NASCAR Driving Experience/Andretti Driving School

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

NASCAR Driving Experience/Andretti Driving School

Post by devildeac » June 5th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Finally redeemed my 60th birthday/Father's Day gift from a couple years ago at Charlotte Motor Speedway yesterday. Exhilarating and frightening.

Arrived at about 1130, checked in and went to class for about 45 minutes about the what to do and what not to do and how to drive a racing machine on the CMS. Finally got in the car about 230 and spent 6 laps on the track for about 8 minutes with a top speed of 137.93 MPH. Alone except for almost constant radio contact with my spotter in the stands. Joy put it on my bucket list ( =)) ) and I proudly/happily/gratefully crossed it off shortly before 300.

If you've got anyone coming up with a milestone event, I strongly urge y'all to consider this, looking for specials/deals for several months before the occasion. Joy got mine for about 1/3 of the MSRP as a Father's Day special from the CMS website.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: NASCAR Driving Experience/Andretti Driving School

Post by YmoBeThere » June 5th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Sounds like fun. This is something I need to do.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 5th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Nice! Petty puts on one at Martinsville on occasion, but being a short track, there isn't the speed of Charlotte.

I guess we need to call you DareDevilDeac now. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 5th, 2016, 7:48 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Nice! Petty puts on one at Martinsville on occasion, but being a short track, there isn't the speed of Charlotte.

1. How far are you from Charlotte? 90 miles? Worth a day trip for you and/or the Rev ;) .

2. =)) =))
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 5th, 2016, 9:07 pm

devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Nice! Petty puts on one at Martinsville on occasion, but being a short track, there isn't the speed of Charlotte.

1. How far are you from Charlotte? 90 miles? Worth a day trip for you and/or the Rev ;) .

2. =)) =))
1. Yes, pretty much. My cousin did the Andretti experience and absolutely loved it.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » June 6th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Oh my. This is on my bucket list, but I think I would be more interested in a road course. I used to work with a guy who had a Porsche (I can't remember the model). It was street-legal, and he would drive it up to Summit, WV most weekends and race on the road track up there, and spent a week every summer at Watkins Glen. I have spent so many years getting 200,000 miles out of Consumer Reports-friendly cars that I feel confident my midlife crisis will involve some form of overpriced impractical automobile, rather than boats. It would be easy enough to see what they offer at Pocono (or Dover).
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 6th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Turk wrote:Oh my. This is on my bucket list, but I think I would be more interested in a road course. I used to work with a guy who had a Porsche (I can't remember the model). It was street-legal, and he would drive it up to Summit, WV most weekends and race on the road track up there, and spent a week every summer at Watkins Glen. I have spent so many years getting 200,000 miles out of Consumer Reports-friendly cars that I feel confident my midlife crisis will involve some form of overpriced impractical automobile, rather than boats. It would be easy enough to see what they offer at Pocono (or Dover).
Heh-heh. ;)

Good luck aging and knocking those buckets off the shelves.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 6th, 2016, 4:54 pm

My daughter gave this to her husband and he was thrilled with the entire thing. Reading all the releases he had to sign first was a bit unsettling, though. The list was as long as the warnings at the end of a prescription commercial! Glad you are safe and had such fun, Deac! :auto-car: :auto-checkeredflag:

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 6th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Turk wrote:Oh my. This is on my bucket list, but I think I would be more interested in a road course. I used to work with a guy who had a Porsche (I can't remember the model). It was street-legal, and he would drive it up to Summit, WV most weekends and race on the road track up there, and spent a week every summer at Watkins Glen. I have spent so many years getting 200,000 miles out of Consumer Reports-friendly cars that I feel confident my midlife crisis will involve some form of overpriced impractical automobile, rather than boats. It would be easy enough to see what they offer at Pocono (or Dover).
You might look into Virginia International Raceway, which is east of Danville on the VA-NC line. It's really cool and all kinds of cars race on it. I need to take a Mini up there sometime.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 7th, 2016, 6:25 am

Does this mean that we can expect you to participate in the NASCAR CrazieTalk Fantasy League? :)) =))

Seriously, way cool!! CONGRATS!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.