is good!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 7th, 2009, 9:27 am

Absolutely we're here for you Windsor.
-- DukeUsul
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 7th, 2009, 9:35 am

Quit smoking vibes to you, Windsor ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

And might I suggest a weekend trip to Boston, not only to visit BD, but to visit the Mad Russian. I have several friends that were lifelong smokers, who after a visit there and 2 hours with the Mad Russian about 6 years ago, quit cold turkey and haven't looked back since. One guy not only quit smoking, but he lost about 30 pounds, too! :-bd :-bd :-bd
http://www.epinions.com/content_2594676868
http://telepixtvcgi.warnerbros.com/dail ... 01_06a.htm
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=515244
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » August 7th, 2009, 9:43 am

windsor wrote:Morning crazie talkers.

Well, no one likes a quitter!

Just kidding. Vibes to you! Try the nicotine gum; it works wonders to get you off the smoking part - after a couple weeks the smell and taste of smoke will make you ill. From there the appeal of nicotine will wear off too.

Let me know if I can help!!! (I quit too in April. Occasional, becoming less occasional, smoker since Duke. Now I am DONE.)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 7th, 2009, 9:45 am

I've quit twice, the first was much easier than the second. I'm not going to find out how shitty a third time would be. I strongly suggest to go cold turkey. Any nicotine products, while easing the cravings, will torture the hell out of you. My wife quit cold turkey very soon after I did (she was pissed that I quit without her), and pretty much had the same experience as me. For the first two days, it's rough, and then gets much easier.
Regardless of how you do it, many vibes your way!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 7th, 2009, 9:51 am

Shammrog wrote: Well, no one likes a quitter!

Just kidding. Vibes to you! Try the nicotine gum; it works wonders to get you off the smoking part - after a couple weeks the smell and taste of smoke will make you ill. From there the appeal of nicotine will wear off too.

Let me know if I can help!!! (I quit too in April. Occasional, becoming less occasional, smoker since Duke. Now I am DONE.)
Good for you!

Chantix is supposed to block the areas of the brain that nicotine bonds to - which is why they tell you to keep smoking for the first week. Like many techniques it breaks the quitting process in to two distinct parts - the physical addiction to nicotine and habit of smoking. People I know have had great success with Chantix if they can take it - some people have constant :ymsick: on it. So far so good with me.

I'll give the nicotine gum a try (I've done the patch before) if it the Chantix fails (I've got a young fortune tied up in the stuff believe me!)

I'm happy to find an ex-smoker in the group - I know you'll 'get it' when I want to rip of someone's head X( :))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 7th, 2009, 9:54 am

I'm trying, again, to beat my addiction to Coke (the soda). I'll quit with you. Hope that helps! OK, 'quitting' to me means I can still have two Cokes a month. Is it possible to limit yourself to 2 cigarettes a month? Would that help you if you thought, I can have 2 this month, I'll save them for when I really need them? I know it helps me when I'm making that Coke/iced tea/water decision.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 7th, 2009, 10:01 am

Bostondevil wrote:I'm trying, again, to beat my addiction to Coke (the soda). I'll quit with you. Hope that helps! OK, 'quitting' to me means I can still have two Cokes a month. Is it possible to limit yourself to 2 cigarettes a month? Would that help you if you thought, I can have 2 this month, I'll save them for when I really need them? I know it helps me when I'm making that Coke/iced tea/water decision.
There are rare individuals (who I hate with the heat of a thousand suns) who can smoke the occassional cigarette and leave it at that. I am not one of those people. Usually, once you've quit having even one can be the kiss of death :ymdevil: because it leads to two then three...and you are right back on them (voice of experience). The catch phrase for smokers is N.O.P.E. (not one puff, ever).

You may have your two cokes a month if that is what will work for you. Coke may be a sugary chemical stew (I love coke by the way) but it won't kill you. Cigarettes will eventually kill me.

So quit buddy...is this your official 'quit day'?
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » August 7th, 2009, 10:06 am

windsor wrote:
Shammrog wrote: I'm happy to find an ex-smoker in the group - I know you'll 'get it' when I want to rip of someone's head X( :))
Well, yeah - but I am normally that way. Maybe nicotine withdrawal just makes it worse...
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 7th, 2009, 10:30 am

Add me to your support list! I quit 17 years ago on July 29, 1992. I used the patch. Stick with Chantix. I have prescribed it many times for patients and it works if you're lucky enough not to have side effects, as you are. As your smoking week progresses, you are right, the nicotine receptors are dying off. Think of the receptors like key holes and Chantix or Nicotine like keys. As you smoke, more receptors are created. What happens is that Chantix permanently blocks the receptors whereas nicotine only temporarily blocks them. When nictotine leaves the receptors, that's when we turn into "evil, demented, I'm going to kill a tarhole if I don't get a cigarette scarey people :twisted: The longer the receptors stay plugged, the sooner they shrivel up and go away :) .

Anyhoo, it can be done! Welcome to the non-smoker club!! I'm like you, I can't have an occasional cigarette. If possible, try to replace cigarettes with something healthy. But, the most important thing is to quit smoking, so one thing at a time. Good luck! You can do it!
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 7th, 2009, 10:43 am

I began smoking while at Duke and continued to smoke for more than 10 years after. Being married to a a near chain smoker (Marlboro and Bull Durham cigarettes) made it very hard to quit. He left for parts unknown and I learned self hypnosis.... have had great results and not smoked again for nearly 30 years. Because of the programming I could do for myself with self-hypnosis, I have absolutely no desire to smoke ever again...... don't even want to be where I can smell cigarettes.

Whatever method you use, the key element for success is in your mind. You can do it!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 7th, 2009, 11:03 am

DukePA wrote: that's when we turn into "evil, demented, I'm going to kill a tarhole..
You say that like it is a bad thing.

I see I'm not the only person who started smoking at Duke. I don't feel like quite so big a L-) now.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2009, 11:16 am

Bostondevil wrote:I'm trying, again, to beat my addiction to Coke (the soda). I'll quit with you. Hope that helps! OK, 'quitting' to me means I can still have two Cokes a month. Is it possible to limit yourself to 2 cigarettes a month? Would that help you if you thought, I can have 2 this month, I'll save them for when I really need them? I know it helps me when I'm making that Coke/iced tea/water decision.
Now that I am back in the US, I won't have more than two caffeine-laced beverages in a month. In Madagascar, Coke is a GREAT rehydration drink, but over here, it gives me the mad panics/anxiety attacks. I usually go to water and herbal teas/tisanes. I truly can't handle caffeine in this environment.

When I first dropped caffeine, I did it cold turkey. It was NOT that bad. Haven't regretted it one bit.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 7th, 2009, 11:30 am

I smoked too, but I started before I went to Duke, and I became a chimney during my days on campus. I quit in June of 1991 when I was pregnant with my first child. I kept visualizing a fetus smoking that cigarette, and that mad me quit cold turkey. To be honest, I've had a pack or two since quitting, mostly when drinking with my BFF. I'll admit it--I'm a backslider. I really liked smoking.

One of the methods I've used to stay away from cigarettes is to keep my teeth brushed or to chew on really minty gum. Having something minty in my mouth replaces the craving for the menthol.

Good luck in quitting, Windsor! It looks like you've got a lot of support around here.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
weezie
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by weezie » August 7th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Good luck Windsor. A friend said he received good advice and help from the American Lung Society.
Maybe you could try to squeeze in a yoga class a couple of times a week, too...deep breathing and all. %%-
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 7th, 2009, 4:15 pm

weezie wrote:Good luck Windsor. A friend said he received good advice and help from the American Lung Society.
Maybe you could try to squeeze in a yoga class a couple of times a week, too...deep breathing and all. %%-

Excellent ideas. I will check the American Lung site - I have a Wii fit which has some yoga on it, but I'll see what I can find in the way of class (harder to skip when you've plunked down $$ for class!)