The origin of the redneck...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

The origin of the redneck...

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Here's a little quiz. No cheating. Does anyone know the origin of the term "redneck"? I learned this on the history channel the other day. If one of our historians knows this, please refrain from answering for a few hours to give the peons like me a chance to answer. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The origin of the redneck...

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2009, 5:57 pm

I always assumed it was literal, and referred to farmers in the field exposed to the sun on their neck.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 6:14 pm

So did I, 'til I saw the show on the history channel.

Thanks for playing, though. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 9th, 2009, 6:26 pm

I was thinking the same as CB&B so I guess I have to do some more thinking.
Life is good!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 6:29 pm

I'll give a hint. It relates to a specific event in history, which is why I mentioned our historians waiting a while.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 9th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Damn. I know too much about rednecks. :ymblushing:

Red bandannas, tied around the necks of organizing miners, during the spread of the UMW union to identify themselves apart from company armies, sent to make war against the union. Again, damn.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/bug_zapper.html
Jeff Foxworthy says a bug zapper and a six-pack makes great entertainment for a redneck. These lovely items above, don't require a full six-pack (though it doesn't hurt) to amuse those not even of the redneck persuasion. They make a "snap" when contacting a violator, similar to the sound of a cap pistol. Great fun. Really breaks the ice at parties.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 9th, 2009, 7:52 pm

captmojo wrote:Damn. I know too much about rednecks. :ymblushing:

Red bandannas, tied around the necks of organizing miners, during the spread of the UMW union to identify themselves apart from company armies, sent to make war against the union. Again, damn.

I won't provide an answer because we historians were specifically asked not to, but I will point out that there is another possibility that predates the one you provided.

Ultimately, I am not sure we can ever be 100% certain where the term came from - and I wouldn't necessarily buy what the History Channel says.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 9th, 2009, 7:57 pm

colchar wrote:...I wouldn't necessarily buy what the History Channel says.
A resounding second to this. One of the great disappointments of my academic career has been realizing what utter crap a lot of the "facts" we get from the History Channel are. Of course, this has also coincided with a period wherein the crap factor of the History Channel's programming in general has skyrocketed: "Ax Men"? "Ice Road Truckers"? Really? What do those shows have to do with history? Put that junk on the Discovery Channel or TLC (another irony is that what is now just another purveyor of middlebrow reality TV began life as "The Learning Channel," but I digress), and bring back "Military Blunders," "Mail Call," and the like.
</rant> :-B
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 9th, 2009, 8:05 pm

wilson wrote:
A resounding second to this. One of the great disappointments of my academic career has been realizing what utter crap a lot of the "facts" we get from the History Channel are. Of course, this has also coincided with a period wherein the crap factor of the History Channel's programming in general has skyrocketed: "Ax Men"? "Ice Road Truckers"? Really? What do those shows have to do with history? Put that junk on the Discovery Channel or TLC (another irony is that what is now just another purveyor of middlebrow reality TV began life as "The Learning Channel," but I digress), and bring back "Military Blunders," "Mail Call," and the like.

Word.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2009, 8:48 pm

wilson wrote:
colchar wrote:"Ax Men"? "Ice Road Truckers"? Really? What do those shows have to do with history?
I asked my wife the exact same question 2 nights ago. I don't get their programming; I also don't watch it. I love their history stuff, whether it's crap or not, because it's news to me, but I could give a rats ass about some guy chopping his arm off with a chainsaw.

Looking forward to other historical explanations of "rednecks".
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » June 10th, 2009, 1:04 am

wilson wrote:
Good post. :D
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 10th, 2009, 8:13 am

captmojo wrote:Damn. I know too much about rednecks. :ymblushing:

Well, that's what the history channel said. They said that a reporter from New York sent down to cover the incident coined the term in a newspaper article for the red bandannas they all wore. Come on, how can you not trust a show hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus? ;) Seriously, though, I understand that others have been termed rednecks in the past, like the Scottish covenanters, who wore red scarves in support of their religion, in the 1600's, but I would think it more likely that the origin of the MODERN usage of the term probably dates to the West Virginia coal miners and the reporter from New York. JMHO.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 11th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I understand that "Rednecks" could be identified, even without the bandannas, due to the staining on the necks from the red dyes used for them.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"