The Lion King @ DPAC Durham NC

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

The Lion King @ DPAC Durham NC

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 25th, 2011, 12:34 pm

I went to see The Lion King at DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center) on Sunday. It was amazing and sensational. The best costumes, makeup and puppets, for any Broadway musical, play or production I have seen. The dance was a combo of African and Modern dance. I was so in my element.

I remember going to see The Lion King (Disney movie) at the movie theatre. And crying on the first song. The Circle of Life. I cried in the movie theatre over the Disney animated cartoon. It was awesome, then 1994. My Mother, bought me the Video, when it came out. I still have it, and the CD soundtrack from the movie.

Well, I was crying again, during the First song at Dpac. Just so moving, to see the finished product, that took so many man hours to make the puppets and paint them, and for the actors/dancers to learn to move and dance with the puppets.

Although, I like "Wicked" best of all for Broadway productions.... Lion King wins my vote for Best Costumes, MakeUp and Puppetry.

I think the musical runs through Jan 30. There are still tickets available. Call DPAC for info.

Zazu, Timon and Pumbaa stole the show with their comical relief, from such a dark story, that the Lion King is about.

Mufusa was awesome! The actor sounded just like James Earl Jones. (Derrick Davis, Actor Equity member).

There were also, new songs for the musical. I give it 5 Bouncies :happy-bouncyblue: ^:)^ \:d/

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Lion King @ DPAC Durham NC

Post by CathyCA » January 25th, 2011, 12:38 pm

I've heard that the DPAC is a lovely venue. I would love to see some shows there. I'm glad that you enjoyed The Lion King. Thanks for your review.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 25th, 2011, 12:41 pm

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » January 25th, 2011, 3:40 pm

The DPAC is great. We saw Wicked there last year. With so many new places opening up in downtown Durham, you can really have a great evening in town now.

DWP2.0.... do you think a toddler would be able to watch the Lion King or is it too much? Mine is very good at sitting through a long movie... I just don't know about a show like that.
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 25th, 2011, 10:25 pm

DukeUsul wrote:The DPAC is great. We saw Wicked there last year. With so many new places opening up in downtown Durham, you can really have a great evening in town now.

DWP2.0.... do you think a toddler would be able to watch the Lion King or is it too much? Mine is very good at sitting through a long movie... I just don't know about a show like that.
We saw the show also and thought it to be phenomenal. If she can sit through a 2-2.5 hour movie, then she should be able to sit through and enjoy Lion King as there is about a 20 minute intermission so the duration of the show is about 2 3/4 hours. My office manager's 7 year old was entranced by the show. Hell, I'm an old geezer seeing the show for the 3rd time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is our 2nd year with season tix at the DPAC and we have been highly impressed with the shows and the accessability of the DPAC. We gave up our 10th row seats at Raleigh Memorial which we had for about 4-5 years for seats in the 25th row at the DPAC simply for quality/selection of shows and have not regretted it for a moment.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 26th, 2011, 11:56 am

Kids do well at The Lion King. We saw it in NYC in November. There were tons of kids in the audience. They were better behaved than the adults.
Life is good!