2014 Schedule

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

2014 Schedule

Post by Bob Green » January 22nd, 2014, 6:21 am

Word on the street is the ACC will release the 2014 schedule at 3 pm today. Info is starting to leak out so here is what we know so far:

Aug 30: Elon
Sep 6: @ Troy
Sep 13: Kansas
Sep 20: Tulane

Nov 20 (Thursday): Carolina

Obviously this is unofficial but in the spirit of modernism it is better to be first than right so I'm throwing it up now. I'll post the entire schedule later today, or whenever it actually is released so this thread can become the "predict Duke's wins and losses" and general discussion thread. I'll start the general discussion with two points:

1. At least three of our first four games are at home (hopefully Sep 27 is an away game) so our schedule will be front loaded with winnable games at home.

2. The timing of our bye weeks is critical. Last season we had byes the week prior to two winnable home games against Navy and NC State. I hope the schedule is kind to us again in 2014.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2014 Schedule

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 22nd, 2014, 8:12 am

Bob Green wrote:

1. At least three of our first four games are at home (hopefully Sep 27 is an away game) so our schedule will be front loaded with winnable games at home.
I hate the schedule that has us at home so much in September, for two reasons. One is that I would rather spread the away games out a bit so we don't have a stretch of away games to match it. I would rather have a balanced schedule, which I think would be more beneficial for the team as well. The second point is that by the time October hits, I'm exhausted from tailgating, and very much looking forward to a break. I'd rather have a week to be in the parking lot followed by a week on the couch. Plus, as we all know, Walllace Wade is murderous in September, so unless those are all night games, get ready to enjoy your heat stroke.
Love the idea of a Thursday game; I'll be very interested to see how Duke parking handles a big game during a work/school week. Will students still be in session on the 20th? If not, that causes even MORE parking problems, since they dedicate one or two lots for them to leave their cars in.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 22nd, 2014, 12:15 pm

Bob Green wrote:

Latest rumor:

Nov 29: Wake Forest

So that means two home games, four away games and two bye weeks between Tulane and Carolina. I agree with CB&B, home and away every other week would be best.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » January 22nd, 2014, 2:25 pm

I can say I've never been this excited for a schedule release! If this team returns everyone that it should, I believe we will be favored in at least 8 of the 12 regular season games. Having home games against UNC, UVA, Wake, and VT gives us four very winnable home ACC games. I believe Duke should be the preseason favorite in the Coastal Division if the team is healthy and has a full roster heading into the fall.

Mr. Green, you have got me very excited for the possible Thursday night game against Carolina. I really hope it happens. If your rumors are correct, this will be the biggest home game in Duke football history. A Thursday night game at 7:30 on ESPN, and a chance to win the Victory Bell for the third straight year. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

Really excited for this schedule to come out, and I agree that the placement of the bye weeks is huge. I could argue that the bye weeks this past season were one of the biggest factors in Duke having the season that they did.

GO DUKE!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 22nd, 2014, 3:16 pm

Aug. 30: ELON
Sept. 6: at Troy
Sept. 13: KANSAS
Sept. 20: TULANE
Sept. 27: at Miami
Oct. 4: OPEN
Oct. 11: at Georgia Tech
Oct. 18: VIRGINIA
Oct. 25: OPEN
Nov. 1: at Pitt
Nov. 8: at Syracuse
Nov. 15: VIRGINIA TECH
Nov. 20: NORTH CAROLINA (Thursday, ESPN)
Nov. 29: WAKE FOREST
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 22nd, 2014, 3:17 pm

Sources said Tuesday that the nationally televised ESPN game will be played on Nov. 20, a Thursday night, only the second time Duke has played an ACC game on a weeknight and the first time at home.
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke/x3 ... night-game :happy-bouncyblue:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 22nd, 2014, 3:22 pm

Aug. 30: ELON -- Win
Sept. 6: at Troy -- Win
Sept. 13: KANSAS -- Win
Sept. 20: TULANE -- Win
Sept. 27: at Miami -- Toss up/leaning to loss side
Oct. 11: at Georgia Tech -- Toss up/leaning to win side
Oct. 18: VIRGINIA --Win
Nov. 1: at Pitt -- Win....we will want this victory badly
Nov. 8: at Syracuse -- Close win, excellent road test
Nov. 15: VIRGINIA TECH -- Win
Nov. 20: NORTH CAROLINA (Thursday, ESPN) -- Win
Nov. 29: WAKE FOREST -- Win

Final record (regular season 11 - 1) once again playing in the ACC CG)
This is of course assuming we have an amazingly healthy year like we did this year.
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » January 22nd, 2014, 3:39 pm

What an AMAZING schedule for our boys this year!!! Once again, if the team is healthy and everyone returns, there is no reason why they can't win 10 or 11 games once again.

I think the bye weeks are placed pretty well. I saw that a lot of teams have a bye after their second or third game. That doesn't really benefit anything so I really like that our first bye week doesn't come until after week 5.

The only thing that scares me is the 4 game stretch near the end of the season. At Pitt, At Cuse, VT, and then UNC on short rest. Playing a very physical VT team and then only having three days to prepare for UNC really scares me. I think it is going to be tough to win both of those games, but our luck against UNC has been amazing these past two years. This is my version of the schedule and results, and these are my VERY early predictions if everyone on the roster is healthy...

Sept. 20: TULANE -- Win
Sept. 27: at Miami -- Loss, we were lucky that Duke Johnson did not play against us last year. That will not be the case this season.
Oct. 11: at Georgia Tech -- Win
Oct. 18: VIRGINIA -- Win
Nov. 1: at Pitt -- Toss up, I'm leaning towards a WIN with a bye week to prepare. Don't expect our defense to perform as terrible as last year.
Nov. 8: at Syracuse -- Close game, leaning towards a LOSS Syracuse will be tough next year.
Nov. 15: VIRGINIA TECH -- Win -- will be very close
Nov. 20: NORTH CAROLINA (Thursday, ESPN) -- Win, short week to prepare, but we have had their number as of late. Our D is better than their O.
Nov. 29: WAKE FOREST -- Win

That would give us a 10-2 record and 6-2 in the conference just like this past season. I think that will be good enough to put us back in the ACC Championship with a rematch against FSU.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 23rd, 2014, 6:35 am

Spring Practice and Spring Game:

There is lots of discussion over on The Devil's Den that Spring Practice starts February 7 with the Spring Game being on March 1. That seems really early to me; I guess they should rename it the Winter Game seeing as Spring does not arrive until March 20.

Can anyone confirm these dates?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 23rd, 2014, 8:31 am

Bob Green wrote:Spring Practice and Spring Game:

There is lots of discussion over on The Devil's Den that Spring Practice starts February 7 with the Spring Game being on March 1. That seems really early to me; I guess they should rename it the Winter Game seeing as Spring does not arrive until March 20.

If that is the true date, at least it doesn't conflict with a basketball game. I understood why we played the game so early when we weren't bowling, but not so much now. Here are the dates last year, so we are playing a full month earlier. Hmmm? I am wondering if someone has an entire month wrong.
Bob Green wrote:According to The Devils Den:

March 4, 6, 8, 20, 22, 23, 25, 27, 29

April 1, 3, 8, 10, 12, 13*

*- Spring Game
The previous year (2012) practice started on Feb 22, in 2011 it was Feb 16.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 23rd, 2014, 8:53 am

Bob Green wrote:Spring Practice and Spring Game:

The dates are accurate. Spring Scrimmage on March 1 was being promoted frequently at the last home basketball game when the football team was honored at halftime. ;;)
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 23rd, 2014, 1:52 pm

What a schedule!!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 23rd, 2014, 2:38 pm

Athlon's take...
The defending division champs don’t have as tough a trip back to the title game as fellow division contenders Georgia Tech, Miami or North Carolina have. Duke gets two easier crossover games with Wake Forest and Syracuse and will host Virginia Tech and North Carolina late in the year (Weeks 12-13). The non-conference schedule should be four wins and the off weekends are well placed after five games and just before November. First half road trips to Miami and Georgia Tech — with a bye week in between — will likely decide if the Devils return to the ACC title game. Two sneaky road trips to start November to Pitt and Cuse could cause problems but both come after a bye weekend. There is a lot to like about this schedule for Duke but also plenty of speed bumps for a team that lost four games last season.

Best Non-Conference Game: Kansas (Sept. 13)
Crossover Games: at Syracuse (Nov. 8), Wake Forest (Nov. 29)
Upset Alert: at Syracuse (Nov. 8)
Must-Win: North Carolina (Nov. 20)
http://athlonsports.com/2014-acc-footba ... 4gJfg.dpuf
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » January 23rd, 2014, 5:26 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Athlon's take...
The defending division champs don’t have as tough a trip back to the title game as fellow division contenders Georgia Tech, Miami or North Carolina have. Duke gets two easier crossover games with Wake Forest and Syracuse and will host Virginia Tech and North Carolina late in the year (Weeks 12-13). The non-conference schedule should be four wins and the off weekends are well placed after five games and just before November. First half road trips to Miami and Georgia Tech — with a bye week in between — will likely decide if the Devils return to the ACC title game. Two sneaky road trips to start November to Pitt and Cuse could cause problems but both come after a bye weekend. There is a lot to like about this schedule for Duke but also plenty of speed bumps for a team that lost four games last season.

Best Non-Conference Game: Kansas (Sept. 13)
Crossover Games: at Syracuse (Nov. 8), Wake Forest (Nov. 29)
Upset Alert: at Syracuse (Nov. 8)
Must-Win: North Carolina (Nov. 20)
http://athlonsports.com/2014-acc-footba ... 4gJfg.dpuf

Athlon and a few other observation articles I read gave us the easiest schedule in the conference. I would agree with that seeing we do not play any seriously challenging non-conference games and we avoid FSU, Clemson, and Louisville. Having a home game against Wake, who I think will be the worst team in the conference, is a nice touch as well.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 23rd, 2014, 6:27 pm

Waiting for Ozzie's reply...

:whistle: :whistle:

:-w :-w
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » January 23rd, 2014, 10:43 pm

Already prediction time!

Sept. 20: TULANE -- Win - will be tougher than expected, but we'll get the job done
Sept. 27: at Miami -- Toss up/leaning to loss side - Duke Johnson's injury is not one that's guaranteed to be fully healed by Sept. 27th. I doubt his work load will be the same this year...but they recruit well, someone will fill those playmaker shoes. Not necessarily as a RB, but none the less...a playmaker will surface by 9/27. Much of this game will depend on the new QB and how he develops. We'll put up points...but I question our D-Line's ability to stop Miami and put pressure on the qb. tough game, but I suspect a loss here.
Oct. 11: at Georgia Tech -- Toss up/leaning to win side - They lose Attachou and Vad Lee - that's too much. Ga Tech will have their worst season to date. But, GaTech has been a nemesis of ours as we really have only come close to beating them once. Honestly though, I don't think Paul Johnson Makes it another year.
Oct. 18: VIRGINIA --Win --but I'm always hesitant with Va because of the growing talent pool and London did beat us with Richmond players....O'Brien is a good Offensive coach. I can't see how they don't get better. Still, we've only lost once to Va since Cut took over...
Nov. 1: at Pitt -- win - With an open date, you'd like to think we could pull in a W, but that will be hard. They lose Aaron Donald, an absolute monster on the d-line, but scoring on them wasn't the problem. We may still struggle to keep them from scoring. Our youngest unit will be the D-line and I think that's really going to start to show in November. 50-50...i'm optimistic, so I'll take the win.
Nov. 8: at Syracuse -- Close loss, our D-line gets worn down. Our best chance is to jump out to a big lead and try to get them to start throwing the ball.
Nov. 15: VIRGINIA TECH -- Win - yeeeah, something is wrong in Tech land, they've lost some punch to their offense and now they don't have Logan. The qb who replaced him in the bowl didn't do very well either.
Nov. 20: NORTH CAROLINA (Thursday, ESPN) -- loss, I think our D will get be similar to this past year. Opportunistic. But North Carolina's best recruit is a RB who looks great for their system. Pair him with Williams and they become very dangerous. This should be a great game with a lot of scoring. I think the 3rd quarter will decide the game. It'll look like a close 4th quarter game, but the team forced to become one dimensional in the 4th will lose. Play calling will hurt us in this game. I really think this is a 50-50 game like Pitt. I took the win earlier, so that's why I'm thinking we could lose. Ironically though, I think winning at Pitt increases your chance of a win here. But...same thing with losing to Pitt.
Nov. 29: WAKE FOREST -- Win - Could be worse team in league next year, but new coaches are generally wild cards. Sometimes they switch a play here and there and throw a junk scheme people have trouble with...the ole curve ball that no one anticipates...Auburn. Still, doubt it. They lose a most of what made them good. They are starting from scratch. Should be a big win.

This is kinda how I see it playing out, but really, we could hit a rough patch and struggle. Let's say you lose to Miami straight up and you get some play calling growing pains against GaTech or a bad turnover...both. Now you go into Pitt having lost 2 of 3. Pitt's WR make big play after big play early and they get a lead, but this year...our D-line can't stop the run, so we can't catch up. Now we've got 3 of 4 losses and Syracuse pounds you with their ground game. Tech sees blood and the downward spiral and plays inspired on offense. UNC wants revenge and sees a down spirited team. Then we're playing for our bowl life against Wake. I don't think that'll happen, but it is possible. I doubt it, but it can happen. On a hugely positive note, this grim set up still has us getting to another bowl.

regular season - I really think we finish with 8-9 wins. 6 wins unlikely, but possible. 7 wins would feel like a step back, but really not bad. 8 wins would still kinda stink, but you'd take it with the idea recruits will continue to get better. Anything more than 8 wins is gold. 2015, our defense will be better, but we'll lose Wake and start getting tougher Atlantic division foes.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 24th, 2014, 8:24 am

The Football Fan wrote: Nov. 15: VIRGINIA TECH -- Win - yeeeah, something is wrong in Tech land, they've lost some punch to their offense and now they don't have Logan. The qb who replaced him in the bowl didn't do very well either.
If he plays during the season like he played in that bowl game, we'll be playing against his backup. I bet there is some stiff competition in the spring and summer in Blacksburg.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 24th, 2014, 1:20 pm

I'm glad that FSU and Clemson aren't on our schedule.

ACC Football will be competitive.

Our boys need to stay healthy and get stronger and faster!!! Go Duke! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » April 13th, 2014, 7:09 am

Here is a report on Carolina's Spring Game:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/12/ ... p=/99/103/

It's never too early to scout the sheep!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 13th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Bob Green wrote:Here is a report on Carolina's Spring Game:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/12/ ... p=/99/103/

It's never too early to sacrifice the sheep!
Fixed it for you, Bob. ;;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.