A few vibes, please.

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

A few vibes, please.

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 3rd, 2011, 10:21 am

I know I've gotten more than my share, but if there are any vibes to spare please send them to my home town at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers where the Army Corps of Engineers is blowing up levees in an attempt to save even more land than they have to flood. Lots of dear old friends and classmates are losing everything.
Love, Ima :(
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: A few vibes, please.

Post by windsor » May 3rd, 2011, 10:24 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

There is no limit to the available vibes round these parts. Sending huge vibes to those poor folks.
:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 3rd, 2011, 11:18 am

Vibes and prayers continue for those in the way of flooding. I saw the news clips of the Army Corps of Engineers blowing up a levee near Poplar Bluff, MO. It was sad to see them flooding farm lands on purpose - but if it keeps the river from flooding the town on the other side, I guess all is good.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 3rd, 2011, 11:40 am

Vibes from Atlanta, and a hearty second to windsor's comment that CTN vibes are limitless.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
I'm interested to know how the decision was reached to blow up that levee...who's to say that the town lands upstream are worth more than the farmlands downstream? How does compensation work? Is there a plan in place to help the people who will be displaced?
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 3rd, 2011, 11:48 am

Vibes and prayers for the poor people in the Midwest.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 3rd, 2011, 12:13 pm

Sending prayers and vibes to all who are affected and those who may be affected in Miss. :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 3rd, 2011, 12:55 pm

wilson wrote:Vibes from Atlanta, and a hearty second to windsor's comment that CTN vibes are limitless.
I'm interested to know how the decision was reached to blow up that levee...who's to say that the town lands upstream are worth more than the farmlands downstream? How does compensation work? Is there a plan in place to help the people who will be displaced?
The Governor of Missouri was opposed to the plan and it went through the courts. I don't know what the plans are for compensation - if it comes from the Army Corps of Engineers, if it comes through federal and private crop insurance, etc. For that matter, I don't know what the status was of the land - if the crops were in the ground already or what.

I don't know how they determine what needs to be saved but they appear to have opted to flood farmland and some houses to possible save a town. From an AP report: "The demolition could reduce rising river levels surrounding Cairo but will completely flood a prime patch of Missouri farmland."
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 3rd, 2011, 1:02 pm

Vibing and praying for all those families and friends. . .

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 3rd, 2011, 1:09 pm

wilson wrote:Vibes from Atlanta, and a hearty second to windsor's comment that CTN vibes are limitless.
Thanks, Wilson. As General Walsh pointed out, the decision to blast was neither easy nor hard. I have many friends and family on all sides of the rivers and they are all suffering. Those purposely flooded had known for generations that this was the plan if it ever got this bad and signed on anyway. For that reason, I'm not sure a lot of government compensation will come their way. This year's crops are gone for sure and their houses and farm machinery, too. Gentle flooding from time to time has insured rich, blackest of black bottom land for farming. This, however, could send it to the gulf, I guess. I think it simply came down to 100 Missouri farmers as opposed to probably something like 50 towns full of folks in three states(I'm estimating). I think there is a class action suit being put together and so far about 25 farmers have joined it.

This first opening created a sort of temporary "lake" in Missouri south of the confluence of the rivers. The next blasts will allow the collected water to rejoin the Mississippi. Years ago, towns further north in Illinois had to sacrifice the same way to save a portion of Missouri up near St. Louis. Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we try to control Mother Nature!

That's about all I know at this point.
Love, Ima
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 3rd, 2011, 1:13 pm

:wizard: :YMPRAY: :ymhug:

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 3rd, 2011, 1:50 pm

My folks and brother are in Paducah, and are not only getting their rain, they're getting our rain (eventually). The Ohio is REALLY soaking up a lot of water today. So far, we've had another 2+ inches of rain today.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 3rd, 2011, 2:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:My folks and brother are in Paducah, and are not only getting their rain, they're getting our rain (eventually). The Ohio is REALLY soaking up a lot of water today. So far, we've had another 2+ inches of rain today.
No kidding, Lavabe?! I had no idea you were from "over home", as my dad always called it! I wonder if we're related. Paducah is a great town......even if it IS full of UK fans! It broke my mother's heart when she had to leave.

The flooding started just as they were opening the quilt show this year. How sad. Let's pray they are relieved ASAP.

Love, Ima
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 3rd, 2011, 5:47 pm

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 3rd, 2011, 6:44 pm

Definitely will send vibes to all involved. This is a heartbreaking situation, and I'd hate to be the one making the decision on what to do. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 4th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Z :wizard: Z :wizard: Z :wizard: Z :wizard: Z :wizard: Z :wizard: Z :wizard:
Ask and ye shall forever recieve.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"