2011 Coaching Changes

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

2011 Coaching Changes

Post by wilson » March 12th, 2011, 11:48 am

Several outlets, including the Atlanta Journal Constitution, are reporting that Paul Hewitt has gotten the axe.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2011 Coaching Changes

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 12th, 2011, 12:03 pm

wilson wrote:Several outlets, including the Atlanta Journal Constitution, are reporting that Paul Hewitt has gotten the axe.
It costs them a lot of $$, but they had to do it. I wonder how long until they announce Sidney's fate.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 12th, 2011, 12:26 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wilson wrote:Several outlets, including the Atlanta Journal Constitution, are reporting that Paul Hewitt has gotten the axe.
It costs them a lot of $$, but they had to do it. I wonder how long until they announce Sidney's fate.
I bet Sid's announcement is early next week.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 12th, 2011, 12:48 pm

ESPN is reporting it as well.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » March 12th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Hewitt had to go, fans were leaving which was costing them more than the reported $7M bailout. And next year they're out of the Thriller(yawn) Dome so even more unrealized revenue to be had with him at the helm. I'll be following this with a good deal of interest. Would love to see an up and comer take over and not someone like Tubby.

As far as Sidney goes, he has to be gone sooner than later I would think. Coaches looking for jobs use the Final 4 weekend for networking opportunities, so Debbie Yow is probably going to cut him loose out of alumni respect, as well as to tap the interest of others during that time. Just my $.02.

And as always....GTHc, GTH!!!

:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 12th, 2011, 10:18 pm

A TV station in NW AR is stirring up reports that Pelphrey won't be coaching the Hogs next year. I say "stirring up" because I think the local press is trying to push him out. The usual signs are there: rough season, dwindling fan support. He has a stellar recruiting class, though, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 13th, 2011, 8:16 am

ArkieDukie wrote:A TV station in NW AR is stirring up reports that Pelphrey won't be coaching the Hogs next year. I say "stirring up" because I think the local press is trying to push him out. The usual signs are there: rough season, dwindling fan support. He has a stellar recruiting class, though, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Maybe they can get that jackweed Petrino to switch from football to basketball in the middle of the night. :Boo:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 13th, 2011, 9:53 am

ArkieDukie wrote:A TV station in NW AR is stirring up reports that Pelphrey won't be coaching the Hogs next year. I say "stirring up" because I think the local press is trying to push him out. The usual signs are there: rough season, dwindling fan support. He has a stellar recruiting class, though, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Here's a link. This is the only place that is saying Pelphrey is gone, but it's the local station in Fayetteville, AR. http://www.4029tv.com/news/27156286/detail.html
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 13th, 2011, 10:00 am

Anyone think Tubby might end up in the ACC when it's all said and done?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 13th, 2011, 10:43 am

Jesus_hurley wrote:Anyone think Tubby might end up in the ACC when it's all said and done?
I don't. I posted about this OY yesterday. He makes a boatload of cash at Minnesota (he's the highest-paid university employee ever), and has publicly said a number of times that he and his wife like it there.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 13th, 2011, 3:18 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Here's a link. This is the only place that is saying Pelphrey is gone, but it's the local station in Fayetteville, AR. http://www.4029tv.com/news/27156286/detail.html
It's finally hit ESPN, and they're saying Mike Anderson (Mizzou) and Buzz Williams (Marquette) are the targets. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6212623
-- Albert Einstein
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 14th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Just saw on twitter that Capel is out at Oklahoma
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 14th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:Just saw on twitter that Capel is out at Oklahoma
Too bad. Wonder how long before people wake up to the fact that "Duke players don't succeed in the NBA" is an outright fallacy, and just latch onto "Coach K's coaching tree doesn't succeed"?
:)) :)) :))
:9f:
robertduke32

Post by robertduke32 » March 14th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Capel is too talented not to be picked up somewhere. Rumors already floating that Tech and State may be looking his way....FWIW.

Wherever he lands, good luck to him.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 15th, 2011, 1:56 pm

And it's ofishul: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/0 ... state.html

Sidney Lowe resigned today, ending his tenure at his alma mater. He went 86-78 in five seasons, with a 25-55 mark in ACC play.
robertduke32

Post by robertduke32 » March 15th, 2011, 6:13 pm

I'm sure this resignation wasn't an option really. Being a distinguished alum, Yow probably let him do this to save face instead of firing him. Classy move by both parties.

Now, on to the speculation!!! Rick Barnes? Greg Marshall? Jeff Capel? Where will the wheel stop!!!???

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 15th, 2011, 6:31 pm

robertduke32 wrote:I'm sure this resignation wasn't an option really. Being a distinguished alum, Yow probably let him do this to save face instead of firing him. Classy move by both parties.

Now, on to the speculation!!! Rick Barnes? Greg Marshall? Jeff Capel? Where will the wheel stop!!!???

Would Barnes return to the ACC? I guess he might if he needs a job..which he might if Texas flames out again.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 15th, 2011, 6:45 pm

I saw somewhere that Oklahoma is interested in Billy Gillispie. :-o :twitch: Will post a link if I ever remember where I saw this lovely tidbit.

My brother sent me an article this morning, from the AR Democrat-Gazette, which stated that the Razorbacks were VERY close to signing Tubby Smith as their next head coach. Not sure how true it is after seeing this: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6217992
-- Albert Einstein
robertduke32

Post by robertduke32 » March 16th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Dave Telep just tweeted that they're talking Wojo in Utah....
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 17th, 2011, 1:28 am

robertduke32 wrote:Dave Telep just tweeted that they're talking Wojo in Utah....
YAY!!!!
Surprising Wojo over Collins though. I want to see both of them move on, I like watching the tree grow.