38%
9-12... we're in the BCS hunt!
No votes

Total votes: 8
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Time for predictions...

Post by bjornolf » April 13th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Cut's been great for us and we've seen a lot of improvements, but it's time to take the next step. Especially for those going to the spring game, where does the team stand for next season? Try to be honest and objective. I know we'd ALL LOVE the team to be in the 9-12 category, but I think we all know that's a little unrealistic. We've got:

Richmond
@Army
@Kansas
NCCU
VT
@NCSU
U of MD
@UVA
@UNC
GT
@The U
WFU

I think we can beat Richmond, Army, UVA, and maybe Wake. We always seem to have close ones with Wake, no matter how good they are. I think we have a shot in a couple of the other games too, depending on our momentum and how it plays out.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Time for predictions...

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2009, 3:21 pm

bjornolf wrote:Cut's been great for us and we've seen a lot of improvements, but it's time to take the next step. Especially for those going to the spring game, where does the team stand for next season? Try to be honest and objective. I know we'd ALL LOVE the team to be in the 9-12 category, but I think we all know that's a little unrealistic. We've got:

Richmond--WIN
@Army--WIN
@Kansas--WIN
NCCU--WIN
VT--LOSS--but this is going to be an interesting game. Obviously if we had an offense, we would have won at their house
@NCSU--LOSS ---
U of MD--WIN
@UVA--LOSS
@UNC--WIN
GT--LOSS
@The U--LOSS
WFU--WIN

I think we can beat Richmond, Army, UVA, and maybe Wake. We always seem to have close ones with Wake, no matter how good they are. I think we have a shot in a couple of the other games too, depending on our momentum and how it plays out.
Any of the losses I could really see us pulling out a win, depending on how healthy we are. I also think Wake, unc, and Maryland with be tough games. I'm not looking forward to going to UVA after what we did to them last year. Obviously by the end of the year they were a different team. I think we can take some credit for that.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 14th, 2009, 9:50 am

14 - 0, ACC and National Champions!. You expected me to predict otherwise? :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 14th, 2009, 10:00 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:14 - 0, ACC and National Champions!. You expected me to predict otherwise? :D
Ozzie, you are the paradigm of optimism.
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 14th, 2009, 10:10 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:14 - 0, ACC and National Champions!. You expected me to predict otherwise? :D
If you're right, I'll give you a free copy of my book.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 30th, 2009, 8:29 am

Sports Illustrated has released their top 25 after spring practices, and we have a few opponents on or near the list.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... l?bcnn=yes

5. Virginia Tech (playing at Duke, Oct. 3)

14. Georgia Tech (playing at Duke, Nov. 14)

26. Kansas (playing at Kansas, Sep. 19)

30. N.C. State (playing at State, Oct. 10)

I didn't realize that Kansas had a good enough team to earn mention, so that game will be great one to earn some respect.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » April 30th, 2009, 1:11 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Sports Illustrated has released their top 25 after spring practices, and we have a few opponents on or near the list.

I didn't realize that Kansas had a good enough team to earn mention, so that game will be great one to earn some respect.
Kansas has been very good the past few years (note: not great). Sorry, but I'd chalk that up as an L even before knowing they were top 30.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 30th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Sue71 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Sports Illustrated has released their top 25 after spring practices, and we have a few opponents on or near the list.

Kansas has been very good the past few years (note: not great). Sorry, but I'd chalk that up as an L even before knowing they were top 30.

I bet Cut won't...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 30th, 2009, 8:25 pm

I think 4-5 is reasonable. With that said, this is a very backloaded schedule and Duke could be 4-0 to start the year. Kansas will be tough, especially in Lawrence, but they aren't any better than teams that Duke played well against last year--WFU and Carolina and UVA, for example. Last year Duke played well with confidence at its side, so the value of a 4-0 start can't be overstated. I see three sure wins and confident that superior coaching can lead to another 2. Anything beyond that will be tough but is not beyond the realm of possibility.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 4th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Yeah, my sophomore year, '94-'95, the team started out 4-0 with a few cupcakes, but then rode the confidence to a 7-0 start before meeting FSU and getting spanked. We limped to I believe an 8-3 finish but then went to the Hall of Fame bowl to play Wisconsin (didn't end so well). But a good start against weaker competition can REALLY boost the confidence and help a team find a few wins they might not otherwise have gotten. That CAN'T be overlooked. Other years where we had FSU in the first few and got whacked early on we didn't end up with nearly as good a record. I realize, of course, that that's not the only factor, but it CAN be a major one.

That was the year that sparked the fun rumor about the football and basketball teams not being able to BOTH be good in the same year, since '94-'95 was a pretty dismal one for the BBall team.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 4th, 2009, 11:05 pm

I'm counting on them beating Kansas. If they don't, it won't be for lack of cheering from my seat in the stadium. Taking some other Duke fans with me.

LGD!
Life is good!