Vibes for my family

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Vibes for my family

Post by ArkieDukie » January 31st, 2016, 6:35 pm

As you know, I spent the past 2 weeks back home, helping take care of my mom. I felt like I was able to do a lot of good, especially the second week. I figured out several things that were making her anxious and uncomfortable, and worked to change the environment. Certain types of TV shows and commercials bothered her (violence, illness, loud noises), and my sister-in-law found something that kept her comfortable and happy: religious channels. I found a couple that she especially liked, and I switched back and forth between them. Also, we had been overfeeding her in the middle of the day, and it was causing her pain. She was having pain in general and we were not treating it. Since she cannot communicate, distinguishing pain and anxiety is a bit tricky. We're erring on the side of pain now, whereas before we were always treating it as anxiety. In general, she has been fairly comfortable for the past few days, and even had a couple of days where she was happy and peaceful all day.

I came back to the island yesterday, with the intention of working another 2 weeks and then heading back. Based on what my younger sister is saying now, I may need to head back sooner. Mom has stopped eating and, according to my sister, she's aware of what she's doing and is ready to go. They have asked her flat-out if she's ready to go and she beams. I am more than okay with this; frontotemporal dementia is evil and I'm ready for her suffering to stop. I think most of the family is on the same page here. I'm really feeling compelled to head back sooner rather than later in order to provide moral support for my dad (and my mom, too, to some extent). I told her good-bye before I left, and I think she said the same to me in her own way. My SIL, who is a nurse, says that next weekend will be soon enough, so that will be my latest target. With that being said, I'm going to be ready to drop everything and go sooner if I need to. I don't think I'll be able to concentrate much at work, but the distraction might be good for me. I'm going to move up as many things as I can and head out sooner rather than later. Please pray for us all, especially my dad, who has done a heroic job of taking care of her for the past several years.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Vibes for my family

Post by YmoBeThere » January 31st, 2016, 7:35 pm

My thoughts are with you in this difficult time, ArkieDukie.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 31st, 2016, 7:48 pm

Prayers for all of you during this difficult time, AD. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 31st, 2016, 7:56 pm

You and your entire family are in my thoughts.

I have walked that path with my grandmother and mother in law.
(Hugs)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » January 31st, 2016, 8:26 pm

Prayers for you and all of your family during these tough times :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 31st, 2016, 9:49 pm

So sorry to hear, vibing away. :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 31st, 2016, 11:59 pm

Hi AD. So sorry to hear about all this. Here's an article I just read that is so beautiful. I think it's what you will take some comfort in reading. I hope the link works or that you can copy and paste.

Everybody hug somebody!
Love, Ima

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-know-y ... profeta-md.
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 1st, 2016, 1:16 am

My heart aches for you, AD. You and your family remain in my prayers.
Life is good!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » February 1st, 2016, 4:49 am

You an your family are in my thoughts, AD.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » February 1st, 2016, 6:18 am

Keeping your whole family in my thoughts and prayers, AD.
:ymhug:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 1st, 2016, 6:35 am

May she go quickly, AD. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 1st, 2016, 7:26 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your mom and the family. Bless all of you, :ymhug:
DukePA

Post by DukePA » February 1st, 2016, 11:51 am

Much love, many hugs and tons of vibes to you and your family, AD Sis.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( :romance-heartsthree: )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 1st, 2016, 6:39 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Hi AD. So sorry to hear about all this. Here's an article I just read that is so beautiful. I think it's what you will take some comfort in reading. I hope the link works or that you can copy and paste.

Everybody hug somebody!
Love, Ima

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-know-y ... profeta-md.
Thanks for the link, Ima. Truly beautiful, and this is my family's philosophy. She's at home, and we're doing our best to keep her happy and comfortable.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 1st, 2016, 6:47 pm

Thanks, everyone! Your thoughts and prayers are truly appreciated. After I wrote my initial post, I learned that my sister-in-law is estimating that my mom has around 10 days left. She isn't eating or drinking any more. However, she is happy and comfortable. That's the best we can ask for. My younger sister posted pictures today on Facebook, and mom looks even better than she did when I left on Saturday. Dad has even commented on how much happier she has looked over the last few days. All in all, I'll take it.

I'm making arrangements to go back to AR on Saturday, and I can really leave earlier if needed. I'm so thankful that I was there for the last 2 weeks; I feel like I was able to contribute to her overall happiness/comfort at this point. It's really amazing what a change in TV channels and addition of pain meds will do.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 1st, 2016, 8:12 pm

If you haven't read Final Gifts http://maggiecallanan.com/finalgifts.htm I recommend it for anyone with a loved one that is facing the end of life. From a description of the book: "Filled with practical advice on responding to the requests of the dying and helping them prepare emotionally and spiritually for death, Final Gifts shows how we can help the dying person live fully to the very end."

From personal experience, I don't recommend reading it as you sit in the room with your loved one. It lead to a lot of crying for me but I'm very glad I read it.

Enjoy your days with your mother. It sounds like you gave her the gift of peace while you were there. :ymhug:
Life is good!
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » February 2nd, 2016, 9:06 am

Vibes, prayers, and kind thoughts to AD and the family.

On the book list, I read Atul Gawande's "Being Mortal" over the holidays. Ho ho ho. I recommend it also, although it deals more with medical intervention late in life rather than Altzheimers. But it also asks the question of how we really live at the end of our journey, and what we mean by "living."
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 2nd, 2016, 1:18 pm

All sorts of thoughts and vibes heading your way, Arkie!! :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 5th, 2016, 5:34 pm

My sister-in-law called last night to let me know that Mom's time is growing shorter. I did laundry and packed so I could leave early this morning. Just made it to the farm in AR. Mom is still with us but is fading.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 5th, 2016, 7:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My sister-in-law called last night to let me know that Mom's time is growing shorter. I did laundry and packed so I could leave early this morning. Just made it to the farm in AR. Mom is still with us but is fading.
AD, we love you and are with you in spirit. Prayers and vibes and many good thoughts and wishes.

Being there at the end is tough, but you will never regret it.
Iron Duke #1471997.