K says he'll be around a while longer

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

K says he'll be around a while longer

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 29th, 2011, 8:46 am

"I think if I announced this is my last year in coaching, it would take on more significance," Krzyzewski said Tuesday. "But the fact that I'm not -- I have my health, I'm going to coach for a number of years."
For all the speculation we have about his replacement, by the time he does go Jon Schyer might be a viable candidate...haha. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_stor ... in_article
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: K says he'll be around a while longer

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 29th, 2011, 8:49 am

And this article echoes that thought...
A frequent topic of conversation in ACC basketball circles is who will succeed Mike Krzyzewski when he decides to retire as Duke's basketball coach. Looking fresh and rested at his yearly summer news conference Tuesday afternoon, Krzyzewski made it sound like that retirement date is a long time in the future.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/29/ ... owing.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 5th, 2011, 9:57 am

I read that article! Coach K has the best job! And so glad he his staying at Duke for several years.

My personal choice for the next coach, and has been my choice for 2 years, would be Butler's Coach Brad Stevens.
DUKEBLUE252
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by DUKEBLUE252 » July 6th, 2011, 2:01 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:I read that article! Coach K has the best job! And so glad he his staying at Duke for several years.

My personal choice for the next coach, and has been my choice for 2 years, would be Butler's Coach Brad Stevens.

i would LOVE for one of the DUKE family to take over coach K's legacy, but mr. stevens would be a prime candidate for the job, imagine what he could do with the DUKE brand, the top recruiting, and the overall excellence that is DUKE! he obviously can build a winning program, why not?

on a side note, i was discussing the topic of K retiring soon, most likely after this upcoming season, he would be 65, (usual retirement age) and he is as close as close can be to passing his mentor, and he just had a freshmen as the #1 draft pick after 11 games? if i was K, i dont think i could go out on a better note, unless a ncaa title(which i think was in his sights before kyrie got hurt) (i pray to GOD im wrong) but it would make sense if he chose that route. any other thoughts?
peace? PEACE??!! I hate the word, as i hate chapel hell, all tarholes, and roy.
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » July 6th, 2011, 4:03 pm

I agree that going out on top like John Elway would be nice, but most every one of the top athletes, coaches, stick around based on how much they enjoy doing it. Some enjoy it too long and tarnish our memories of them, but who is to say they're not allowed? As long as Coach K wants to be here, I'm all for him staying as long as he wants to. :duke:

As far as who to step in (I hate 'replace', no one can :) ) I think it may be a while before that can be identified. The usual candidates are there, Wojo, Amaker, Dawkins, Collins, etc. but we may have yet to see who that may be. Who knows, CB&B may be correct with the Scheyer pick :D

And as Art Chansky types in everyday on his laptop....

:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: