Gas prices

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Gas prices

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 27th, 2012, 10:59 pm

I bought gas Monday in Burlington for 2.96, on the 145 exit. :) The most expensive I saw on my trip to Kenansville was 3.25. That was just off I-40 on the Kenansville bypass. In town it was 3.13. Go figure.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Gas prices

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 28th, 2012, 8:15 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:I bought gas Monday in Burlington for 2.96, on the 145 exit. :) The most expensive I saw on my trip to Kenansville was 3.25. That was just off I-40 on the Kenansville bypass. In town it was 3.13. Go figure.
That stretch in Burlington on 40/85 always has some of the cheapest prices in the state, it's lucky you live so close to it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 28th, 2012, 8:28 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:I bought gas Monday in Burlington for 2.96, on the 145 exit. :) The most expensive I saw on my trip to Kenansville was 3.25. That was just off I-40 on the Kenansville bypass. In town it was 3.13. Go figure.
One more reason to move to NC! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 28th, 2012, 8:44 am

IowaDevil wrote:
One more reason to move to NC! :)
Actually we are the highest taxed state in the southeast. How enjoyable it is to pumping gas and to look at the little map of all the regional taxes and see how much more we are paying per gallon than our neighbors. Grrr. X(
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 28th, 2012, 8:57 am

Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » June 28th, 2012, 9:10 am

At least some of the gas taxes go toward maintaining the roads, so the rest of the comparison gas prices state by state is what sort of condition a state's roads are in. I'll take the higher tax at the pumps in exchange for fewer potholes.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 28th, 2012, 9:16 am

Here's the GasBuddy link for Smithfield, but you can put in any zip code or town across the country to get your local gas prices. It will come as no surprise to you that I post as GTHc :D :9f:
http://www.northcarolinagasprices.com/i ... Smithfield
Gas prices in Ft. Lauderdale are in the upper $3.20's.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 28th, 2012, 9:16 am

I will never complain about the high price of gas in North Carolina. That's because four years ago, I was paying $4.25 per gallon for regular unleaded gas in California.

Gas is a bargain in North Carolina, as far as I'm concerned.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 28th, 2012, 9:48 am

CathyCA wrote:I will never complain about the high price of gas in North Carolina. That's because four years ago, I was paying $4.25 per gallon for regular unleaded gas in California.

The lowest price within decent driving distance on my daily commute just dropped to $3.63. It's been hovering between $4.18-$4.30 for most of the past 6 months. I find it hard to complain about our gas taxes considering we don't have a state income tax, but I'm astounded to learn that CA's gas taxes are even higher.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 28th, 2012, 10:11 am

Gas just across the line in VA is $2.88. In Collinsville, near the courthouse, it's $2.85.

Patrick the Audi drinks super unleaded, so it costs me extra. :auto-layrubber: :auto-rally:

Virginia would be better served, frankly, with a few cents extra of gas tax. NC DOT runs circles around VA DOT, and the roads are 1000x better south of the border.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » June 28th, 2012, 10:41 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Gas just across the line in VA is $2.88. In Collinsville, near the courthouse, it's $2.85.

Patrick the Audi drinks super unleaded, so it costs me extra. :auto-layrubber: :auto-rally:

Virginia would be better served, frankly, with a few cents extra of gas tax. NC DOT runs circles around VA DOT, and the roads are 1000x better south of the border.
In so many ways, you get what you pay for.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 28th, 2012, 12:56 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I will never complain about the high price of gas in North Carolina. That's because four years ago, I was paying $4.25 per gallon for regular unleaded gas in California.

The lowest price within decent driving distance on my daily commute just dropped to $3.63. It's been hovering between $4.18-$4.30 for most of the past 6 months. I find it hard to complain about our gas taxes considering we don't have a state income tax, but I'm astounded to learn that CA's gas taxes are even higher.
CA's gas prices are higher not because of the gas taxes, necessarily, but because of the particular formulation of the gasoline to prevent air pollution. For whatever reason (taxes or environmental) gasoline prices in the SF bay area are among the highest in the country. I remember in 2000 when an airplane ran off the runway at the Burbank airport and barely missed hitting a gas station. There was a picture in the paper of the plane and the scene of the accident, but what riled so many people in San Jose was the gasoline sign indicated that gas was cheaper in Burbank than it was in San Jose.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 28th, 2012, 1:42 pm

CathyCA wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:

CA's gas prices are higher not because of the gas taxes, necessarily, but because of the particular formulation of the gasoline to prevent air pollution. For whatever reason (taxes or environmental) gasoline prices in the SF bay area are among the highest in the country. I remember in 2000 when an airplane ran off the runway at the Burbank airport and barely missed hitting a gas station. There was a picture in the paper of the plane and the scene of the accident, but what riled so many people in San Jose was the gasoline sign indicated that gas was cheaper in Burbank than it was in San Jose.

If I had to fill up an airplane I'd go looking for the cheapest gas too!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm

AvGas is considerably more expensive than automotive fuel, mostly due to taxes.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:At least some of the gas taxes go toward maintaining the roads, so the rest of the comparison gas prices state by state is what sort of condition a state's roads are in. I'll take the higher tax at the pumps in exchange for fewer potholes.
I am not convinced we have some of the best maintained roads in the nation.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Dukediv2013/12/11 filled up yesterday for 2.90 in Burlington, NC. Happy we will be visiting there Sunday to celebrate Mrs. DD's parents 60th anniversary :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » June 28th, 2012, 11:20 pm

devildeac wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:At least some of the gas taxes go toward maintaining the roads, so the rest of the comparison gas prices state by state is what sort of condition a state's roads are in. I'll take the higher tax at the pumps in exchange for fewer potholes.
I didn't say they were the best maintained. Our roads are in better shape than many states though. Our road signage is pretty good. Some state cut corners by putting up a minimal amount of signage to provide information about distances between points, announce the availability of services (gas, food, lodging, etc.).
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 29th, 2012, 7:49 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I didn't say they were the best maintained. Our roads are in better shape than many states though. Our road signage is pretty good. Some state cut corners by putting up a minimal amount of signage to provide information about distances between points, announce the availability of services (gas, food, lodging, etc.).
Like Virginia, for example. The Commonwealth tends to skimp on signage, and when the weather's bad, they do a horrible job of keeping the roads passable. On my commute, I have seen potholes form at the same time in each state on a major thoroughfare. NC has them fixed within a day or so, and they are relatively smooth. VA waits sometimes up to a month and doesn't bother with making the repair even remotely flush with the roadbed.

I am convinced that all the road $$ in VA goes to NoVa, Richmond, and Tidewater, but one would think that major highways in the western part of the state ought to get a little love.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 30th, 2012, 11:02 am

I paid $3.05 in Alamance County yesterday. That was the going price for reg unleaded at all the large stations and truck stops. Still much cheaper than 3.30.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 30th, 2012, 11:38 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:I paid $3.05 in Alamance County yesterday. That was the going price for reg unleaded at all the large stations and truck stops. Still much cheaper than 3.30.
That must have been around Mebane. Exit 145 in Burlington is the best place I've seen for gas prices.