Skype is awesome

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Skype is awesome

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 18th, 2009, 12:53 am

I was planning on using Skype once I got out here in SF, but hadn't updated my account lately. I forgot how cool it was. For $2.95 a month I can call anyone in the US and Mexico, and for a little more I have an online number that displays when I make a call, and can be called by anyone else. If I don't answer it, they can leave a message. Works great for traveling, it's tons cheaper than using my cell phone. I was looking at some of the physical phones I can buy, there are some ones that I really like. All I need is an available wireless network. (Skype does partner with several airport/hotel networks so that you can login with your account without paying extra). Plus it has video, which is fun, but I don't use it much.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Skype is awesome

Post by DukeUsul » June 18th, 2009, 8:40 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was planning on using Skype once I got out here in SF, but hadn't updated my account lately. I forgot how cool it was. For $2.95 a month I can call anyone in the US and Mexico, and for a little more I have an online number that displays when I make a call, and can be called by anyone else. If I don't answer it, they can leave a message. Works great for traveling, it's tons cheaper than using my cell phone. I was looking at some of the physical phones I can buy, there are some ones that I really like. All I need is an available wireless network. (Skype does partner with several airport/hotel networks so that you can login with your account without paying extra). Plus it has video, which is fun, but I don't use it much.
Skype is indeed cool. I've used it on a regular basis to have business calls with folks in India. And we use it at home all the time to do video chats with the grandparents.
-- DukeUsul
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » June 18th, 2009, 8:44 am

Video chats with the grandchildren in Colorado. A highlight of my days. Skype is great.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 18th, 2009, 9:39 am

I've never used it, but I've heard good things about it. :)] Speaking of VOIP, who has a magicjack? :-bd

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Skype?

Post by EarlJam » June 20th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Anyone here use Skype?

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Skype?

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 21st, 2009, 12:40 am

EarlJam wrote:Anyone here use Skype?

-EarlJam
I'm very partial to Vonage. I have used it for 3 or 4 years now, maybe longer. Very satisfied, and love their "simultaneous ring" feature. Call my number and it rings on both my desk and my cell phone simultaneously (duh). Very handy feature, and it is different than call forwarding.

Right now they have a "2 months free" promotion going on for both me and anyone I refer. If anyone wants a referral, please PM me your email address and I'll send you one. They'll also give you the equipment for free.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 21st, 2009, 2:43 am

I have a friend that uses Skype and she loves it. She started using it in NJ, and when she moved to CA, she brought the number with her, so it's a local call for her parents (good for those who don't have a nationwide long distance plan). It's great and economical when she calls her sister overseas (she lives in Malawi) too. Plus, she never has to worry about setting up new phone service anywhere. She just takes everything with her. I think she could get a new local number if she wanted to, though.

And when I talk to her on her Skype line, I notice NO difference than if it was a regular land line.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 25th, 2009, 10:20 pm

I've now bought a local number and a subscription for a year. I also bought a USB phone today and have ordered an adapter so I can use our regular cordless phone. (I'll keep the usb phone with my laptop). For under $100 I will have a working phone system for the next 12 months. I'm going to have everyone in the house use it exclusively for the next couple weeks. If we all agree that it works as well as is it seems to be, I'll call Embarq and tell them to cram it.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 26th, 2009, 5:51 pm

Just installed my phone adapter to use with our wireless phone. It works great! It has it's own built in answering machine, too, which I didn't realize. It's setup so if you wanted to, you could use it with a landline as well, but to me, that defeats the purpose. I can even dial in and check messages remotely. We'll try it out the next two weeks and see if we like it well enough to use as our only phone.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 26th, 2009, 10:22 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just installed my phone adapter to use with our wireless phone. It works great! It has it's own built in answering machine, too, which I didn't realize. It's setup so if you wanted to, you could use it with a landline as well, but to me, that defeats the purpose. I can even dial in and check messages remotely. We'll try it out the next two weeks and see if we like it well enough to use as our only phone.
I think you'll find that the VOIP is as reliable as your internet connection is. As long as you have plenty of bandwidth, it should work fine. My Vonage does.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 27th, 2009, 1:06 pm

EarlJam got his Skype set up on his new notebook and called me last night. We did the video chat was pretty cool, except for the first hour I thought my video was working but it wasn't. My wife now knows what EJ looks like (with clothes on thankfully :)) )
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2009, 2:49 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:EarlJam got his Skype set up on his new notebook and called me last night. We did the video chat was pretty cool, except for the first hour I thought my video was working but it wasn't. My wife now knows what EJ looks like (with clothes on thankfully :)) )
Was he working on his pole, err, poll, when you chatted? :roll: :oops: :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 27th, 2009, 2:53 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:EarlJam got his Skype set up on his new notebook and called me last night. We did the video chat was pretty cool, except for the first hour I thought my video was working but it wasn't. My wife now knows what EJ looks like (with clothes on thankfully :)) )
Was he working on his pole, err, poll, when you chatted? :roll: :oops: :))
I don't know, but he had a devious twinkle in his eye.