Olympic Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Olympic Thread

Post by Lavabe » July 1st, 2012, 10:07 pm

I know it's a bit early for the summer Olympics, but the trials are going on for a number of sports.

Of all the weird stuff, I find myself watching the women's gymnastics trials, rooting for Nastia Liukin to make the team, but she has made HUGE falls. On night 1, on the uneven bars, she fell on her back. Tonight (night 2), she fell front&face first. Seriously, I just hope she is okay. I imagine it will make it on to YouTube sometime soon. Wow.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Olympic Thread

Post by YmoBeThere » July 1st, 2012, 10:15 pm

Actually, it feels kind of late to me to be having qualifying. But then, I don't pay as much attention to the qualifying as I do the actual thing.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 1st, 2012, 10:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:I know it's a bit early for the summer Olympics, but the trials are going on for a number of sports.

Of all the weird stuff, I find myself watching the women's gymnastics trials, rooting for Nastia Liukin to make the team, but she has made HUGE falls. On night 1, on the uneven bars, she fell on her back. Tonight (night 2), she fell front&face first. Seriously, I just hope she is okay. I imagine it will make it on to YouTube sometime soon. Wow.
Tonight ended Nastia's gymnastics career - it was her farewell performance. That fall off the uneven bars was, well, nasty, but she got up, brushed herself off and finished her routine like the champion she is.

I watch gymnastics and swimming and track and ... for a couple of weeks every four years, and not in between. It's nice when that time comes around! :happy-bouncyblue:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 1st, 2012, 11:05 pm

Lavabe wrote:I know it's a bit early for the summer Olympics, but the trials are going on for a number of sports.

Call me cranky, but I've been rooting for Nastia to NOT make the team. The reason? My niece had the opportunity to meet several gymnasts, including Nastia and Shawn Johnson. Shawn was nice to all the kids. Nastia, not so much. Apparently she thought she was just a little bit too superior to converse with preteen fans. :Boo: karma is a bitch, Nastia.

The current crop of gymnasts has a lot of talent, and they should be the favorites for the gold. Gabby Douglas and Jordyn Wieber are amazing. Ali Raisman isn't too shabby, either.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 1st, 2012, 11:16 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Tonight ended Nastia's gymnastics career - it was her farewell performance. That fall off the uneven bars was, well, nasty, but she got up, brushed herself off and finished her routine like the champion she is.

I watch gymnastics and swimming and track and ... for a couple of weeks every four years, and not in between. It's nice when that time comes around! :happy-bouncyblue:
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she was actually concussed.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 2nd, 2012, 10:09 am

ArkieDukie wrote:

Call me cranky, but I've been rooting for Nastia to NOT make the team. The reason? My niece had the opportunity to meet several gymnasts, including Nastia and Shawn Johnson. Shawn was nice to all the kids. Nastia, not so much. Apparently she thought she was just a little bit too superior to converse with preteen fans. :Boo: karma is a bitch, Nastia.

The current crop of gymnasts has a lot of talent, and they should be the favorites for the gold. Gabby Douglas and Jordyn Wieber are amazing. Ali Raisman isn't too shabby, either.

I watched some of the Gymnastic trials last night. Nastia did not make the Olympic team. When you fall on your back, instead of your feet......... You are done! Little girls Gabby and Jordyn were awesome!

Go TEAM USA!!!!! **== **== **== **== **==
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 2nd, 2012, 12:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My niece had the opportunity to meet several gymnasts, including Nastia and Shawn Johnson. Shawn was nice to all the kids. Nastia, not so much.
Nasty Nastia?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 2nd, 2012, 12:20 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I watch gymnastics and swimming and track and ... for a couple of weeks every four years, and not in between. It's nice when that time comes around! :happy-bouncyblue:
Ditto.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 2nd, 2012, 12:47 pm

The thing that puzzles me regarding the falls is what the spotter does. I thought the spotter was supposed to do something that prevents this sort of fall.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 2nd, 2012, 2:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:My niece had the opportunity to meet several gymnasts, including Nastia and Shawn Johnson. Shawn was nice to all the kids. Nastia, not so much.
Nasty Nastia?
Last Olympics, I had a terrible time getting her name straight for my mother. She kept calling her "Nasty Aleutian."
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 2nd, 2012, 7:14 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Nasty Nastia?
Last Olympics, I had a terrible time getting her name straight for my mother. She kept calling her "Nasty Aleutian."
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Pretty close to right - at least, that was the case shortly after the last Olympics.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Oh-Lympics!!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2012, 8:03 am

Yay!! It's time for the Olympics, so it's time for a thread! What time do the opening ceremonies air here? Obviously if they are in prime time we'll be watching on a delay.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Oh-Lympics!!

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 27th, 2012, 8:19 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Yay!! It's time for the Olympics, so it's time for a thread! What time do the opening ceremonies air here? Obviously if they are in prime time we'll be watching on a delay.
Prime time, all evening, until we're sick of it! B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 27th, 2012, 9:05 am

I'm very excited about watching the women's swimming team compete. Lauren Perdue of Greenville is on the 4 x 200 freestyle relay team. Lauren and her family go to my church. Her grandmother sang in the choir with me. She swims on August 1. We will be glued to the TV and will be cheering for Lauren.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2012, 9:13 am

CathyCA wrote:I'm very excited about watching the women's swimming team compete. Lauren Perdue of Greenville is on the 4 x 200 freestyle relay team. Lauren and her family go to my church. Her grandmother sang in the choir with me. She swims on August 1. We will be glued to the TV and will be cheering for Lauren.

:9f:
Go Lauren!! :flags-usa: :flags-waveusa: :occasion-olympics:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 27th, 2012, 9:24 am

I think swimming is my favorite event --- especially relays! Go Lauren!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 27th, 2012, 9:26 am

I like events where participants clearly win or lose rather than given medals according to judges' opinions. ;;)
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2012, 9:31 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I think swimming is my favorite event --- especially relays! Go Lauren!
Love, Ima
It's funny how the olympics can make an event that I usually don't care about really interesting due to the high level of competition. Gymnastics is a good example (and ice skating in the winter). I think that applies to just about everything except for the equestrian stuff. I don't care what country the rich people on their million dollar horses are from, they bore me to tears.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 27th, 2012, 9:52 am

Bump from page 2.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 27th, 2012, 10:00 am

During my stay-cation a few weeks ago, I realized I picked the wrong week to take off this summer. I should have taken next week or the week after off so I could watch the Olympics.

Opening ceremonies start tonight at 7:30 eastern time zone and end at midnightish, could go over who knows. When I set the DVR the other night I received a note asking if I wanted to extend the recording time because it was a live event. Of course I noted I did, but realized later that there is no way it will be live as London is 5 hours ahead of us meaning the opening ceremonies would start at 12:30 am London time. I don't think so.
I worship the Blue Devil!