Duke vs Stanford

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Duke vs Stanford

Post by Bob Green » September 4th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Someone has to start the thread so it may as well be me. I'm off to North Carolina on Wednesday to join the festivities at Wallace Wade on Saturday. I'm still excited...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke vs Stanford

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 4th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Bob Green wrote:Someone has to start the thread so it may as well be me. I'm off to North Carolina on Wednesday to join the festivities at Wallace Wade on Saturday. I'm still excited...
We can promise the food will be awesome. :ymdevil:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 4th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Life goes on! Looking forward to seeing you, Bob!

I'm still thinking over what happened on the field last night, but remain an optimist. Whatever else happens, it will be interesting to see the QB who's mentioned in so many conversations.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 4th, 2011, 6:19 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Bob Green wrote:Someone has to start the thread so it may as well be me. I'm off to North Carolina on Wednesday to join the festivities at Wallace Wade on Saturday. I'm still excited...
If yesterday's food was any indication of next week's, it will be a great party.
:duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 4th, 2011, 8:07 pm

What about the beer?

:whistle: :-w
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
RSharpe54
PW in training
PW in training

Post by RSharpe54 » September 4th, 2011, 8:51 pm

The main thing in this game is to not get beat like we did versus Alabama last year, because we all know what happened after that! We can compete, we can at least keep ourselves from being blown out like last season! I am optimistic that we can hang around for at least a quarter or maybe part of the first half we will see! :happy-bouncyblue:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 4th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Any of you all hear any reports on how big of crowd is expected for the Stanford game? I plan to be there early to beat the traffic and parking congestion, and enjoy tailgate of course, but it would be nice to know if a big crowd is anticipated. I can't imagine many Stanford folks making the cross country trip.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2011, 10:47 am

Bob Green wrote:Any of you all hear any reports on how big of crowd is expected for the Stanford game? I plan to be there early to beat the traffic and parking congestion, and enjoy tailgate of course, but it would be nice to know if a big crowd is anticipated. I can't imagine many Stanford folks making the cross country trip.
I'd bet about 25K but that's a guess. I'll wager they have some promotion planned like Military Appreciation, youth football or Band Day but no prior knowledge. We usually arrive about 3 hours pre-game and have little difficulty parking. You could always arrive about 7AM and help CB&B, TNTDevil and CowboyDevil set up the tents and grills :)) .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 5th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Weather update on Hurricane Katia:

Hopefully, Katia tracks north and east as projected.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 6th, 2011, 1:03 pm

The Murky News in San Jose had this to say about the SJSU-Stanford game on Saturday:
Many of [SJSU''s] killer mistakes were made not by rookies but veterans. . .
http://www.mercurynews.com/cal-bears/ci ... urce=email

The Herald-Sun in Derm had this to say about the Duke-Richmond game on Saturday:
After examining the film, Cutcliffe said the coaching staff identified 17 critical errors the team made in the game’s 159 snaps.

“Which is too many for critical errors,” Cutcliffe said. “The rest of the snaps we played pretty good. Most of our upperclassmen were involved in those critical errors in some form or fashion.
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_stor ... in_article

Notice any similarities? Here's another one: Mike MacIntyre, the head coach at SJSU, was the defensive coordinator at Duke under Coach Cutcliffe before heading out to SJC. I hope that our final score this coming Saturday isn't similar to the 57-3 drubbing that Stanford put on SJSU.

Jet lag! I'm hoping that the Cardinal suffers from jet lag on Saturday.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 6th, 2011, 1:15 pm

CathyCA wrote:The Murky News in San Jose had this to say about the SJSU-Stanford game on Saturday:

The Herald-Sun in Derm had this to say about the Duke-Richmond game on Saturday:
After examining the film, Cutcliffe said the coaching staff identified 17 critical errors the team made in the game’s 159 snaps.

“Which is too many for critical errors,” Cutcliffe said. “The rest of the snaps we played pretty good. Most of our upperclassmen were involved in those critical errors in some form or fashion.

Notice any similarities? Here's another one: Mike MacIntyre, the head coach at SJSU, was the defensive coordinator at Duke under Coach Cutcliffe before heading out to SJC. I hope that our final score this coming Saturday isn't similar to the 57-3 drubbing that Stanford put on SJSU.

Did he say anything about the shitty play calling and the shitty clock management? I thought both of those were critical errors. X(
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 6th, 2011, 2:03 pm

CathyCA wrote:The Murky News in San Jose had this to say about the SJSU-Stanford game on Saturday:

Did he say anything about the shitty play calling and the shitty clock management? I thought both of those were critical errors. X(
As a matter of fact, yes:
One of the critical errors, Cutcliffe admitted, falls on his shoulders. At the end of the first half, the Blue Devils ran one play with 10 seconds left rather than kick a field goal. The play was a completed pass short of the first-down marker and the half expired with Duke on the Richmond 10.

“The one in the first half was really my fault,” Cutcliffe said. “I had a route called to go to the end zone. But they blitzed and the quarterback did what he was taught to do and threw underneath.”

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 6th, 2011, 3:56 pm

CathyCA wrote:As a matter of fact, yes:
One of the critical errors, Cutcliffe admitted, falls on his shoulders. At the end of the first half, the Blue Devils ran one play with 10 seconds left rather than kick a field goal. The play was a completed pass short of the first-down marker and the half expired with Duke on the Richmond 10.

“The one in the first half was really my fault,” Cutcliffe said. “I had a route called to go to the end zone. But they blitzed and the quarterback did what he was taught to do and threw underneath.”

:9f:
That's one of the things I like about Cutcliffe; he holds himself accountable. There was still lots blamed on the team, some of it deservedly so, but I really hated our gameplan on Saturday. He didn't take all the responsibility that I would have liked, but I am not suprised to see him take blame.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 6th, 2011, 5:44 pm

This doesn't effect me - right?

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/crosstown ... y-for-good

I believe I can still exit off I-40 West at 279B and onto NC 147N to Chapel Hill Street (Exit 13), but confirmation from you local folks would be appreciated. I don't need to be hunting a new route to Duke on Saturday morning. I remember the old days of my youth and taking US 401 to NC 55.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 6th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Bob Green wrote:This doesn't effect me - right?

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/crosstown ... y-for-good

I believe I can still exit off I-40 West at 279B and onto NC 147N to Chapel Hill Street (Exit 13), but confirmation from you local folks would be appreciated. I don't need to be hunting a new route to Duke on Saturday morning. I remember the old days of my youth and taking US 401 to NC 55.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
You're in good shape. 147 going into town from I40 is a northside exit. What is described in the article has to do with the southern side off of I40. :-BD
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"