The latest Duke Alumni Mag issue

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

weezie
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

The latest Duke Alumni Mag issue

Post by weezie » June 10th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Did anybody else feel kind of embarrassed reading the 25th anniversary alumni mag? As if "Duke" was trying too hard to look cool? Maybe it's a sign that I am too old to know what's what but it sure seemed a little yucky to me.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: The latest Duke Alumni Mag issue

Post by DukePA » June 10th, 2009, 9:49 pm

I haven't seen it yet. Did you get it recently or did I ignore it?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 10th, 2009, 11:14 pm

DukePA wrote:I haven't seen it yet. Did you get it recently or did I ignore it?
We got ours in the last week. White and silver cover with a Duke blue Duke written on it.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 10th, 2009, 11:47 pm

I saved it because there were so many references to 1984, my graduation year. If you've ever seen the 1984 Chanticleer, then you'd know why I'm saving this magazine as a keepsake.

It also had the avuncular letter on the last page. Sadly, I didn't get to keep my avuncular letter from Uncle Terry. Coach K wanted a copy and I gave my avuncular letter to him.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » June 11th, 2009, 12:54 am

CathyCA wrote:Sadly, I didn't get to keep my avuncular letter from Uncle Terry. Coach K wanted a copy and I gave my avuncular letter to him.
That is just sooooo cool.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 11th, 2009, 5:24 am

CathyCA wrote:It also had the avuncular letter on the last page. Sadly, I didn't get to keep my avuncular letter from Uncle Terry. Coach K wanted a copy and I gave my avuncular letter to him.
Ask for it back...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 11th, 2009, 8:39 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
CathyCA wrote:It also had the avuncular letter on the last page. Sadly, I didn't get to keep my avuncular letter from Uncle Terry. Coach K wanted a copy and I gave my avuncular letter to him.
Ask for it back...
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » June 11th, 2009, 10:05 am

CathyCA wrote:I saved it because there were so many references to 1984, my graduation year. If you've ever seen the 1984 Chanticleer, then you'd know why I'm saving this magazine as a keepsake.

It also had the avuncular letter on the last page. Sadly, I didn't get to keep my avuncular letter from Uncle Terry. Coach K wanted a copy and I gave my avuncular letter to him.
So what did Coach K think of it? (i.e., funny?)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 11th, 2009, 12:39 pm

I don't know what he thought of it really.

That day after I'd finished my lunch, I walked over to the Bryan Center, checked my mailbox, and there was this letter from Uncle Terry. He sent us letters all the time on the topics of leadership, character, etc., so it wasn't any big surprise to find a letter from Uncle Terry in my mailbox. What WAS so different from all of the other communiques from President Sanford was the TONE of his letter. And--YES--I admit it, I went straight to my dorm room to look up the meaning of "avuncular."

I walked over to Cameron for my afternoon job and walked in and Coach K was sitting at his desk preparing for that afternoon's practice. It was a Thursday, and the team had lost to Wake Forest the night before--and to Maryland the previous game. We were facing UNC at home on Saturday. At that time, UNC was undefeated, ranked #1, and had team personnel by the names of Perkins, DohrMatt, Jordan, KennySmith, Buzz, InHale/ExHale, Joe Wolf, Davd Popson and others. I said hi to Coach K, put my coat and purse down at my desk, and asked him if he knew anything about Uncle Terry's avuncular letter. "Letter? What letter?" I grabbed my copy of the letter and handed it to Coach K. He read it and asked me if he could keep it. I said yes. I didn't even think to make a copy for myself.

He went back to preparing for practice. I began transcribing his dictation tapes.

Beyond that, we never discussed the avuncular letter in the basketball office.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 11th, 2009, 12:43 pm

CathyCA wrote:I don't know what he thought of it really.

That day after I'd finished my lunch, I walked over to the Bryan Center, checked my mailbox, and there was this letter from Uncle Terry. He sent us letters all the time on the topics of leadership, character, etc., so it wasn't any big surprise to find a letter from Uncle Terry in my mailbox. What WAS so different from all of the other communiques from President Sanford was the TONE of his letter. And--YES--I admit it, I went straight to my dorm room to look up the meaning of "avuncular."

I walked over to Cameron for my afternoon job and walked in and Coach K was sitting at his desk preparing for that afternoon's practice. It was a Thursday, and the team had lost to Wake Forest the night before--and to Maryland the previous game. We were facing UNC at home on Saturday. At that time, UNC was undefeated, ranked #1, and had team personnel by the names of Perkins, DohrMatt, Jordan, KennySmith, Buzz, InHale/ExHale, Joe Wolf, Davd Popson and others. I said hi to Coach K, put my coat and purse down at my desk, and asked him if he knew anything about Uncle Terry's avuncular letter. "Letter? What letter?" I grabbed my copy of the letter and handed it to Coach K. He read it and asked me if he could keep it. I said yes. I didn't even think to make a copy for myself.

He went back to preparing for practice. I began transcribing his dictation tapes.

You'd have thought that he'd put this into one of his books!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 11th, 2009, 1:42 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:You'd have thought that he'd put this into one of his books!
Coach K was so incredibly focused then on preparing his team for a truly formidable opponent that the avuncular letter was truly a non-issue for him.

We did manage to beat Carolina later that year in the ACC Tournament. Duke was one of only 3 teams that managed to beat the Tar Heels that year. We also came close to beating them in Chapel Hill, going into 2 OTs. That was an exciting game. I took my Dad and my younger brother and we sat behind the Duke bench. When they played the re-runs of that game on ESPN this winter, I got to see myself on TV.

I really, really, really loved that 1984 Duke team: Doug McNeely, Richard Ford, Jay Bryan, Danny Meagher, Todd Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie, Jay Bilas, Weldon Williams, David Henderson, Tommy Amaker and Marty Nessley. Oh, and Vince Crump, too! Gotta love our walk-ons! And I loved the assistant coaches too: Chuck Swenson, Tom Rogers, Pete Gaudet and Bob Bender. (And the managers, too, Della!)

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 11th, 2009, 9:19 pm

CathyCA wrote:I don't know what he thought of it really.

What a cool story! B-)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein