My Life in a Nutshell

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

My Life in a Nutshell

Post by wilson » January 15th, 2011, 11:18 am

So here's what's been happening with me.
To cut to the chase, I'm taking a(nother) Master's degree and leaving Emory at the end of this school year.
Over the past couple of years, I have been operating with two co-advisors. One, an older, very well-respected scholar, is retiring this May. The other, a junior professor, is up for tenure right now. At the onset of this arrangement, it was sold to me as an opportunity to get more advice, more insight, more assistance with all the various pursuits of academia. Instead, it has turned out to be a matter of a whole lot of "ask the other guy."
Particularly in the last year, as I got deeper and deeper into the most difficult parts of formulating a dissertation project, I found that I needed help with some things...the advice that one would think an "advisor" was charged with providing. However, there were far too many occasions when my emails and telephone calls elicited response only after about 10 days and several attempts at communication. Often, I got simply no response at all. Other times, upon requesting counsel or assistance, I had one or the other basically tell me "No, I will not help you with that." This is not an acceptable means of educating any student on any level in any field, and it caused me to begin questioning a) the continued suitability of the Emory history department for my professional development, and b) whether I cared to be a part of such a professional environment anyway.
As I arrived at this past fall semester, when I was slated to defend my dissertation prospectus and then depart Atlanta for research, I was still bogged down on a few points of my dissertation, and the quality of my advisement, which had already been poor for too long, started getting worse. One advisor smells retirement and is never in Atlanta, nor is he on campus or particularly available when he is in Atlanta. The other, desperately trying to get tenure, has checked out on me and all of his other students, to the extent that it has become an open point of departmental conversation (which would seem to strongly indicate that he may want to begin considering contingency plans in the event that he doesn't get tenure).
Stuck between two unyielding and almost entirely unhelpful "advisors" (yes, I have begun placing that term in quotation marks, because they have not substantively advised me for nigh on two years now), I began considering the existential dimensions of my professional and academic troubles. Soul-searching and discussions with my closest friends and family revealed that lots of people felt I had not been myself in quite some time...brooding, moody, withdrawn (see that last descriptor for clues as to why I haven't shown my face around here). I realized that the very solitary components of being a historian--studying for exams, research, reading, etc.--were far too removed from the human relations that really fulfill me, and that they had created creeping misery in me.
It further occurred to me that, in the past two and a half years, the only time I had really been happy was last spring, when I was teaching. The classroom was the place where I put knowledge to work, where it combined with relationships to make something new and to make a difference to someone.
As I continued to mull these things and seek advice from those who know best, I was faced with the fact that the vast majority of American universities simply do not prioritize teaching to any meaningful extent. Moreover, everyone kept telling me that the university job market, always poor in the first place, is in particularly bad shape right now along with the rest of the economy, and showing few signs of recovering in the near future (especially for those who work in the humanities). So, that left me with the prospect of two more years of unhappiness trying to produce a dissertation with little help from those ostensibly charged with helping me, followed by daunting job prospects. Even if I did get a job, it would entail another 15 years or so of the solitude of the archive, which (see above) makes me effing crazy. Furthermore, that job would be a) ill-paid for another 5-10 years and b) God knows where.
I didn't sign up for any of this with some illusion that I'd somehow get rich, but I did envision it as a place of vibrant collaboration and the excitement of learning on a daily basis. Emory taught me that, for the vast majority of those who work there, the university simply is not such a place. I have also learned that while the university is full of great scholars, its great educators are fewer and further between than you'd think. Even before I set foot in my first graduate school classroom, I was more interested in being an educator than in being a scholar.
So that brings me to today. I have lots of good contacts in most of the best private high schools in Atlanta, and have begun exploratory discussions with several of them. All of the people I've yet spoken to (some of whom are quite high on their respective totem poles, and all of whom are well respected) have told me that my credentials are sound, and that a teaching job in one of Atlanta's independent high schools would be mine for the taking if I wanted it.
Armed with that knowledge, I've spent the last 10 days or so researching the whole thing in more depth. Turns out I can teach in one of these high schools in very similar fashion to how I would teach undergraduates, with focused, intensive curriculum and a great deal of leeway with regard to how I design and conduct my classes. Outside of the classroom, working in these places entails not mind-numbing archival hours, but contributing to the school and its community by way of coaching, trips, and other means of building relationships with the students and the school...again, right up my alley.
So there's the deal. I've kept my Emory funding through May, and I'm writing a Master's thesis to be submitted there this spring. Come this fall, the plan is to be teaching high school here in Atlanta. That way, I can do the professional things I always really wanted to do, while also continuing to hold my existing relationships (with friends and family here, and with Atlanta in general) as an important priority in my life.
I was initially surprised at how this all unfolded, but as I learn more about this process and myself, it feels less and less like a consolation prize and more and more like a discovery that this path was where I really belonged in the first place.
Sorry this is so long, but now you're all pretty well up to speed on where the hell I've been.
And if you've made it this far, might I request some job vibes?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: My Life in a Nutshell

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 15th, 2011, 11:30 am

Thanks for sharing. Here's a bunch of job vibes. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 15th, 2011, 11:45 am

Job vibes, hugs and prayers!

Welcome back!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2011, 11:58 am

Thanks for the update. We found some of our children's best/brightest/most engaging/involved teachers in HS to be those at the advanced level courses. You sound like you would be one of those. Best of luck and keep us informed. I'd certainly give Lavabe a call for his insight, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 15th, 2011, 12:10 pm

You've been on quite a journey, wilson, and I applaud you on the direction you have chosen. We need good people like you at the high school level. My experience with high school history teachers was not positive - back in my day high school history teacher was code for coach. I loved history in college, once I had a teacher who was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the subject. I'm confident that you'll be both and will be a positive influence on the next generation.

You description of your "advisors" also reminds me of some colleagues in grad school who referred to their advisor as a "research misdirector." It's really too bad that this is how your experience ended up, but it sounds like karma is sending you in a direction that's better suited to your strengths.

Best of luck in finishing up the Masters, and the strongest of possible job vibes coming your way! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Oh, and welcome back. We missed you around here! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 15th, 2011, 1:18 pm

I feel for ya'. I left my PhD program at the end of August for many of the same reasons you left yours. I considered going into teaching as well but there is a glut of teachers up here so the job prospects in that aren't great either so I am probably going to go into academic administration or out into the 'real' world. I might take another qualification of some sort that will be more marketable than my History degrees, I just haven't decided what that will be yet.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » January 15th, 2011, 1:30 pm

Excellent!!!! Your journey reminds me of Stevo's journey. He is ABD in Political Theory at UNC and had nothing resembling academic advising or support once he completed his doctoral course work. He did thoroughly enjoy being a graduate student instructor where he discovered his true passion is teaching. He has been at Coastal Carolina Community College in Jacksonville, NC since 2006. He started out as a part-time adjunct instructor and has been full-time since 2007. He would have been miserable chasing grants at the university level and playing all those departmental, back-stabbing politics. He does regret not finishing his PhD and may eventually do it for his own satisfaction, but in the meantime, he is very happy teaching and finds his career fulfilling. It sounds as if you will have a similar experience teaching at the high school level, Wilson. I would have loved to have had a History teacher like you in high school.

I am sharing my, "find an excellent job vibes" with you: (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Watch out! The combination of my above vibes with CTN vibes are almost nuclear-strong! Hang on for an awesome ride, buddy!!

Go Duke and big, big hugs!!!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » January 15th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Mega ass vibes!!!!!

I'm quite envious. It sounds like the career path you have decided to proceed onto is one that I personally would find very rewarding and personally enriching. I'm sure you'll be fantastic at it.
-- DukeUsul
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » January 15th, 2011, 2:31 pm

Wilson,

Welcome back! Not just to Crazietalk, but, it sounds like, to yourself again. Good for you to seek out input from so many people, and realize how you had changed in a way that you didn't like; and congrats for finding what sounds like a very rewarding path ahead! :happy-bouncyblue:

I'm sending you vibes for job hunting and continued successes, but it sounds like the hardest part is behind you. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 15th, 2011, 4:41 pm

I don't know if you'd be interested in a move to the west coast, but I went to Cate in Carpinteria, California. It sits on a Mesa overlooking a valley with polo fields on the right, avocado groves to the left, and the Pacific Ocean straight ahead. The sunsets are unbelievable. It's one of the top 10 boarding schools in the country, and you could be a history teacher, a dorm leader (free room and board), and a coach. The weather is amazing, and if you like nature, there are hiking and biking trails all through the mountains right off campus. The teachers there are great, the views are incredible, the kids are smart and motivated, there's great surfing, hiking, and biking. Their website is www.cate.org.

For middle school, I went to St. Stephen's in Alexandria, VA (which is part of a high school). It's not a boarding school, but it's another excellent academic institution. You'd be right by DC, which has some amazing facilities for a history buff like yourself, and it's right next door to Old Town Alexandria, Mt. Vernon, and historic Occoquan.

Anyway, two options to think about if you want a change of scenery. ;)

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 15th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Wilson, I'm so glad you are back with us. Further, it is wonderful that you have found something that excites you.

The biggest job vibes we can muster are yours! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 15th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Best wishes for both the thesis and the job market. I'll buzz for ya.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :monacle: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 15th, 2011, 5:58 pm

devildeac wrote:Thanks for the update. We found some of our children's best/brightest/most engaging/involved teachers in HS to be those at the advanced level courses. You sound like you would be one of those. Best of luck and keep us informed. I'd certainly give Lavabe a call for his insight, too.
Still mulling over this thread. Of the following, I am sure:
1) MEGA ASS VIBES, DUDE!! :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :Pirate:
2) Health comes first.
3) Many of us here on this board attended or know someone who attended a leading tier 1 research institute. I attended two as a student, and worked in one as a faculty member. All I can say is that the tenure demands where I work, a regional state university (and also most liberal arts colleges), match up VERY well with my goals (which are very similar to those of wilson). I think what wilson has described is the subject of a lot of recent discussion in the Chronicle of Higher Education.
4) Be sure you are aware of all the certifications and exams needed for teaching in your state. It shouldn't be difficult to land a job, given what you know and the connections that you have, but having flexibility is important. And be flexible enough so that you can take advantage of opportunities elsewhere.
5) GO FALCONS!!
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 15th, 2011, 6:14 pm

By the way:
EXCELLENT call on Miley Cyrus!
=)) :)) =)) :)) =)) :))
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 15th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Welcome back and vibes for your decision and success.

One of my best friends, another fraternity brother at Duke and a fellow engineering graduate, spent the last 35 years working as an engineer, first about 25+ at Ford in St. Louis and Virginia Beach (which he really enjoyed), then the last 4 or 5 for a defense contractor at the shipyard in Virginia Beach (which he really, really, REALLY hated). He discovered he had a talent, and passion, for teaching, got his certificate, and is now teaching high school math in Virginia Beach. He loves it, although is overwhelmed much of the time as he feels his way through this first year. An experienced teacher has taking this floundering 56 year old newbie under her wing and is guiding the rookie through his trials and tribulations, lending him her tried and true lesson plans, tests, etc. He fully attributes the work to her, no plagiarism there, and he just tried to partially repay her with 4 tickets to the Duke - UAB game as a surprised gift (she is also a Duke fan and had never been to a game in Cameron).

Anyway, best of luck in finding a position that you really love. We look forward to seeing YOU at Brunchgates next fall, and bring that miscreant Earljam with you! ;) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 15th, 2011, 10:02 pm

I'm happy for you to have "found your way". Welcome back to CTN. I'm also sending vibes, prayers and hugs to you. I hope you find something soon. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » January 16th, 2011, 6:51 am

It is such a good thing to know what you want. I'm sure you'll find the perfect job and then be wonderful at it! Lots of vibes coming your way.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 16th, 2011, 7:58 am

devildeac wrote: 4) Be sure you are aware of all the certifications and exams needed for teaching in your state. It shouldn't be difficult to land a job, given what you know and the connections that you have, but having flexibility is important. And be flexible enough so that you can take advantage of opportunities elsewhere.
Cheers,
Lavabe
In many places you don't need those for teaching at a private school, which is, I think, what Wilson was talking about.

On Ozzie's point, Virginia Tech has a great program for taking professionals and turning them into teachers. Their satellite campus up here in NoVA turns experienced engineers and scientists into math and science teachers, and if you sign a contract to teach at a public middle or high school for x number of years after you graduate, they cover the vast majority of the expenses. I've considered the program myself.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 16th, 2011, 11:40 am

As an ABD myself, I have experienced a similar journey. More important than the journey or dwelling on what if's, is the insight regarding what makes you happy and productive in life. You are fortunate to have discovered this relatively early and to be in a position to live your dreams. Please keep us posted as you explore and define your new plan for your life's work.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 16th, 2011, 3:19 pm

bjornolf wrote:
devildeac wrote: 4) Be sure you are aware of all the certifications and exams needed for teaching in your state. It shouldn't be difficult to land a job, given what you know and the connections that you have, but having flexibility is important. And be flexible enough so that you can take advantage of opportunities elsewhere.
Cheers,
Lavabe
In many places you don't need those for teaching at a private school, which is, I think, what Wilson was talking about.

On Ozzie's point, Virginia Tech has a great program for taking professionals and turning them into teachers. Their satellite campus up here in NoVA turns experienced engineers and scientists into math and science teachers, and if you sign a contract to teach at a public middle or high school for x number of years after you graduate, they cover the vast majority of the expenses. I've considered the program myself.

@};-
The State of Georgia also has such a program. But again, it's SCIENCE/MATH/ENGINEERING they want. I was considering it as a failsafe if I didn't land a job in higher ed. The success of these programs depends an awful lot on how fellow teachers accept and mentor these teachers. When I left Georgia, they didn't have such a program for History.

It's good if you have connections to get something in private schools, but nonetheless, I'd also seriously investigate what sorts of exams and certifications are needed for public, just to be safe and to explore all options. I had a friend go teach at a private school, but he later moved to public school (more opportunities). He was most keen on being qualified to teach AP and IB courses. Couldn't hurt to talk with a few folks at Emory's Education Dept.