Calling BS on Elton John Lyrics

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Calling BS on Elton John Lyrics

Post by EarlJam » December 31st, 2010, 3:28 pm

Heard the song Rocket Man at lunch today.

Elton sings, "....and I'm gonna be hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh, as a kite by then."

Now, given the context with which he sings this, he is obviously trying to express that he is going to get schnit-farkled high on some kind of recreational drugs. But a kite? I mean, come on. If you think about it, given all the things he (or songwriter Bernie) could have chosen, he chose a kite. Now I've flown a few kites in my day. Yes, they can get up there, but I think it's a really poor choice of metephor given the context and emotion he expresses. Among other things, he could have chosen a:

Jet plane
Helicoptor
Satellite
Cloud
The highest point of the rainbow

The list goes on. Elton is a great performer, but I think he really blew it on this one. Just sayin'.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
dpslaw
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Calling BS on Elton John Lyrics

Post by dpslaw » January 2nd, 2011, 7:19 pm

It's a simile, EJ. :p
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » January 3rd, 2011, 9:36 am

dpslaw wrote:It's a simile, EJ. :p
"like" or "as."

I stand corrected.

In short, DOH!

-EJ :ymblushing:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 3rd, 2011, 10:27 pm

EarlJam wrote:Heard the song Rocket Man at lunch today.

Elton sings, "....and I'm gonna be hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh, as a kite by then."

Now, given the context with which he sings this, he is obviously trying to express that he is going to get schnit-farkled high on some kind of recreational drugs. But a kite? I mean, come on. If you think about it, given all the things he (or songwriter Bernie) could have chosen, he chose a kite. Now I've flown a few kites in my day. Yes, they can get up there, but I think it's a really poor choice of metephor given the context and emotion he expresses. Among other things, he could have chosen a:

Jet plane
Helicoptor
Satellite
Cloud

The list goes on. Elton is a great performer, but I think he really blew it on this one. Just sayin'.

-EarlJam
Of all the nonsensical Elton John lyrics you chose...
What about NIKITA, Bennie and the Jets, and Philadelphia Freedom? ~X(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 3rd, 2011, 10:49 pm

Bernie Taupin wrote most of Elton John's lyrics, including "Rocket Man," "Levon," "Crocodile Rock," "Honky Cat," "Tiny Dancer," "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," etc.,

BTW, Elton and his partner David Furnish just had their first baby. His name is Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John. I wonder if the child is named for Levon in the song. Or if Jackson is in honor of Michael Jackson. . .
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2011, 3:47 am

EarlJam wrote:Heard the song Rocket Man at lunch today.

Jet plane
Helicoptor
Satellite
Cloud

-EarlJam
He was probably whacked out of his brain when he wrote the lyrics (actually Taupin wrote almost all of his lyrics) so you can't blame him for not realizing the limitations on the heights at which kites can fly.

Then again, maybe it was referring to a kite that has gotten loose and is not restricted by the length of the string to which it had been attached. One of those could certainly get up there. Plus, many pilots refer to planes as kites so perhaps they were using the term in that context.

Or maybe EJ is giving waaaaay too much thought to Elton John lyrics and needs to find some other source of mental stimulation. Like how to get banned from every forum in the ACC.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » January 4th, 2011, 12:53 pm

CathyCA wrote:Bernie Taupin wrote most of Elton John's lyrics, including "Rocket Man," "Levon," "Crocodile Rock," "Honky Cat," "Tiny Dancer," "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," etc.,

BTW, Elton and his partner David Furnish just had their first baby. His name is Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John. I wonder if the child is named for Levon in the song. Or if Jackson is in honor of Michael Jackson. . .
And amazingly enough the baby was born on Christmas Day, though hardly a pauper.

"He was born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas day
When the New York Times said God is dead ..."

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-28/ente ... PM:SHOWBIZ
-- DukeUsul
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » January 4th, 2011, 1:06 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Bernie Taupin wrote most of Elton John's lyrics, including "Rocket Man," "Levon," "Crocodile Rock," "Honky Cat," "Tiny Dancer," "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," etc.,

And amazingly enough the baby was born on Christmas Day, though hardly a pauper.

"He was born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas day
When the New York Times said God is dead ..."

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-28/ente ... PM:SHOWBIZ
I bet when he grows up he'll spend a lot of time counting his money. He's gonna make a lot, so they say.

-EJ
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 6th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Alvin Tostig has a son today.

Did they steal him? :-o
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 7th, 2011, 5:27 pm

The name Levon is from Levon Helm of The Band. The song was named after him as well.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 8th, 2011, 9:07 am

colchar wrote:

The name Levon is from Levon Helm of The Band. The song was named after him as well.
Thanks for that info, Colchar!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith