Pearl Harbor Day

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2011, 8:04 am

Just remember, it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Remembering all those who lost their lives that day.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 7th, 2011, 8:13 am

:hitler: Fuckin' Germans.

As I was driving in to work today, I was wondering "what were the Japanese thinking"? I need to read up more on the history of their involvement, but what on earth were they hoping to accomplish? They never could have invaded the mainland, and if they did they would have gotten an instant ass kicking, so were they just hoping to snag Hawaii and call it a day? I know they also had troops in Alaska, and that plan didn't work out so well for them either.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 7th, 2011, 8:55 am

My father was in WW2. He was on a ship that got hit. He was a hospital corpsman. One of his fingers was severed and hanging only by skin. He sewed it back one. It never worked again. He was very lucky (as were we) to come home healthy.

Thank you all who have served in our armed forces and the ones serving now. Words are not enough. :ymhug:

**== **== **==
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 7th, 2011, 9:09 am

IIRC, the Japanese admiral in charge knew that attacking Pearl Harbor was a really bad idea, especially when he realized our aircraft carriers were out to sea and unscathed in the attack. He followed orders of the higher-ups, who thought America was soft and one sucker punch would keep us from interfering in their invasions of the South Pacific.

My dad was a Navy corpsman in WW2. Flat feet kept him from going to a war zone; he ended up in Florida.

I really want to go to the Arizona memorial.

Remembering those who lost their lives, and those dwindling numbers of survivors. **==
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 7th, 2011, 10:19 am

Pearl Harbor.jpg
Thank you for making the ultimate sacrifice for our country. May you rest in peace.
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 7th, 2011, 10:23 am

lawgrad91 wrote:IIRC, the Japanese admiral in charge knew that attacking Pearl Harbor was a really bad idea, especially when he realized our aircraft carriers were out to sea and unscathed in the attack. He followed orders of the higher-ups, who thought America was soft and one sucker punch would keep us from interfering in their invasions of the South Pacific.

My dad was a Navy corpsman in WW2. Flat feet kept him from going to a war zone; he ended up in Florida.

Remembering those who lost their lives, and those dwindling numbers of survivors. **==
That is correct, LG. Had our carriers been at Pearl, the attack would have dealt our Navy a huge blow. We likely would not have recovered for a number of years. But, because they were out at sea, we were able to eventually attack Midway and through the fastidious work of an intelligence officer, we were able to defeat the Japs and turn things around in the Pacific for us.

The Japanese did think we would roll over and take it. As LG noted, the admiral knew we wouldn't. Know your enemy and know that they don't think like you do or would react like you would.

They also attacked us because we had cut off their oil supply. Can't remember why, but I think it may have had something to do with what they were doing in China.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » December 7th, 2011, 11:52 am

TillyGalore wrote:That is correct, LG. Had our carriers been at Pearl, the attack would have dealt our Navy a huge blow. We likely would not have recovered for a number of years. But, because they were out at sea, we were able to eventually attack Midway and through the fastidious work of an intelligence officer, we were able to defeat the Japs and turn things around in the Pacific for us.

The Japanese did think we would roll over and take it. As LG noted, the admiral knew we wouldn't. Know your enemy and know that they don't think like you do or would react like you would.

They also attacked us because we had cut off their oil supply. Can't remember why, but I think it may have had something to do with what they were doing in China.

And our carriers all being out to sea is one of the things conspiracy theorists point to when they say Roosevelt knew about the attack. In short, their theory is: "Roosevelt let the attack happen because he knew it was the only way Americans would accept us joining the war effort overseas (in Europe primarily). He made sure the carriers weren't there for the attack so that it wouldn't be a complete devistation." Also, these conspiracy folks believed Roosevelt would spring up out of his wheelchair late at night, go down to the secret basketball court under the White House, and hoop it up with Truman, Stimson, and Eleanor. Eleanor was an awesome post player, by the way.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 7th, 2011, 2:15 pm

EarlJam wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:That is correct, LG. Had our carriers been at Pearl, the attack would have dealt our Navy a huge blow. We likely would not have recovered for a number of years. But, because they were out at sea, we were able to eventually attack Midway and through the fastidious work of an intelligence officer, we were able to defeat the Japs and turn things around in the Pacific for us.

And our carriers all being out to sea is one of the things conspiracy theorists point to when they say Roosevelt knew about the attack. In short, their theory is: "Roosevelt let the attack happen because he knew it was the only way Americans would accept us joining the war effort overseas (in Europe primarily). He made sure the carriers weren't there for the attack so that it wouldn't be a complete devistation." Also, these conspiracy folks believed Roosevelt would spring up out of his wheelchair late at night, go down to the secret basketball court under the White House, and hoop it up with Truman, Stimson, and Eleanor. Eleanor was an awesome post player, by the way.

-EarlJam
Eleanor was pretty tall, but I think field hockey was her sport when she was in school in London.

Tilly is correct about the Japanese oil supply. Rubber was an issue for them, too. (It was a problem for us, as well. The major reason gasoline was rationed in WW2 in the US was to keep rubber usage down.) And the story of the intelligence officer and his group who broke the Japanese naval code is fascinating.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » December 7th, 2011, 11:03 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:IIRC, the Japanese admiral in charge knew that attacking Pearl Harbor was a really bad idea, especially when he realized our aircraft carriers were out to sea and unscathed in the attack. He followed orders of the higher-ups, who thought America was soft and one sucker punch would keep us from interfering in their invasions of the South Pacific.

That is correct, LG. Had our carriers been at Pearl, the attack would have dealt our Navy a huge blow. We likely would not have recovered for a number of years. But, because they were out at sea, we were able to eventually attack Midway and through the fastidious work of an intelligence officer, we were able to defeat the Japs and turn things around in the Pacific for us.

I should remember this, as I was just at the Pearl Harbor memorial last February, but Tilly's summary sounds right. Japan was doing horrific things in China, and taking over other parts of SE Asia as well, primarily in the Phillipines. US wanted to stay out of the asian affairs, but the attack on Pearl Harbor made that impossible.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 8th, 2011, 9:21 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

I should remember this, as I was just at the Pearl Harbor memorial last February, but Tilly's summary sounds right. Japan was doing horrific things in China, and taking over other parts of SE Asia as well, primarily in the Phillipines. US wanted to stay out of the asian affairs, but the attack on Pearl Harbor made that impossible.
I had a law school classmate from China. His grandmother was the only family member to survive the Japanese Rape of Nanking, and she only survived because the Japanese soldier who slashed her neck with a sword didn't cut as decapitate her like he did the rest of the family.
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 8th, 2011, 11:36 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
EarlJam wrote:

-EarlJam
Eleanor was pretty tall, but I think field hockey was her sport when she was in school in London.

Tilly is correct about the Japanese oil supply. Rubber was an issue for them, too. (It was a problem for us, as well. The major reason gasoline was rationed in WW2 in the US was to keep rubber usage down.) And the story of the intelligence officer and his group who broke the Japanese naval code is fascinating.
LG, wasn't sure if your comment about the intel officer was due to you knowing the story or not, but found a link to something posted yesterday on NPR, http://www.npr.org/2011/12/07/143287370 ... y-possible.

The Pearl Harbor attack is one the most fascinating pieces of history to me and I try to absorb everything about it. When I was in Honolulu a few years ago, at the recommendation or jarhead, I did a tour with "Home of the Brave" and learned A LOT. For example, several years prior to the attack, when Yamamoto was in America, the military took a look at Pearl and devised a plan that could be used to attack Pearl so they could figure out how to defend Pearl. The New York Times apparently published this report and it is thought Yamamoto had seen it. During this tour I not only got to go out to the USS Arizona, I also went to Wheeler where you can still see the scorch marks and Scofield where you still see the bullet holes. I had lunch at the club on the golf course where I'm pretty sure General Short was when he got the news of the attack. You might say I'm a little obsessed with Pearl. Maybe I was there that day in my previous life hence my intense fascination and love for Hawaii.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 8th, 2011, 12:11 pm

TillyGalore wrote: LG, wasn't sure if your comment about the intel officer was due to you knowing the story or not, but found a link to something posted yesterday on NPR, http://www.npr.org/2011/12/07/143287370 ... y-possible.

The Pearl Harbor attack is one the most fascinating pieces of history to me and I try to absorb everything about it. When I was in Honolulu a few years ago, at the recommendation or jarhead, I did a tour with "Home of the Brave" and learned A LOT. For example, several years prior to the attack, when Yamamoto was in America, the military took a look at Pearl and devised a plan that could be used to attack Pearl so they could figure out how to defend Pearl. The New York Times apparently published this report and it is thought Yamamoto had seen it. During this tour I not only got to go out to the USS Arizona, I also went to Wheeler where you can still see the scorch marks and Scofield where you still see the bullet holes. I had lunch at the club on the golf course where I'm pretty sure General Short was when he got the news of the attack. You might say I'm a little obsessed with Pearl. Maybe I was there that day in my previous life hence my intense fascination and love for Hawaii.
I read a book about Joe Rochefort some years ago. It was quite interesting. I always thought it was interesting that musicians made the best codebreakers.
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 8th, 2011, 12:37 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: LG, wasn't sure if your comment about the intel officer was due to you knowing the story or not, but found a link to something posted yesterday on NPR, http://www.npr.org/2011/12/07/143287370 ... y-possible.

I read a book about Joe Rochefort some years ago. It was quite interesting. I always thought it was interesting that musicians made the best codebreakers.
It's the math. Codebreakers look for a pattern and, as you know. music is all about patterns.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 9th, 2011, 7:28 pm

I got to see the hangars and barracks at Hickam (still wearing bullet holes and broken glass) and a brief ride-around on Ford Island. The Utah was moored on the northern end of Ford, and is still there, beneath the water. Navy brass live in homes at the water's edge and they aren't too fond of curious onlookers. Can't blame them. It is their home, after all.

My late brother was a tour guide on the Missouri. We have a flag that was flown on it's mast that was sent to us after his passing.

Every American citizen should take the time to visit the Arizona and the Missouri, when on Oahu. You'll be glad you did.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 9th, 2011, 8:48 pm

captmojo wrote:I got to see the hangars and barracks at Hickam (still wearing bullet holes and broken glass) and a brief ride-around on Ford Island. The Utah was moored on the northern end of Ford, and is still there, beneath the water. Navy brass live in homes at the water's edge and they aren't too fond of curious onlookers. Can't blame them. It is their home, after all.

My late brother was a tour guide on the Missouri. We have a flag that was flown on it's mast that was sent to us after his passing.

Every American citizen should take the time to visit the Arizona and the Missouri, when on Oahu. You'll be glad you did.
:ymhug: