Life is good.

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Life is good.

Post by wilson » July 19th, 2009, 9:28 pm

Like, really good. Here I stand at basically the midpoint of my first month of real research, and it pretty much couldn't be going any better, both in terms of how well it's unfolding in an academic sense and in terms of how much I'm enjoying it. On top of that, I'm in a beautiful, historic city that has genuinely spiritual pull for me. I've been having a lot of fun in the city, and spending some seriously good time in the company of friends both new and old.
I just got back from 48 hours in my true home, with a crew of the people who are closest to me in life, having gone to one of my favorite places in the world (Turner Field) to celebrate a genuinely momentous occasion. Everywhere I went, people wanted to know "how it's going," so I got to repeatedly say that it's pretty much been perfect.
I'm so excited about the next 5-6 weeks of research that I can't stand it, and to use a somewhat hackneyed phrase, I've "fallen in love all over again" with my profession (I think I already said this in my research thread, but hell, it still stands).
Those who know me best will tell you I'm an inveterate sentimentalist, and to that effect, I'm one to really celebrate times like this (I will also be commemorating this time in my life with a new tattoo in 2 weeks). It's amazing to feel the start of really big, exciting, fulfilling things in one's life, and I think that we should all take note of these moments in our own lives and give thanks in whatever way we think appropriate.
Just wanted to share.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Life is good.

Post by wilson » July 19th, 2009, 9:29 pm

wilson wrote:Like, really good. Here I stand at basically the midpoint of my first month of real research, and it pretty much couldn't be going any better, both in terms of how well it's unfolding in an academic sense and in terms of how much I'm enjoying it. On top of that, I'm in a beautiful, historic city that has genuinely spiritual pull for me. I've been having a lot of fun in the city, and spending some seriously good time in the company of friends both new and old.
I just got back from 48 hours in my true home, with a crew of the people who are closest to me in life, having gone to one of my favorite places in the world (Turner Field) to celebrate a genuinely momentous occasion. Everywhere I went, people wanted to know "how it's going," so I got to repeatedly say that it's pretty much been perfect.
I'm so excited about the next 5-6 weeks of research that I can't stand it, and to use a somewhat hackneyed phrase, I've "fallen in love all over again" with my profession (I think I already said this in my research thread, but hell, it still stands).
Those who know me best will tell you I'm an inveterate sentimentalist, and to that effect, I'm one to really celebrate times like this (I will also be commemorating this time in my life with a new tattoo in 2 weeks). It's amazing to feel the start of really big, exciting, fulfilling things in one's life, and I think that we should all take note of these moments in our own lives and give thanks in whatever way we think appropriate.
Just wanted to share.
And no, I'm not even a little bit drunk.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 19th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Thanks for sharing.

I agree that LIFE IS GOOD. I just spent a week with some of the youth from our church. We traveled to Minneapolis for a mission trip. We joined youth groups from various states to work with a variety of organizations to serve the community. My crew of 5 teens spent Mon - Thurs at a soup kitchen. We would help prepare the meals and then serve around 200 people each day. It was a joy to watch the kids interact with the staff of the facility and the public that came through the food line. So often we only hear bad news about teens. I just want to report that 90+ teens and adults spent their vacation as week 5 in a 7 week Camp Workgroup project. There are great kids out there and that news needs to be shared.

Thanks for letting me brag about the kids.
Life is good!
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 19th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Thanks, Wilson, for starting this thread and sharing your good fortunes.

You too, DinK - Kudos for helping those teens grow personally and spiritually; it sounds as if benefitting from the experience as well.

I was just remarking to my husband this afternoon, as we sat on the back porch enjoying some beautiful weather and admiring some completed yardwork, that life seems pretty darned good these days. We're both happy professionally, our marriage is in a good place, we love our home and have some exciting plans to improve it over the next couple of years. Any one of these things is worth celebrating, but the fact that all are lined up, and have been for awhile, is something extra special and it just makes me happy to recognize and appreciate it. Yup, Life is good.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 19th, 2009, 10:37 pm

WOW! This is nice to read.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 19th, 2009, 11:17 pm

You can't believe how well my life is going these days. I close on my house on Thursday. And I'll celebrate this weekend with my board babes at the beach. On Sunday I'll see my guy for the first time in 2 MONTHS. Next Tuesday, my furniture and stuff arrives--16 months to the day after I last saw it.

I second your emotion. Life is good.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » July 19th, 2009, 11:31 pm

I couldn't agree more! Life is indeed very good. Despite the fact that I'm unemployed, I am so happy. Six and a half years ago was the low point of my life. My uncle had died, my mother-in-law was dying with brain cancer, my scumbag husband left me for a cheating slut and my son was threatened by skinheads. I thought, "what do I really want?" I knew I needed to move back home to NC, finish my undergrad degree, become a Physician Assitant, work in Oncology and live at the beach. I managed to do all of that and meet a great guy (despite the fact that he's a tarhole :(. Although I'm not working at the moment and will likely not continue in Oncology, I am so content. I have 6 leads on great potential new jobs, my house is clean now that I have the energy to clean again and my Duke girls will either be here in person or in spirit this weekend.

YEE HAA!!!! LIFE ROCKS!!!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 20th, 2009, 1:24 am

Oh, I forgot to mention - my brother and sister-in-law had their second baby, a little girl, last Tuesday. :) I'll get to see her when I go back in September, to celebrate my grandma's 100th birthday. :)

Family is good, too.
fullSalute.jpg
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 20th, 2009, 1:37 am

Thanks Wilson, and I agree. Life is good. This has been a great weekend.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 20th, 2009, 2:21 am

Life is good, but CrazieTalk ROCKS!! \m/ \m/ \m/
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » July 20th, 2009, 9:38 am

Wilson comes to Atlanta, and doesn't tell Shammrog.

I am hurt.
knights68

Post by knights68 » July 20th, 2009, 1:29 pm

wilson wrote:Like, really good. .
8-) Good to hear, but I gotta caution ya. Be vewy vewy careful! The fates may be listening. Dang pests! :lol:
Miles

Post by Miles » July 20th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Feels like I have been gone so long, have so much to say. But right now, I'm happy to echo wilson's sentiment: life is good.
sMiles
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » July 20th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Miles wrote:Feels like I have been gone so long, have so much to say. But right now, I'm happy to echo wilson's sentiment: life is good.
Me too. For us, it's watching the young Turks - they are sprouting like weeds. From time to time, we get compliments like "oh, your kids are great, we love having them at <fill in the blank>." My standard thinking is "I can't explain it - I am as bewildered as you are. It's like trying to take credit for the days getting longer in the summer." Right now, we are free from so many big worries that plague other families, like broken homes, medical problems, day care, and all the rest. Our burden is light and our gratitude is deep...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » July 20th, 2009, 6:10 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention - my brother and sister-in-law had their second baby, a little girl, last Tuesday. :) I'll get to see her when I go back in September, to celebrate my grandma's 100th birthday. :)

Family is good, too.
fullSalute.jpg
Very precious! Your sister-in-law and brother make a pretty baby! :-bd
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 21st, 2009, 9:10 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention - my brother and sister-in-law had their second baby, a little girl, last Tuesday. :) I'll get to see her when I go back in September, to celebrate my grandma's 100th birthday. :)

Family is good, too.
fullSalute.jpg
What a cutie! Congrats.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 21st, 2009, 10:52 am

Shammrog wrote:Wilson comes to Atlanta, and doesn't tell Shammrog.

I am hurt.
I was there for less than 48 hours.
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » July 21st, 2009, 11:12 am

wilson wrote:
Shammrog wrote:Wilson comes to Atlanta, and doesn't tell Shammrog.

I am hurt.
I was there for less than 48 hours.
It's ok, Wilson. I am at peace - or, as much as I can be - with how little I mean to you... :cry:
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » July 21st, 2009, 7:25 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:Like, really good. Here I stand at basically the midpoint of my first month of real research, and it pretty much couldn't be going any better, both in terms of how well it's unfolding in an academic sense and in terms of how much I'm enjoying it. On top of that, I'm in a beautiful, historic city that has genuinely spiritual pull for me. I've been having a lot of fun in the city, and spending some seriously good time in the company of friends both new and old.
Just wanted to share.
And no, I'm not even a little bit drunk.
This is GREAT to hear! Get "drunk" on the experience. I'm catching up here and will continue to read this thread but here's wishing you the VERY BEST Wilson. You're a good looking guy, young (but not too young) on the research journey of, well, I won't say a lifetime as I wish you many more; but you're on one hell of an excursion. Embrace it. Eat it up. Not that I need to tell you that.

Hopefully the Braves will make the wildcard (they are playing better - Prado just scored as I type this) and we can take in some playoff games.

Here's to you friend.

Cheers,

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » July 21st, 2009, 7:38 pm

I had never heard of this term before: an inveterate sentimentalist.

But Wilson, thanks for sharing. I must say I am the same way. I try as hard as I can to take NOTHNING for granted when things are going well, but I admittedly struggle more than those I know (or at least am more comfortable showing it without wearing it on my sleeve 24/7 when times suck. Many take this as being selfish. Maybe it is, but it certainly isn't meant to be at all).

It's been a while, but I went to Europe in the 90s on a WWII studies trip. Not a minutes went by (unless I was asleep) where I didn't totally appreciate every moment. The friends made, the places of such historic value visitied. I know your studies are at a higher level, more "in-depth," but I feel in some small way I can appreciate how your mind, as you read papers, letters that are centuries old takes control and puts you in the same room with the people that penned them; so curious to ask them many questions.

Amazing stuff man. Can't wait to catch up.

Best,

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.