RIP David Carradine

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

RIP David Carradine

Post by Miles » June 4th, 2009, 10:42 am

Awww man, David apparently committed suicide while filming in Thailand. That really sucks. :(
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: RIP David Carradine

Post by windsor » June 4th, 2009, 10:47 am

Just saw that...very sad indeed.

...and suicide...wow. My sympathies to his children and family.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 4th, 2009, 10:51 am

RIP Mr. Carradine. Thoughts and prayers for his family during this difficult time.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 4th, 2009, 10:53 am

That is sad, that is was suicide is even sadder. RIP.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 4th, 2009, 11:20 am

Wow, hanged himself with a curtain cord. I didn't think you saw actors do that DURING filming of a movie. Usually having the work gives them something to live for, at least temporarily. Usually its the guys that haven't had work in a while. Boy that's sad. Prayers to his family. He was 72, right? Hopefully all his kids are grown.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 4th, 2009, 12:22 pm

ARGH! That is awful.

I read this on David Carradine's website, http://david-carradine.com/bio.html, from his autobiographical sketch. It may give some insight into his death:

I've always had an especially hard time with everything I've tried to do. I wanted to be a musician, but I don't have a particularly good ear. I've managed to become a pretty great piano player, though, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I do okay with the guitar; and I write good songs. I became an outstanding athlete even though I was one of those original ninety-eight pound weaklings to begin with. I've made it pretty big as an actor in spite of being terminally shy. I've always envied my brother Keith, who can do just about anything without trying very hard. Invariably, I had huge obstacles to overcome in anything I tried. Had to work against my genes to achieve my dreams.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
weezie
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by weezie » June 4th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Oh, this is really going to upset my husband, a HUGE fan of that old show. He even has an autographed picture from Carradine.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 4th, 2009, 6:07 pm

When I was younger, I loved watching him as GRASSHOPPER. Wow.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 4th, 2009, 6:12 pm

There are some theories out there right now that suggest that this was an instance of auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong. While still sad that he died, I guess that's better than suicide. A little. At least he went out happy? :-o

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 4th, 2009, 9:52 pm

bjornolf wrote:There are some theories out there right now that suggest that this was an instance of auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong. While still sad that he died, I guess that's better than suicide. A little. At least he went out happy? :-o
-
When I read he had hanged himself, the thought that this was a possible reason crossed my mind. Either way it's tragic, but like you say, it would be better to go out seeking pleasure instead of doing it on purpose because he was miserable.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 4th, 2009, 10:13 pm

bjornolf wrote:There are some theories out there right now that suggest that this was an instance of auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong. While still sad that he died, I guess that's better than suicide. A little. At least he went out happy? :-o

%%-
Rather than mod this, I just want to state as a poster that this bothers me. A man died, and whether intentional or not, I don't feel that it's something to make jokes about.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 4th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Sue71 wrote:

%%-
Rather than mod this, I just want to state as a poster that this bothers me. A man died, and whether intentional or not, I don't feel that it's something to make jokes about.

While I don't think bjornolf was making a joke, I do agree that it shouldn't have been posted. Whether it was suicide or not, he's dead and it's tragic.
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 5th, 2009, 7:24 am

If you feel the need to mod it, go ahead. I don't have a problem with that. But I was 100% not joking or making fun or anything. It IS tragic that he died. It's horrible. But I feel much less horrible in my soul if the guy died doing something he enjoyed than if he died because he was so miserable he felt he couldn't go on. Yes, it is 100% tragic that he died either way. But if it was this way, it's 90% less horrific, at least in my view. Accident while doing something you enjoy v. suicide. Hmm, not much choice there. It's like Dale Sr. Would you rather he died doing what he loved, trying to help his son win a big race, or driven his car off a bridge out of depression cause he thought his career was over? Either way is unfortunate and sad, of course, but I for one would rather go out in the former.

Believe me, NO ONE has more respect for the dead or for their immortal souls than I do.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 5th, 2009, 12:03 pm

It looks more like this may have been an accident.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=412917&GT1=28103
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 5th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Here's another link to a story stating that this seems to be a sex act gone terribly wrong:

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment ... 87466.html
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 5th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Oh my. I've done some more reading. Oh my gosh. I didn't even know about this kind of activity. Oh my.

Did you all know about this stuff?

"Well Hung: Death by Orgasm"
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » June 5th, 2009, 2:43 pm

CathyCA wrote:Oh my. I've done some more reading. Oh my gosh. I didn't even know about this kind of activity. Oh my.

I am not sure what I find funnier, the title of the article, or the url itself...
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » June 5th, 2009, 2:45 pm

CathyCA wrote:Oh my. I've done some more reading. Oh my gosh. I didn't even know about this kind of activity. Oh my.

You could well say that you didn't know "Jack" about this...

(Sorry.)
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

It's actually a fairly common practice. I won't go into detail, as I've already gotten in trouble on this board for being too graphic in my descriptions. Let's just say that some men and women enjoy what they call "light choking" when fooling around. It's supposed to "intensify" things. Others get more into it than that, and that's where danger starts. Supposedly, that's also how the guy from INXS died. There was a scene involving this in the Snipes/Connery flick "Rising Sun" back in the day.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 5th, 2009, 2:50 pm

I didn't read your link - but there was a Law & Order episode that dealt with this. Apparently, their story lines are really ripped from the headlines. (I make no claims as to the accuracy of their depiction of how police and courts work.)
Life is good!