Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Video Games

Post by wilson » August 4th, 2009, 10:54 pm

Germinating an oh-so-important new discussion from an LTE clipping:
ArkieDukie wrote:
DukePA wrote:stair climber for 30 minutes, hummus and pita, then wii for 45 minutes. I now have boxing on my wii fit and loooove "beating the shit" out of those I'm pissed at for the moment!!!!
I have the new EA Sports Personal Trainer for Wii. It's a pretty good mix of cardio and weight training.
I'm strongly considering one of these titles. How much do they run? Are they really that good of a workout? Does anybody have the balance board? How's Wii fit? What about the other balance board-compatible titles like the board sports selections? How many question marks in a row can I throw out? Should I stick all of this in a video game thread (we're kind of overdue for one of those)?
I think I should. That busts the streak at seven straight question marks.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Video Games

Post by DukePA » August 4th, 2009, 11:31 pm

wilson wrote:Germinating an oh-so-important new discussion from an LTE clipping:
ArkieDukie wrote:
DukePA wrote:stair climber for 30 minutes, hummus and pita, then wii for 45 minutes. I now have boxing on my wii fit and loooove "beating the shit" out of those I'm pissed at for the moment!!!!
I have the new EA Sports Personal Trainer for Wii. It's a pretty good mix of cardio and weight training.
I'm strongly considering one of these titles. How much do they run? Are they really that good of a workout? Does anybody have the balance board? How's Wii fit? What about the other balance board-compatible titles like the board sports selections? How many question marks in a row can I throw out? Should I stick all of this in a video game thread (we're kind of overdue for one of those)?
I love wii fit. I have the balance board and have discovered how weak my ankles are. You can run with wii fit if you want to, but it's not required and it's definitely not on the balance board. It has balance training (slalom skiing is my favorite), yoga, aerobics and strength training. I have a blast with it and the time flies.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » August 4th, 2009, 11:37 pm

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
It seems like the EA Sports was around $40. It's compatible with the Wii balance board, but you mostly just use the remote and nunchuck. Wii Fit is pretty good too, but it gets a bit boring after a while. The balance games are good, as are the yoga and strength training exercises. For cardio, though, I believe the EA Sports program is a bit better. It seriously kicked my butt on the moderate workout level. I had to stop before finishing. I've stuck with the low intensity workout since then, and the degree of difficulty is gradually increasing. I would imagine that the moderate intensity will be doable soon. As for the other balance board compatible titles, I havent' tried any of them. I'd also be interested in feedback from others who have tried them out.

BTW, the Wii balance board is not required for the EA Sports program. You can get a perfectly good workout without the board, in fact. If you want a good workout and are choosing between the two, go with EA Sports. Wii fit is more fun and games.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » August 5th, 2009, 9:51 am

wilson wrote:Germinating an oh-so-important new discussion from an LTE clipping:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Wilson - do you have a Wii?

I have a Wii.

Wii should Wii. I think you can Wii against each other online, too.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 9:55 am

Shammrog wrote:

I have a Wii.

I do have a Wii. Wii should definitely Wii. Wii've discussed this before, but Wii never got our act together. Wii'll have to wait until I get back to Atlanta at the end of this month and can get everything set up, but Wii'll make it happen.
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » August 5th, 2009, 10:03 am

wilson wrote:
Shammrog wrote:

I have a Wii.

I do have a Wii. Wii should definitely Wii. Wii've discussed this before, but Wii never got our act together. Wii'll have to wait until I get back to Atlanta at the end of this month and can get everything set up, but Wii'll make it happen.
And, I would of course love to meet in person. I have my Wii on a 60 inch TV in my unfinished basement. So, Wii can have lots of fun!

Do you know if Wii can also play online?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 10:18 am

Shammrog wrote:
Yes, Wii can. Wii just have to enter each other's console numbers into our own consoles. Wii will have to wait until Wii get a wireless network set up at my mom's, though...Shii still lives in the Dark Ages with regard to that.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2009, 12:17 pm

wilson wrote:
Shammrog wrote:
Yes, Wii can. Wii just have to enter each other's console numbers into our own consoles. Wii will have to wait until Wii get a wireless network set up at my mom's, though...Shii still lives in the Dark Ages with regard to that.
What do you guys play? I've had a lot of fun playing Mario Kart online. I'd be up for some online Wii action if you guys are.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » August 5th, 2009, 2:31 pm

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:
Shammrog wrote:
What do you guys play? I've had a lot of fun playing Mario Kart online. I'd be up for some online Wii action if you guys are.

%%-
Anytime, man! PM me your info/how to set up. I have Mario Kart, and a number of other games. Not sure offhand which exactly. Just got Sports Resort (very cool!).
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 2:44 pm

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:
Shammrog wrote:

%%-
The first time I ever touched a Wii, I asked, "When does Mario Kart come out?" Sure enough, it's awesome. Definitely my favorite on that console. Wii should play soon.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 5th, 2009, 10:06 pm

I don't have a Wii...I have an Xbox 360. I go outside to exercise. Unless it's snowing. Then I just shiver for warmth.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 10:30 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I don't have a Wii...I have an Xbox 360. I go outside to exercise. Unless it's snowing. Then I just shiver for warmth.
Understandable. But I didn't get my Wii for exercise purposes. I have always favored Nintendo products because they are generally geared toward a younger audience, and thus the learning curve is significantly gentler than for Xbox or PlayStation. I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to sit down and learn ten-button combos and shit like that. Give me cartoonish graphics and a game I can get pretty good at in a couple of days.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2009, 11:32 pm

I heard a new Zelda's coming to the Wii, as well as a new Metroid. I am SO psyched about that.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles

Post by Miles » August 5th, 2009, 11:34 pm

bjornolf wrote:I heard a new Zelda's coming to the Wii, as well as a new Metroid. I am SO psyched about that.

%%-
These are two titles that definitely make me consider purchasing a Wii.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 11:35 pm

bjornolf wrote:I heard a new Zelda's coming to the Wii, as well as a new Metroid. I am SO psyched about that.

%%-
I still haven't gotten around to Wii Zelda...not a ton of time to play (hell, I still haven't even finished Mario Galaxy). I'll need to try it eventually though.
I'm also eagerly anticipating Mario Golf (can't be too much longer, right?). And when the hell will they come to their senses and realize that Age of Empires or Civilization or something of that ilk would be perfect for Wii?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Miles wrote:

%%-
These are two titles that definitely make me consider purchasing a Wii.

Do it!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 1:04 pm

wilson wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I don't have a Wii...I have an Xbox 360. I go outside to exercise. Unless it's snowing. Then I just shiver for warmth.
Understandable. But I didn't get my Wii for exercise purposes. I have always favored Nintendo products because they are generally geared toward a younger audience, and thus the learning curve is significantly gentler than for Xbox or PlayStation. I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to sit down and learn ten-button combos and shit like that. Give me cartoonish graphics and a game I can get pretty good at in a couple of days.

I don't have the skillz to master all the combos. I usually play multi-player games and piggy back off my much younger cousin who does have the skillz.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2009, 1:36 pm

I don't play these, I just PW. :oops: :roll: :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2009, 1:56 pm

I don't play video games, but I would like to report on a video game, sort of.

The packers packed the empty game cube box. I found it in a box I opened this morning. I paid to move and store an empty game cube box.

I have no idea where the game cube is. Probably at ExLax's place in California.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 16th, 2009, 7:57 pm

CathyCA wrote:I don't play video games, but I would like to report on a video game, sort of.

The packers packed the empty game cube box. I found it in a box I opened this morning. I paid to move and store an empty game cube box.

I have no idea where the game cube is. Probably at ExLax's place in California.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Honey, maybe the game stop or game store -- whateva the name of that place is that all the kids know and probably some of the adults (Sham and Wilson and bjornolf come to mind), however, the mario karts sounds like fun over the internet!!! -- might take it coupled with the PS2 stuff and we can upgrade!!!!!