Need help with my new home...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Need help with my new home...

Post by bjornolf » December 19th, 2010, 8:07 am

Closed on the new home on Friday, and we're in the process of moving.

I needed some help/advice. I have a switched outlet in my family room that's in the wrong place. I don't want to tear up my walls rewiring stuff, so I was trying to find something I could plug into the switched outlet, then another piece into the outlet I want, so that I could plug the lamps into the outlet I want and work them using the switch. I've found all kind of wireless transmitters/receivers that allow you to remotely control a lamp. I don't want to use a remote that I'm gonna lose to control it. I just want to use my already existing switch to control lights at a different outlet. I guess I'm just entering the wrong search terms. Anyway, does anyone know of such a product?

Thanks.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Need help with my new home...

Post by ArkieDukie » December 19th, 2010, 8:21 am

bjornolf wrote:Closed on the new home on Friday, and we're in the process of moving.

I needed some help/advice. I have a switched outlet in my family room that's in the wrong place. I don't want to tear up my walls rewiring stuff, so I was trying to find something I could plug into the switched outlet, then another piece into the outlet I want, so that I could plug the lamps into the outlet I want and work them using the switch. I've found all kind of wireless transmitters/receivers that allow you to remotely control a lamp. I don't want to use a remote that I'm gonna lose to control it. I just want to use my already existing switch to control lights at a different outlet. I guess I'm just entering the wrong search terms. Anyway, does anyone know of such a product?

Thanks.

@};-
This sounds like a job for Ozzie! Paging Ozzie...
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 19th, 2010, 8:30 am

I have no idea how to solve your problem, but it sounds like a good problem to have.

Congratulations on the new house! I hope that you and your family spend many happy years there together.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 19th, 2010, 10:49 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Closed on the new home on Friday, and we're in the process of moving.

Thanks.

@};-
This sounds like a job for Ozzie! Paging Ozzie...
As I read the post, I was afraid you were going to ask me for advice. Don't know off the top of my head. I'm going to have to get back to you on this. Are you sure you don't want to use a remote? How about a clapper? :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » December 19th, 2010, 11:52 am

Wouldn't the simplest solution be to just have a second switch installed for operating the outlet you want to use? Am I missing something?
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 19th, 2010, 1:21 pm

I know this doesn't help you, Bjornolf, but I am reminded of the year we built our new house in San Jose. I was on the property every day, bringing cookies to the construction team and schmoozing with them. When the house was framed in and it was time for the electrician to come and wire the house, I walked through the house with one of the general contractors while carrying a can of orange spray paint. I sprayed every place I wanted an outlet. Many of those places were different from where the learned architect wanted to place outlets. I successfully argued to my general contractor that the architect wasn't going to live in my house--I was going to live there, and I would decide where the outlets were placed.

I did the same thing when putting in shower heads. They wanted to place them so that a 5'6" guy could stand under the shower. I told them to raise the shower heads an extra foot so that my tall (now-ex) husband could stand under the shower spray in the shower that he was paying for.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 19th, 2010, 3:00 pm

CathyCA wrote:I know this doesn't help you, Bjornolf, but I am reminded of the year we built our new house in San Jose. I was on the property every day, bringing cookies to the construction team and schmoozing with them. When the house was framed in and it was time for the electrician to come and wire the house, I walked through the house with one of the general contractors while carrying a can of orange spray paint. I sprayed every place I wanted an outlet. Many of those places were different from where the learned architect wanted to place outlets. I successfully argued to my general contractor that the architect wasn't going to live in my house--I was going to live there, and I would decide where the outlets were placed.

I did the same thing when putting in shower heads. They wanted to place them so that a 5'6" guy could stand under the shower. I told them to raise the shower heads an extra foot so that my tall (now-ex) husband could stand under the shower spray in the shower that he was paying for.
When I (well, when State Farm) redid my den after the washing machine cold water supply hose burst while we were on vacation and put 50,000 gallons of water through the den, I located where all the receptacles and phone outlets (one phone on each end of the couch!) were going to be. Only shortchanged myself one outlet, although I wish I had put them on two circuits instead of all on one, just to have had more than 15A of capacity. Not that I've ever actually run short, even with 8 duplex outlets in a 26' x 13' room. Of course if you put an electric heater in that room, you would run short with only 15A capacity if you did much more. Today, you typically have 20A circuits (and wiring) and not just 15A circuits and wiring, and that makes a big difference too.

indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » December 19th, 2010, 3:11 pm

CathyCA wrote:I know this doesn't help you, Bjornolf, but I am reminded of the year we built our new house in San Jose. I was on the property every day, bringing cookies to the construction team and schmoozing with them. When the house was framed in and it was time for the electrician to come and wire the house, I walked through the house with one of the general contractors while carrying a can of orange spray paint. I sprayed every place I wanted an outlet. Many of those places were different from where the learned architect wanted to place outlets. I successfully argued to my general contractor that the architect wasn't going to live in my house--I was going to live there, and I would decide where the outlets were placed.

Did he take the showers an showerheads as well ?
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 19th, 2010, 5:42 pm

indoor66 wrote:

Did he take the showers an showerheads as well ?
As a matter of fact, yes. He took the shower sprayer thing.

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 21st, 2010, 1:06 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Wouldn't the simplest solution be to just have a second switch installed for operating the outlet you want to use? Am I missing something?
Love, Ima
Well, since the house is done, I'd have to hire an electrician and get my walls all torn up and pay for the guy to fish the wires and all that. I figured a little doohickey would be cheaper and quicker and less damaging to the house. :D If it doesn't exist, somebody should make one. I found three different forums with people looking for one. It would sell. And to answer you, Ozzie, I don't have a problem with a remote control per se, except that we'd never see it after the first day. That's the kind of thing the kids would make off with.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 21st, 2010, 6:13 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Wouldn't the simplest solution be to just have a second switch installed for operating the outlet you want to use? Am I missing something?
Love, Ima
Well, since the house is done, I'd have to hire an electrician and get my walls all torn up and pay for the guy to fish the wires and all that. I figured a little doohickey would be cheaper and quicker and less damaging to the house. :D If it doesn't exist, somebody should make one. I found three different forums with people looking for one. It would sell. And to answer you, Ozzie, I don't have a problem with a remote control per se, except that we'd never see it after the first day. That's the kind of thing the kids would make off with.

@};-
You know, I was only half joking about using The Clapper. It might be a viable solution for you. I was in a "As Seen On TV" store today and they had them on the shelf. Didn't look at the price, but they can't be very much, and they do work. And they're cheaper than replacing remotes, or getting new, more trustworthy kids... :D

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 21st, 2010, 6:55 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
Love, Ima

@};-
You know, I was only half joking about using The Clapper. It might be a viable solution for you. I was in a "As Seen On TV" store today and they had them on the shelf. Didn't look at the price, but they can't be very much, and they do work. And they're cheaper than replacing remotes, or getting new, more trustworthy kids... :D
I paid $19.99 at Walgreens on Monday for The Clapper. I'm putting it in my kid's room. I'm tired of picking my way across all of his stuff to turn off his desk lamp every night.

Merry Christmas to me!

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 21st, 2010, 7:00 pm

"Avoid the clap." Jimmy Dugan

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 22nd, 2010, 1:20 pm

The new Clapper Plus comes with a remote control! I say go for it!

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 22nd, 2010, 6:18 pm

Only, don't make us watch that damned commercial! [-(
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
indoor66

Post by indoor66 » December 22nd, 2010, 8:31 pm

captmojo wrote:Only, don't make us watch that damned commercial! [-(
Clap Clap :D :tease:
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.