Granny camera recs

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

Granny camera recs

Post by bluebutton » May 1st, 2012, 9:07 pm

My mom has asked for: "Camera- thin with bigger screen- simple, easy to operate."

She currently uses a Canon SD 600.

Any recommendations?
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Granny camera recs

Post by Miles » May 1st, 2012, 9:56 pm

bluebutton wrote:My mom has asked for: "Camera- thin with bigger screen- simple, easy to operate."

Any recommendations?
What's the price range? You might want to take a look at something like Canon's PowerShot ELPH 530. It's all screen, smaller and your mom might have some level of comfort operating it since she's already used the Canon interface in the SD600.
sMiles
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 2nd, 2012, 12:15 am

Miles wrote:
bluebutton wrote:My mom has asked for: "Camera- thin with bigger screen- simple, easy to operate."

Any recommendations?
What's the price range? You might want to take a look at something like Canon's PowerShot ELPH 530. It's all screen, smaller and your mom might have some level of comfort operating it since she's already used the Canon interface in the SD600.
I second the recommendation for a Canon Powershot ELPH model - I like mine because it's simple, pocket-sized, relatively speedy, and easy to figure out basic manual adjustments like turning the flash off, or changing to video.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 2nd, 2012, 7:55 am

Cathy can answer this since she'd know the model, but she had a camera that was both simple and took great pictures before the rear screen broke. Now she has one that requires a rocket scientist (or lawyer) to use. But it also takes great pictures.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 2nd, 2012, 8:35 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Cathy can answer this since she'd know the model, but she had a camera that was both simple and took great pictures before the rear screen broke. Now she has one that requires a rocket scientist (or lawyer) to use. But it also takes great pictures.
I can still use the granny camera that's in my purse. The rear screen is broken, but it's great for the times that I don't have my Nikon with me.

I'll try to find it later today and let you know exactly what kind of camera it is. I think it's a Canon Elph.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » May 2nd, 2012, 9:58 am

Since my 2 brothers and I are buying it for her, if I make a convincing argument, anything under $500 would be fine.

I was also thinking of sticking with Canon since she's familiar with it and they have generally made good products.

Any thoughts between a Canon ELPH and the Canon S90 series (It's now up to the S100.)?

Seems like the SD 600 and her previous model both had battery hatches that failed. I wonder if paying more will improve the build quality?

Thanks!!
Miles

Post by Miles » May 2nd, 2012, 1:21 pm

bluebutton wrote:Since my 2 brothers and I are buying it for her, if I make a convincing argument, anything under $500 would be fine.

I was also thinking of sticking with Canon since she's familiar with it and they have generally made good products.

Any thoughts between a Canon ELPH and the Canon S90 series (It's now up to the S100.)?

Seems like the SD 600 and her previous model both had battery hatches that failed. I wonder if paying more will improve the build quality?

Thanks!!
The S100 packs a lot more for the punch, but most of the features are for custom shooting, and that doesn't sound like a selling point for your mom. It also has a slightly smaller screen (3.0" vs. 3.2") and only 5x optical zoom compared to the ELPH at 12x.

The ELPH also has built-in WiFi and a touch screen. Touch interface doesn't always mean it's easier to use, but I'd much rather touch then click buttons to go back and forth through menus.

No idea about the battery life for either, but if I had $500 I'd buy the ELPH, then spend the extra money on storage or a spare battery pack.
sMiles
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » May 2nd, 2012, 2:09 pm

Miles wrote: The S100 packs a lot more for the punch, but most of the features are for custom shooting, and that doesn't sound like a selling point for your mom. It also has a slightly smaller screen (3.0" vs. 3.2") and only 5x optical zoom compared to the ELPH at 12x.

The ELPH also has built-in WiFi and a touch screen. Touch interface doesn't always mean it's easier to use, but I'd much rather touch then click buttons to go back and forth through menus.

No idea about the battery life for either, but if I had $500 I'd buy the ELPH, then spend the extra money on storage or a spare battery pack.
Good point about the S100. ELPH line it is. I have asked my brothers whether they think a lack of buttons will be a problem. The ELPH 300 series has buttons but a smaller screen. Trade offs, trade offs.