Parking Question

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Parking Question

Post by Bob Green » May 6th, 2014, 3:29 pm

I'm hearing parking assignments are being moved around partially due to construction of a parking deck in the 751 Lot. Will this change affect the General Parking lots? I'm thinking some of you who reside in the Triangle might possess inside information. It is never too early for logistics. Oh, that sounds catchy I should send it to UPS for their advertisements.

I always park in the Chemistry Lot for $10, which is really convenient.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Parking Question

Post by lawgrad91 » May 6th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Bob Green wrote:I'm hearing parking assignments are being moved around partially due to construction of a parking deck in the 751 Lot. Will this change affect the General Parking lots? I'm thinking some of you who reside in the Triangle might possess inside information. It is never too early for logistics. Oh, that sounds catchy I should send it to UPS for their advertisements.

The email I got said Iron Dukes will be taking over the Chem lot, replacing the 751 lot. We had the 751 lot for the last several years. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 6th, 2014, 4:09 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Bob Green wrote:I'm hearing parking assignments are being moved around partially due to construction of a parking deck in the 751 Lot. Will this change affect the General Parking lots? I'm thinking some of you who reside in the Triangle might possess inside information. It is never too early for logistics. Oh, that sounds catchy I should send it to UPS for their advertisements.

The email I got said Iron Dukes will be taking over the Chem lot, replacing the 751 lot. We had the 751 lot for the last several years. :9f:
Thanks for the info even though it is bad news. I suspected that would happen. :flame:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Damn....that's gonna make for a long walk from lord knows where. The chem lot was where I'd park on game days that I didn't borrow a pass. Damn you , Duke Football success!!!!
(Although...I do like the idea of a parking deck close to the stadium. If they are going to upgrade and fill the stands, it is needed.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » May 7th, 2014, 11:49 am

The Chemistry Lot and University Rd. Lot #1, across from the Alumni House (shuttle provided?) were added the the list of Iron Duke lots for 2014. Haven't seen anything yet regarding public parking. ;;)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 7th, 2014, 3:57 pm

I spoke with someone at the Iron Duke Office today. Public parking will still be the Chem lot for 10.00. :happy-bouncyblue:
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » May 7th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I spoke with someone at the Iron Duke Office today. Public parking will still be the Chem lot for 10.00. :happy-bouncyblue:
This is going to be a very interesting situation. All the information sent out for Iron Dukes to purchase parking passes now lists the Chem Lot as an Iron Duke lot. (In addition to all the changes and possible reassignments, Iron Dukes will be paying a fee to have a parking pass this year.)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 7th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I spoke with someone at the Iron Duke Office today. Public parking will still be the Chem lot for 10.00. :happy-bouncyblue:
This is going to be a very interesting situation. All the information sent out for Iron Dukes to purchase parking passes now lists the Chem Lot as an Iron Duke lot. (In addition to all the changes and possible reassignments, Iron Dukes will be paying a fee to have a parking pass this year.)
I don't like it either. The lady also said it will probably be the same for basketball. I am sure the price of the tickets have gone up but I don't remember what they were last year. BB goes up every year.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 7th, 2014, 11:37 pm

For the counterpoint: When I was a chem grad student, we were expected to work LONG hours - including weekends. I would assume that has not changed. We had a difficult time parking by the building on game days because the lot was used for public parking. It was annoying to not be able to park even though we were expected to be there to work. We had to get there E A R L Y (before the people collecting $$) in order to park on game days, even if we had purchased passes for the lot. Full disclosure: I usually worked up until game time and then went back for a while after the game, so in a way I was using the lot for game day parking. Many times the lot was not full at all, but we were still given grief if we needed to park in order to go to work.

We had the exact same problem when I worked at the Health Dept. Our building was across the street from War Memorial (where the Hogs play when the games are in Little Rock), and our parking lot was one of the paid lots for public parking. There were a very limited number of special passes handed out to Health Dept people, and I didn't have one. Annoyingly, they went to higher-ups who just happened to have football tickets. Lord forbid someone actually have to WORK during the game. If there was any sort of problem in the lab, we were hosed because the special pass was required to get anywhere near the building. There was at least one Thursday night game during my time there, and it was a nightmare. Imagine trying to get to work and having your parking spaces blocked by tailgaters...
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2014, 1:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:There was at least one Thursday night game during my time there, and it was a nightmare. Imagine trying to get to work and having your parking spaces blocked by tailgaters...
Guess what happens this year? :D :9f:
Native
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Native » May 8th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Duke should've foregone the construction to the Union and Perkins and instead just built a big-assed, twenty-story parking deck somewhere.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » May 8th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Native wrote:Duke should've foregone the construction to the Union and Perkins and instead just built a big-assed, twenty-story parking deck somewhere.
I'm sure such a thing could be designed with sufficient Gothic elements so that it would fit into the existing style on West. The flying buttresses might present a bit of a challenge, but could be worthy of some sort of award once finished. ;;)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 9th, 2014, 8:25 am

Native wrote:Duke should've foregone the construction to the Union and Perkins and instead just built a big-assed, twenty-story parking deck somewhere.
I'm sure such a thing could be designed with sufficient Gothic elements so that it would fit into the existing style on West. The flying buttresses might present a bit of a challenge, but could be worthy of some sort of award once finished. ;;)
How about a 700 car deck in the 751 lot at Science Drive across from the golf course! It'll take 2 years to complete. :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 9th, 2014, 11:17 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
How about a 700 car deck in the 751 lot at Science Drive across from the golf course! It'll take 2 years to complete. :9f:
I would prefer to see a big deck for those of us who work here on Flowers Drive.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 9th, 2014, 11:33 am

Those parking decks should have been built years ago!!!!!!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 16th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Discussion over at The Devils Den indicates the 751 Lot will be available in 2014 after all. It appears construction of the new parking deck is delayed. Hopefully this means I can park in the Chemistry Lot for $10 like previous years.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 16th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Bob Green wrote:Discussion over at The Devils Den indicates the 751 Lot will be available in 2014 after all. It appears construction of the new parking deck is delayed. Hopefully this means I can park in the Chemistry Lot for $10 like previous years.
Crossing fingers. It is much easier to move my car to the Card lot to pack up from the chem lot than it will be from 751, in fact that would most likely be impossible. When they start the post game traffic pattern, all traffic is directed away from the stadium, so there is no way to make it back.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 17th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Bob Green wrote:Discussion over at The Devils Den indicates the 751 Lot will be available in 2014 after all. It appears construction of the new parking deck is delayed. Hopefully this means I can park in the Chemistry Lot for $10 like previous years.
Iron Dukes sent out an email yesterday with news that the 751 lot will be available. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » May 17th, 2014, 9:24 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Iron Dukes sent out an email yesterday with news that the 751 lot will be available. :9f:
In addition, there will be another opportunity for those who have already chosen their parking lot to make a change.

The parking garage construction project was one of the changes triggering the restructuring of parking assignments for the football season. Now that project appears to be postponed. I feel sorry for the folks in the Iron Duke office who worked hard to try to make the best of the changes only to have to apologize for the dust up and start the process over again. ;;)