Sharks aren't the only toothy animals in NC's oceans.

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Sharks aren't the only toothy animals in NC's oceans.

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 16th, 2009, 11:43 am

This came from a volunteer with the local Emerald Isle Turtle Watch program for the beaches…
gator.jpg
a 2.5 ft. alligator came out of the surf this morning at the 8700 Block at Ocean View....this is west of the pier. Animal Control took it away to relocate it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this one was at Wrightsville...
gator1.jpg
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Sharks aren't the only toothy animals in NC's oceans.

Post by CathyCA » July 16th, 2009, 12:14 pm

How far away was that alligator from Donna's house?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 16th, 2009, 12:28 pm

CathyCA wrote:How far away was that alligator from Donna's house?
Not far enough!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 16th, 2009, 1:31 pm

How far was that beast from the wren's house at my back door? 8-x :-?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » July 16th, 2009, 1:48 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Not far enough!
No worries the little bugger was 4 miles from my place. The newspaper had a picture of it yesterday surrounded by people and it was actually quite cute! I've yet to see an alligator here in real life.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 16th, 2009, 2:00 pm

DukePA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Not far enough!
No worries the little bugger was 4 miles from my place. The newspaper had a picture of it yesterday surrounded by people and it was actually quite cute! I've yet to see an alligator here in real life.
He was only 2.5 feet, I think we could take him down with minimal damage to our cute selves.
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 16th, 2009, 2:17 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
DukePA wrote:
He was only 2.5 feet, I think we could take him down with minimal damage to our cute selves.
Um, Tilly, I'd take the alligator in that fight. Please don't challenge an alligator! He's got much sharper teeth than you do :)

OZZIE4DUKE
Full Time Student at PWing school

A devil of a post on my part!

OH! This is interesting. I cut out a "quote" to stay within the three quote limit in my original post, and then without thinking quoted my paste on my number of posts, and the system allowed the fourth use of quotes! A loop hole, or a change in system parameters? Inquiring minds want to know! Coach K - any thoughts?

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 16th, 2009, 2:24 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
DukePA wrote:No worries the little bugger was 4 miles from my place. The newspaper had a picture of it yesterday surrounded by people and it was actually quite cute! I've yet to see an alligator here in real life.
Um, Tilly, I'd take the alligator in that fight. Please don't challenge an alligator! He's got much sharper teeth than you do :)

OZZIE4DUKE

A devil of a post on my part!

OH! This is interesting. I cut out a "quote" to stay within the three quote limit in my original post, and then without thinking quoted my paste on my number of posts, and the system allowed the fourth use of quotes! A loop hole, or a change in system parameters? Inquiring minds want to know! Coach K - any thoughts?
Birth of a hacker. Fitting for post 666.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 16th, 2009, 3:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:This came from a volunteer with the local Emerald Isle Turtle Watch program for the beaches…
gator.jpg
a 2.5 ft. alligator came out of the surf this morning at the 8700 Block at Ocean View....this is west of the pier. Animal Control took it away to relocate it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this one was at Wrightsville...
gator1.jpg
OMG - that is very strange! I was thinking that they were normally freshwater and brakish water occupants and the internet verified it for me: ...

"Wikipedia - Although primarily freshwater animals, alligators will occasionally venture into brackish water.[9] Alligators live in wetlands and this is the vital habitat that holds the key to their continued long-term survival. Alligators depend on the wetlands, and in some ways the wetlands depend on them. As apex predators, they help control the population of rodents and other animals that might overtax the marshland vegetation."

Wonder if the ocean is changing it's content ... The other day, one of my FB friends indicated that he had a pod of porpoises way up the river around his boat where I caught a mess of fish last weekend which was kind of strange also.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 16th, 2009, 3:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Um, Tilly, I'd take the alligator in that fight. Please don't challenge an alligator! He's got much sharper teeth than you do :)

You've never seen really pissed, and I don't mean drunk. I'm not a mean drunk. But, when I'm pissed, my adrenalin is coursing through my veins and even Mike Tyson doesn't scare me. I'll just take a bite out of his arm. Wouldn't try to bite the lil alligator, his skin is too tough.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 16th, 2009, 3:50 pm

cl15876 wrote: Wonder if the ocean is changing it's content ... The other day, one of my FB friends indicated that he had a pod of porpoises way up the river around his boat where I caught a mess of fish last weekend which was kind of strange also.
There are many rivers and streams which feed into ocean along the banks, and the sounds are pretty brackish. This gator probably came in on the White Oak river which is at the end of Emerald Isle. I've not seen any, but here in Morehead there are some creeks on the northern boundary of town which have them, and it's a just a couple miles to swim before you hit the ocean. (One of my clients has a house on one of those creeks, and she told us of seeing gators sunbathing in her front yard. This was after she told us she had a little dog that went missing and had no idea where it went. Duh.)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 16th, 2009, 3:54 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Um, Tilly, I'd take the alligator in that fight. Please don't challenge an alligator! He's got much sharper teeth than you do :)

You've never seen really pissed, and I don't mean drunk. I'm not a mean drunk. But, when I'm pissed, my adrenalin is coursing through my veins and even Mike Tyson doesn't scare me. I'll just take a bite out of his arm. Wouldn't try to bite the lil alligator, his skin is too tough.
So in addition to MikeEEEE and Marv Albert, you go for the ears and back? Oh no, I will remember to not get YOU upset!!!! :))
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 16th, 2009, 4:07 pm

cl15876 wrote:So in addition to MikeEEEE and Marv Albert, you go for the ears and back? Oh no, I will remember to not get YOU upset!!!! :))
I'll bite anything I can get my teeth on. It's a great defense mechanism.

Don't attack me physically, and I won't bite. Promise. ;) ;)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 16th, 2009, 4:11 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
cl15876 wrote:So in addition to MikeEEEE and Marv Albert, you go for the ears and back? Oh no, I will remember to not get YOU upset!!!! :))

K68 - you paying attention here? =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) (read into those =)) what you want! :D )

cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 16th, 2009, 4:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
cl15876 wrote: Wonder if the ocean is changing it's content ... The other day, one of my FB friends indicated that he had a pod of porpoises way up the river around his boat where I caught a mess of fish last weekend which was kind of strange also.
There are many rivers and streams which feed into ocean along the banks, and the sounds are pretty brackish. This gator probably came in on the White Oak river which is at the end of Emerald Isle. I've not seen any, but here in Morehead there are some creeks on the northern boundary of town which have them, and it's a just a couple miles to swim before you hit the ocean. (One of my clients has a house on one of those creeks, and she told us of seeing gators sunbathing in her front yard. This was after she told us she had a little dog that went missing and had no idea where it went. Duh.)
I remember being down that way at the Fort with my beloved! I loved it and now that you mention it, remember two sides not too far apart between ocean and sound so I could see how that could happen! As much as I love walking along the beach and enjoying the peace and serenity, I can't imagine walking along the beach and seeing a lil alligator washing up! What an experience that must have been for those that experienced!!!! I remember being down at Kiwa island in SC (many years ago) and seeing them everywhere on a jeep safari... I unlike Oz and Tillie, am not ready to tangle with them!!!! =)) =)) =))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 16th, 2009, 4:16 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

K68 - you paying attention here? =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) (read into those =)) what you want! :D )
K68 - if you EVER need to chat ... just call! :D :D :D =)) =)) =)) =))
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 16th, 2009, 6:55 pm

That does it! :shock: I'm gonna just keep hangin' with the snakes in Hyco Lake, bless their hearts.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukePA

Post by DukePA » July 16th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:That does it! :shock: I'm gonna just keep hangin' with the snakes in Hyco Lake, bless their hearts.

Love, Ima
Don't worry, Ima. If you visit Emerald Isle, Ezmarellda will protect you from those pesky gators. Cross my heart :D !!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 16th, 2009, 8:30 pm

DukePA wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:That does it! :shock: I'm gonna just keep hangin' with the snakes in Hyco Lake, bless their hearts.

Love, Ima
Don't worry, Ima. If you visit Emerald Isle, Ezmarellda will protect you from those pesky gators. Cross my heart :D !!
Sounds like a promise to ME! OKay, just waiting for invite! :ymdaydream: :-h O:-) 1 day :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
DukePA

Post by DukePA » July 16th, 2009, 10:33 pm

cl15876 wrote:
DukePA wrote:

Love, Ima
Sounds like a promise to ME! OKay, just waiting for invite! :ymdaydream: :-h O:-) 1 day :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
Silly boy! You and your lovely lady have an open invite as do all my Crazie friends!