Anybody know when Duke sends out the acceptance letters?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Anybody know when Duke sends out the acceptance letters?

Post by Bostondevil » March 22nd, 2012, 11:46 pm

Andrew is chill. Mom is not. I'm anxiously awaiting the college letters/emails.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Anybody know when Duke sends out the acceptance letters?

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 22nd, 2012, 11:55 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Andrew is chill. Mom is not. I'm anxiously awaiting the college letters/emails.
I don't have a clue, but good luck to Andrew! Admission vibes }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 23rd, 2012, 8:50 am

Sending vibes for Andrew. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 23rd, 2012, 8:56 am

Vibes! :wizard: I hope all goes well.

Question for you, BD: when did Andrew first get the little mailer blurbs from Duke?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » March 23rd, 2012, 9:14 am

No idea when the mail goes out. The not-so-young Turk is chilling as well, but she's already got two high-quality low-cost options in her pocket from the in-state schools. She's still sticking to her story about not having a clear #1 choice, but that's not true for me.

P.S. Lavabe, not exactly sure when the mailer blurbs started arriving. The flood begins once the kids take the PSATs. I seem to recall we got something very early from Duke; maybe they sweep through whatever they can find in the alumni database...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 23rd, 2012, 9:25 am

I'm going to guess March 31 or April 1 with about a May 1 deadline for a yes/no reply. But I'm trying to remember stuff that happened with the young devildeacs from 2001, 2003 and 2007 :ymblushing: .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » March 23rd, 2012, 10:41 am

April 1 is the on or about date for all of them. Harvard actually told us March 29th. Duke just gave the regular on or about 4/1. I was just curious to see if anybody had inside info. Another week to 10 days and we start hearing. Duke is in a tie for first place choice with Stanford. He got interviewed by Stanford and Harvard which means his chances at those schools are about 50/50. They both do their alumni interviews differently from Duke. You can't request one, they decide who to interview and if you don't get interviewed, you aren't getting in. I've heard from folks in the know around here that they interview about twice as many as they accept. But the next 3 on the list after Duke and Stanford are Davidson, Emory, and Rice. I'm feeling pretty good about both Davidson and Emory.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 23rd, 2012, 10:48 am

The admissions website says "early April."

We've been getting stuff from Duke for about a year now, and Christian is in the 9th grade. He first took the SAT in the 7th grade. He took the PSAT this year, and as far as I can tell, the Duke stuff is coming to us because of his "pedigree." Other colleges sending info to this 9th grader include Drexel, University of Chicago, Air Force Academy, Ursinus (weird looking name--where is it?), Brown, Rice (brown rice!), Hampden-Sydney, Stanford, etc., Those are not all exactly top tier, but it's not bad for a 9th grader to be getting attention from some of those schools. Also, I'm not sure how much marketing some of the top tier schools need to do. Hampden-Sydney sends stuff all the time.

"We" need to increase our verbal scores in order to be competitive. Admission to Duke has gotten a lot tougher over the past 35 years.

I'm sending out good thoughts for all our CTN applicants, and all alumni kids!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Turk

Post by Turk » March 23rd, 2012, 1:16 pm

CathyCA wrote:Other colleges sending info to this 9th grader include Drexel, University of Chicago, Air Force Academy, Ursinus (weird looking name--where is it?), Brown, Rice (brown rice!), Hampden-Sydney, Stanford, etc., Those are not all exactly top tier, but it's not bad for a 9th grader to be getting attention from some of those schools. Also, I'm not sure how much marketing some of the top tier schools need to do. Hampden-Sydney sends stuff all the time.

ooh! ooh! I know the answer!

Ursinus is a small liberal-arts college in suburban Philly. There are a bazillion of these around here, probably attracted by all that old money when it was not so old. Eastern, Cabrini, Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, Harcum, Arcadia, etc etc were all started to serve some niche or sect. Had to google to see where Ursinus got the name...

"The new institution was named for Zacharias Ursinus, a 16th Century academic and theologian from Heidelberg, Germany, whose Heidelberg Catechism defined the spirit of the low-church philosophy for Bomberger and his friends. That spirit was egalitarian, unpretentious, humble and frugal and survives to this day on the Ursinus campus...."

http://www.ursinus.edu/netcommunity/page.aspx?pid=386

Has anything shown up from Wash U in St. Louis? They carpet-bombed us so much we almost nailed up a second mailbox just for all the stuff they sent...

P.S. Drexel has gotten a huge influx of money; it was always strong in engineering and is looking to compete into medicine and advanced BME. It might not be "top tier", but their rep is growing in the region, at least.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 23rd, 2012, 2:49 pm

That is good information about Ursinus. It is located in Collegeville, PA. How cool is that? "I go to college in Collegeville!"

I imagine we're getting mail from Drexel and other engineering schools because his math scores are in the stratosphere. (It's genetic--he got the math gene from his Dad.)

We haven't gotten anything from Wash U. yet. Maybe his scores don't fit their profile.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 23rd, 2012, 5:39 pm

And to think that I first thought 'Ursinus' was what was cut and ground out of my head a few years ago by my Ear, Nose, Throat and Wallet guy. :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Turk

Post by Turk » March 23rd, 2012, 6:13 pm

CathyCA wrote:That is good information about Ursinus. It is located in Collegeville, PA. How cool is that? "I go to college in Collegeville!"

I imagine we're getting mail from Drexel and other engineering schools because his math scores are in the stratosphere. (It's genetic--he got the math gene from his Dad.)

We haven't gotten anything from Wash U. yet. Maybe his scores don't fit their profile.

Collegeville is a bit of a misnomer. Not too many decades ago, the area would be more accurately named as Farmville (hee). These days, now it's mostly Pharmaceuticalville or McMansionville. The good news is that most places around here avoided turning into Foreclosureville... The next town over is Phoenixville, and their Chamber of Commerce guys will try to sell you on the idea that it's risen from the ashes of its manufacturing heritage and transformed into a trendy area featuring restored stone buildings, antiques, and microbrews. http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/

Thus endeth today's chapter on "villes". Wait, one more: the team that beat Michigan State last night should be named "Clemsonville". OK, I'm done now.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 23rd, 2012, 8:32 pm

You should PM Native and see what he knows. He's very involved in all that stuff.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 23rd, 2012, 9:08 pm

CathyCA wrote:We've been getting stuff from Duke for about a year now, and Christian is in the 9th grade. He first took the SAT in the 7th grade. He took the PSAT this year, and as far as I can tell, the Duke stuff is coming to us because of his "pedigree."
It must be different in NC, as we in Kentucky have received zilcho from Duke (LL is in 10th grade), even though one of her friends (whose family can't stand Duke) received something.
Duke and WashU have sent her nothing, but have sent alumnus dad (moi) material.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » March 24th, 2012, 8:19 am

Well, Andrew got an email today saying admissions decisions will be available online next Thursday at 6pm.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 24th, 2012, 8:24 am

Bostondevil wrote:Well, Andrew got an email today saying admissions decisions will be available online next Thursday at 6pm.
VIBES!!!!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 24th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Well, Andrew got an email today saying admissions decisions will be available online next Thursday at 6pm.
I'm sending out prayers and vibes that he gets good news!

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 24th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Prayers and vibes for Andrew and for the entire family, waiting on pins and needles!
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 24th, 2012, 4:07 pm

:wizard: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :wizard: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :wizard: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Turk

Post by Turk » March 24th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Hah! BD, you beat me to it. My Swee'Pea got the same email. (also, it appears Penn will announce by the end of the week as well).

And she picked up her safety school this morning; UVa accepted. Thanks to all for the vibes, and back at you double. (ah, let's go triple).