Collins Sr. says Jr. shouldn't take K's job

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Collins Sr. says Jr. shouldn't take K's job

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Interesting perpective, but I think he is saying he wouldn't just because he would be scared to. That's a wussy attitude I think.
"I would not recommend my son to take that job," Collins said. "They still talk about John Wooden at UCLA. To follow Coach K would be...I don't know how you could do that. I think that would be an incredibly tough job."
Just because it's hard you would say don't do it? That is so much an anti-K philosophy in itself.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/9433657/
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Collins Sr. says Jr. shouldn't take K's job

Post by Bob Green » April 15th, 2011, 7:22 pm

I think Chris Collins would be a great candidate to follow Coach K, but I remain convinced whoever is selected will have Head Coaching experience. Johnny Dawkins is the front runner in my mind although he needs to achieve success at Stanford in order to remain the heir apparent. The Cardinal return all their players next season so they need to qualify for the NCAAT. Okay, back to Chris Collins, I am anxious to see him move on to a Head Coach position so he can be a serious contender to coach Duke in the future. However, I'm not that anxious because the selfish side of me desires to see him stay at Duke and continue to recruit top notch recruits into the program. It is my understanding that Collins has been a huge factor in our recent recruiting successes.
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » April 17th, 2011, 10:15 am

I agree with CB&B, it would be a rough situation following a legend like K, so D-Collins is just protecting his son in putting this out there. I think Dawkins is the heir if it happened right now, but I don't see K slowing down yet, with at least a good 5 years left in the tank. It will be fun to watch, but I dread the day it comes...

:9f:
duketaylor
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by duketaylor » April 19th, 2011, 12:36 am

I don't think Chris Collins is way up there in recruiting. I think Nate James is getting a lot of recruiting success. Kyrie and Austin, I believe, were two of Nate's "involvements". I know Michael Gbinje was as I met Nate in the gym one day when he was recruiting Mike. I consider Collins more of a coach than recruiter. I could be way wrong on this, but I don't remember seeing him being given credit for a lot of recruits. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

An aside, Ozzie, everything OK in Ozzieland? I know y'all got rocked by weather.
Second aside; I realized/learned this week I can compete at Senior Tour School this fall as I'll be 49; I had planned on trying next year after turning 50. Many possible changes in my work-life could be imminent. I am playing a one-day tourney later today, I'll post the results in the next day or two. Jeez, I'm almost a "senior" again.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 19th, 2011, 1:34 pm

I think Coach K has at least another 5 years left. Ozzie and I had alot of up close time with Coach K on Sunday at Bill Brill's service and reception. Coach certainly does look a 64 years young. HE just does. Maybe another good 5 seasons or so, and he might want to retire and enjoy chasing after all those grandchildren, and attending all their games (basketball, lacrosse, soccer, etc).

It would be good for Coach Collins and Coach Wojo to spread their wings, and take a Head Coaching position . Build their resume!!!!

I know Nate James and Chris Carawell really reach out to the recruits. The recruits can really relate to Nate and CWell. They graduated not to long ago, and both played several years professionally. Recruits like that and relate to that.

I really don't want to think about the day, or the season or year, when Coach K announces he is retiring from the Head Coach position. I know I will go into mourning. The Captain, is just the best! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

My 2 replacement options, as of today would be, and in no particular order: Brad Stevens (Butler) and or Johnny Dawkins (Stanford).

Enjoyed reading the article on Wral blog.