Traveling to Canada

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Traveling to Canada

Post by ArkieDukie » May 16th, 2012, 8:44 pm

I'm leaving on Friday for a professional meeting in Vancouver. Yippee!

I have a few questions about traveling to Canada, and I suspect that someone here will know the answer. The biggie is regarding currency. Will it complicate matters if I pay with a debit or card, or do things get converted automatically by the bank? Should I get lots of cash (Canadian $) instead? I'm used to being able to pay with my debit card when I attend a conference, and the whole currency conversion issue just occurred to me a day or so ago. Yeah, I'm a bit slow sometimes.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Traveling to Canada

Post by lawgrad91 » May 16th, 2012, 8:48 pm

When I was in Vancouver a couple of years ago, most everyone took USD. At that time, the Canadian dollar was worth a little more than the USD. I think that has changed so that the USD is worth a tiny bit more than the Canadian dollar. What we didn't pay for with cash, we used Visa or Amex, and there wasn't any problem and it didn't cost us any extra.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » May 16th, 2012, 8:55 pm

I've used a credit card with no difficulties. The currency is converted from Canadian to USD for you. Be sure to check your receipts against your statement to insure that the conversion matches up properly. It's more common when using a credit card in Europe, but this could happen in Canada..... When the conversion actually takes place could make a difference in what you end up paying. (Changing rates and delayed conversions being the issue here) Where you exchange your USD for Canadian dollars can make a difference as well. Banks generally give a better exchange rate than stores, for example. Some merchants will charge a lower price if you pay in Canadian.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 16th, 2012, 10:29 pm

You'll like Vancouver. It's a pretty city.

ExLax goes there on business quite a bit and he has taken Christian up to Whistler--in the summer! If you get the opportunity to go to Whistler, do it! The scenery is gorgeous.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 16th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Bring an extra tire. And have fun!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » May 17th, 2012, 12:28 am

Don't forget your passport!!! Hope you have some time to get out and see the city - I bet the Butchart Gardens are lovely in bloom right about now.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 17th, 2012, 8:20 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Don't forget your passport!!! Hope you have some time to get out and see the city - I bet the Butchart Gardens are lovely in bloom right about now.
Oooh, Butchart Gardens. Been there twice. Stunning beauty. Spend a few hours in the city of Victoria if you can, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » May 17th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Spent a week in Victoria last year for work. Was in Vancouver years ago and hope to return someday.

Use your plastic extensively, the CAN to USD conversion will be automatic and it should be easy to report your expenses. As "a gentleman (?) of a certain age", I prefer carrying a bit of walking-around money in my pocket for most incidentals, and I don't see the point to using a debit card when I can use a credit card instead. I also think it's a more authentic travel experience to use local currency. Depending on your bank, your ATM card as well as your credit card should work for Canadian cash withdrawals, but make sure about the service charges (if any) so you know which is the cheapest to use.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 18th, 2012, 7:53 am

Turk wrote:Spent a week in Victoria last year for work. Was in Vancouver years ago and hope to return someday.

Use your plastic extensively, the CAN to USD conversion will be automatic and it should be easy to report your expenses. As "a gentleman (?) of a certain age", I prefer carrying a bit of walking-around money in my pocket for most incidentals, and I don't see the point to using a debit card when I can use a credit card instead. I also think it's a more authentic travel experience to use local currency. Depending on your bank, your ATM card as well as your credit card should work for Canadian cash withdrawals, but make sure about the service charges (if any) so you know which is the cheapest to use.
Thanks for the tips, Turk! A colleague told me yesterday that I can use my Bank of America ATM card at Scotiabank. That will make life a little easier.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 18th, 2012, 7:55 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Don't forget your passport!!! Hope you have some time to get out and see the city - I bet the Butchart Gardens are lovely in bloom right about now.
The bad news is that the weather is supposed to be cold and rainy the entire week. The good news is that Saturday is supposed to be nice. My first official commitment on Saturday is in the evening. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 19th, 2012, 3:28 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Thanks for the tips, Turk! A colleague told me yesterday that I can use my Bank of America ATM card at Scotiabank. That will make life a little easier.

You'll be able to use it at any bank's cash machines in Canada. If you see RBC (Royal Bank of Canada), BMO (Bank of Montreal), CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce), or TD (Toronto Dominion) machines go ahead and use them.

Also, keep your receipts and when you are leaving you can get a form at the airport that you fill in and you will get whatever sales tax you paid back.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 19th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Turk wrote:Spent a week in Victoria last year for work. Was in Vancouver years ago and hope to return someday.

I use my Central Bank of Kentucky debit card in a bank ATM in Antsiranana, Madagascar. Canada should be a piece of cake! :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 19th, 2012, 7:31 pm

colchar wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Thanks for the tips, Turk! A colleague told me yesterday that I can use my Bank of America ATM card at Scotiabank. That will make life a little easier.

You'll be able to use it at any bank's cash machines in Canada. If you see RBC (Royal Bank of Canada), BMO (Bank of Montreal), CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce), or TD (Toronto Dominion) machines go ahead and use them.

Also, keep your receipts and when you are leaving you can get a form at the airport that you fill in and you will get whatever sales tax you paid back.
Thanks for the tip about sales tax!

Scotia Bank doesnt charge service fees, which is great for me.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 20th, 2012, 1:16 am

I'm a happy camper: I just learned that NuBarbie isn't attending the conference this year! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 20th, 2012, 6:55 am

colchar wrote:

Cool! You have RBC in Canada. We had RBC here until it became PNC recently.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 21st, 2012, 1:04 pm

CathyCA wrote:
colchar wrote:

Cool! You have RBC in Canada. We had RBC here until it became PNC recently.

Yeah RBC is a Canadian bank (Royal Bank of Canada) which had its name on the arena. TD (Toronto Dominion) is also in the US and the arena in Boston TD Banknorth Centre gets its name from that bank. I expect most Americans didn't know what RBC or TD stand for but the names were instantly recognizable to Canadians as they are all over the freakin' place here and are two of the largest banks in Canada.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 25th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Vancouver is a very nice (but expensive) city. Also a bit on the chilly side. Wish I had time to do more sightseeing. The area around the convention center is stunning.

Ran into PHB while I was there. Dude gave me the cold shoulder big time. Tried to ignore me when I shook out my hand for him to shake (I was standing with a collaborator from the old days; he had just shaken her hand). It was noticeable and awkward. I'm thinking he has decided to have someone else finish up the data analysis that I was supposed to be doing and is too cowardly to just come out and tell me. That would be par for the course. In any event, if I'm wrong and he does intend to work with me, the cost for my services just went up.

A funny note: NuBarbie didn't show up for the meeting, this after having submitted abstracts for 3 posters for which she was first author. Her excuse was her son's kindergarten graduation. That's a reasonable excuse IMO. What's NOT reasonable, though, is not checking out the dates of the meeting to discover the conflict before submitting abstracts for 3 posters and putting yourself as the first author. This reflects poorly on her and on PHB. Methinks NuB made a very key strategic error. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 25th, 2012, 3:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Vancouver is a very nice (but expensive) city. Also a bit on the chilly side.

Ran into PHB while I was there. Dude gave me the cold shoulder big time.
The weather was probably his fault.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 25th, 2012, 5:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Vancouver is a very nice (but expensive) city. Also a bit on the chilly side.

Ran into PHB while I was there. Dude gave me the cold shoulder big time.
The weather was probably his fault.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
-- Albert Einstein