Cell Phones

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Cell Phones

Post by CathyCA » June 12th, 2009, 3:24 pm

Last week, I washed some of Christian's school uniform pants. After I put them in the dryer, I heard a thumping noise. I opened the dryer door, shifted the clothes around and started it back again. More thumping. I opened the dryer door again and felt around until I found my kid's cell phone in his pants pocket. I removed the cell phone and put it in a container of rice to dry it out.

Days have passed, and the phone doesn't work.

I went to the T-Mobile store today to get them to look at the phone. The guy there told me that he could sell me another phone (apparently I failed to purchase insurance on this phone) and put the SIM card in the new phone. Light bulb moment for me: my old cell phone was back at the house. I told him that I would try my old phone first, and if that didn't work, I'd return to the store to purchase another one. Then, he told me that rather than purchasing from their store, I should go to Best Buy and get one of their pre-paid phones and just put my son's SIM card in it. "It's cheaper than what I can do for you here," he said.

So then, I asked him if there were any way he could make my phone bill less expensive. "Well, since you've asked," he said, "I can put you on our 'Loyalty' plan." Turns out, there was no contract extension, and my rate went down $40.00 per month SIMPLY BECAUSE I ASKED.

So, T-Mobile customers, get yourselves down to your local T-Mobile store and ask if they can make your cell phone plan less expensive.

And the next best part of my day has been the fact that my old cell phone works with Christian's SIM card. I didn't need to buy a new phone.

:-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c :-c
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Cell Phones

Post by TillyGalore » June 12th, 2009, 3:47 pm

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
I worship the Blue Devil!
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 12th, 2009, 3:52 pm

:-o Shocked, :-o shocked, I say, that they never informed you about the lower rate plan. $-) $-) $-)

/:) 8-|
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 12th, 2009, 3:53 pm

YOU have such a way with the men! YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!!!!! Excellent execution! :ymhug:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 12th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Something similar happened to me with the cable company a few months back. I called about some trouble with our billing, and I guess the customer service lady just felt like being nice, because she said, "Now you know you're paying too much, right?"
I hung up with a ~$30 monthly reduction in our cable/internet bill, plus 6 months of free HBO.
Um, OK. Whatever. :shock: :-?? :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

wilson wrote:Something similar happened to me with the cable company a few months back. I called about some trouble with our billing, and I guess the customer service lady just felt like being nice, because she said, "Now you know you're paying too much, right?"
I hung up with a ~$30 monthly reduction in our cable/internet bill, plus 6 months of free HBO.
I think I posted this a couple of months ago. Each time I called TWC to complain about the ever decreasing memory buffer performance of my HD DVR, they lowered my bill, first from $132/month to $102/month, then they gave me a $70 one time credit, which made that monthly bill $32. THAT I could handle every month! I still don't like the ever decreasing memory buffer, but at least I'm paying less for being dissatisfied :-o
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 12th, 2009, 5:07 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
wilson wrote:Something similar happened to me with the cable company a few months back. I called about some trouble with our billing, and I guess the customer service lady just felt like being nice, because she said, "Now you know you're paying too much, right?"
I think I posted this a couple of months ago. Each time I called TWC to complain about the ever decreasing memory buffer performance of my HD DVR, they lowered my bill, first from $132/month to $102/month, then they gave me a $70 one time credit, which made that monthly bill $32. THAT I could handle every month! I still don't like the ever decreasing memory buffer, but at least I'm paying less for being dissatisfied :-o
My cable guy is my future father in-law, Blue Devil's father. ;) :D
I worship the Blue Devil!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 12th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Huh. I went into Alltell because my phone was missing a screw, and losing another one which would cause the top screen (slider phone) to fall off. They told me I needed to buy a brand new phone, just because of the screws (apparently you can't find screws that small anywhere???). So before I had a chance to tell them no, my dad agreed to buy a new one... :-\ We should switch to T-Mobile!
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 12th, 2009, 6:31 pm

cl15876 wrote:YOU have such a way with the men! YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!!!!! Excellent execution! :ymhug:

What you don't know is what she did to GET that lower rate. ;) I kid, I kid.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 12th, 2009, 6:36 pm

I washed my cell phone in the washer, too. The Verizon people told my mother in law what to do when she dropped it in a toilet. You take the battery out ASAP. In fact, MOST of the damage is caused by the overheating of the circuits that are shorted, so if you can, keep it in the cold water while taking out the battery to prevent the overheat (I didn't do this cause I didn't know that part). Then, you heat your oven to about 200 degrees. Now turn the oven off. Now put your cell phone in it, as open as possible (flipped open if a flip phone, battery cover off, antenna up if extendable antenna), on a towel over night. The next morning, my phone (and hers) worked fine. The screen's a little cloudy, and it "hiccups" once in a while (like once a week or so, it'll randomly turn off), but all in all, it works. Don't forget to turn off your oven before you put the phone in. We're not trying to cook it, just dry it out. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 12th, 2009, 9:12 pm

CellR wrote:Huh. I went into Alltell because my phone was missing a screw, and losing another one which would cause the top screen (slider phone) to fall off. They told me I needed to buy a brand new phone, just because of the screws (apparently you can't find screws that small anywhere???). So before I had a chance to tell them no, my dad agreed to buy a new one... :-\ We should switch to T-Mobile!
You're much better off with Alltel than T-Mobile. Far better service/coverage and better rate plans. The rate plan advantage sort of goes away as Verizon takes over Alltel, which is happening now in the Triangle, but the service area is still far superior.

When my wife dropped her phone in the toilet, we both got new phones!

Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 12th, 2009, 9:42 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:[You're much better off with Alltel than T-Mobile. Far better service/coverage and better rate plans. The rate plan advantage sort of goes away as Verizon takes over Alltel, which is happening now in the Triangle, but the service area is still far superior.

Alltell hasn't been that bad I guess. You're right about the coverage. It seems as if I always have service, even when my friends don't. :)
Can you get an iPhone with Alltell now?
Class of 2014
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 12th, 2009, 9:45 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CellR wrote:Huh. I went into Alltell because my phone was missing a screw, and losing another one which would cause the top screen (slider phone) to fall off. They told me I needed to buy a brand new phone, just because of the screws (apparently you can't find screws that small anywhere???). So before I had a chance to tell them no, my dad agreed to buy a new one... :-\ We should switch to T-Mobile!
You're much better off with Alltel than T-Mobile. Far better service/coverage and better rate plans. The rate plan advantage sort of goes away as Verizon takes over Alltel, which is happening now in the Triangle, but the service area is still far superior.

I just checked Alltel/Verizon's plans, and I'm paying less with T-Mobile for my 2 phones with nationwide unlimited call minutes and unlimited texting. I guess T-Mobile had to get competitive to keep its customers.

As far as coverage goes, there are a few places on 264 between Wilson and Zebulon where my phone coverage drops off, and there are a few places along 64 in Edgecombe County where my coverage drops. And the irritating thing is, those are fairly remote places where I don't want to be alone on the side of the road, but would have no way of getting any help by phone.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 12th, 2009, 11:24 pm

CellR wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:[You're much better off with Alltel than T-Mobile. Far better service/coverage and better rate plans. The rate plan advantage sort of goes away as Verizon takes over Alltel, which is happening now in the Triangle, but the service area is still far superior.

Alltell hasn't been that bad I guess. You're right about the coverage. It seems as if I always have service, even when my friends don't. :)
Can you get an iPhone with Alltell now?
No, no iPhone at Alltel/Verizon. Verizon does off the Blackberry Bold (or is it the storm?) with a touch screen. I have a friend who likes it.

Only AT&T has the iPhone. Still.

Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 13th, 2009, 12:25 am

I'm guessing wilson's dimples are visible over the phone! ;)
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 13th, 2009, 9:05 am

I have very little choice where I live. If you're not on I-95 between Woodbridge and Fredericksburg in Northern VA or even heading down toward Richmond, you aren't getting signal unless you have Verizon. And when we travel to my wife's parents in Staunton, we take a LOT of back roads through central VA, and you get NO signal without Verizon there. With Verizon, I at least have enough bars to talk the entire way.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 13th, 2009, 10:06 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Only AT&T has the iPhone. Still.
Ugh, hopefully that changes soon. Although I'm not sure I want to pay that much for a phone...
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 13th, 2009, 2:14 pm

I thought I'd heard that Verizon was going to get one soon. Not really interested myself, but it would be a nice option.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Ben63 » June 13th, 2009, 4:17 pm

CellR wrote:We should switch to T-Mobile!
No you shouldn't. Worst service I ever had. Didn't even work in my house. Now I know I live in Pennsylvania and the service may be different down there but it sucks here. I never recommend it to anyone.

But I do love Verizon.
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » June 13th, 2009, 4:27 pm

CellR wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Only AT&T has the iPhone. Still.
Ugh, hopefully that changes soon. Although I'm not sure I want to pay that much for a phone...
Get and iPod Touch. Pretty much the greatest decision of my life. They are expensive but worth every penny.